Police crack down on "illegal street racing" - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2002, 19:24   #1 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Police crack down on "illegal street racing"

Watch out westies! :oo1:

http://drive.com.au/news/article.asp...XTZRN00ZC.html

Police launch crackdown on illegal street racing
smh.com.au
Wednesday March 20 2002

NSW police have launched a crackdown on the dangerous practice of illegal street racing, particularly in Sydney's western suburbs.
Green Valley Local Area Commander Superintendent Ken Hughes said the police had launched a joint initiative to work with the community and develop a trial program enabling police to detect and prosecute offenders.

Through the program, residents will be urged to formally report incidents of dangerous driving.

"Illegal street racing and burnouts pose a significant risk to the community," he said.

"These people are dangerous drivers who have little regard for life or property."

Supt Hughes said while legislation provides police with strong powers to deal with the practice through legal action and confiscation of the offending vehicles, but the problem had been detection.

"Obviously police cannot be present in every residential area where illegal street racing occurs, however for sleep-deprived and annoyed residents, this is little consolation," Supt Hughes said.

He said it was concerning that these activities were being conducted in suburban locations instead of somewhere like the Eastern Creek International Raceway where they can choose to legitimately race.

Residents in areas around Fairfield will also receive a letter explaining the "Save Your Street From Illegal Street Races" program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2002, 19:49   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

hmm.. another case of the minority stuffing it up for the rest
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 18:28   #3 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by XA coupe
hmm.. another case of the minority stuffing it up for the rest
Yeah! More people should do it and then it will be the MAJORITY! :s6: :s5

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 18:33   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

hahahaha... now THERE'S lateral thinking !
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 04:54   #5 (permalink)

but what's wrong with burnouts? ok, they are a little noisy, but how are they dangerous? i fail to see the logic there. street racing is bad though. you never know what's around the corner.
Old 03-21-2002, 04:55   #6 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

I think that you will find it's all a part of Operation Westsafe that they have been conducting for several months.

I wish they would patrol my street more. It's often a one lane drag strip for mobile stereos and ricers that make that "tish" sound when changing gears. I'm not a big fan of speed bumps in back streets but my opinion is changing daily (nightly!)
Old 03-21-2002, 06:31   #7 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

Sounds like this is the next big thing that's coming out from Japan. I think its called "drifting". 20 cars, with a $2,000 entry fee. Usually organised by high roller laywers etc.

Anybody remember seeing in the papers here in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago, a guy in a late model prelude saying hello to a light poll, spilt the car in 2??? He was involved in this!
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 13:22   #8 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

That was one hell of a crash. Remember seeing the picture in the paper and thinking "that's gotta hoit!"..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 17:37   #9 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Most of the races i've had are traffic light drags, which coppers say your allowed to take off as quick as you like with no wheel spin or breaking the speed limit. Ofcourse we all tend to get abit over the speed limit when we have a commo next to us. Right guys. :s6: :s6:

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 18:20   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by JEM
Sounds like this is the next big thing that's coming out from Japan. I think its called "drifting". 20 cars, with a $2,000 entry fee. Usually organised by high roller laywers etc.

Anybody remember seeing in the papers here in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago, a guy in a late model prelude saying hello to a light poll, spilt the car in 2??? He was involved in this!
'Drifting' is the art of controlling a RWD car around a race track or road sideways.
Generally it helps if you have RWD.............. hence the prelude crashing. In Japan it is huge and from vidoes that can be downloaded from the net, it looks like it occurs at anytime during the day on public roads. The cars in convoy take 90 degree turns sideways and zig zag across the entire width of the motorway sideways. The most popular cars are AE86s, Chasers, Skylines and Silvias/200sx.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub