Political Silly Season - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2002, 15:56   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Political Silly Season

Well, along with certain politicians' beliefs that banning semi automatic handguns from law abiding people will stop things like the Monash shootings or the Lakemba Police Station drive by shooting, the NSW Minister for Transport Mr Carl Scoundrel got up to the podium yesterday:

Penalties for speeding have been increased dramatically and in some cases doubled.

Now, given the NRMA is putting extensive work into a discussion paper on this very issue, what drugs is this guy taking. I'm seriously upset and boy have I got things to say

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2002, 15:57   #2 (permalink)

Oh, for some of you an example:

On a long weekend holiday you will now lose 4 points off your licence for doing up to 15km/h over the limit. Given the attitudes in Victoria etc, this means we'll be seeing a lot of unlicenced drivers in the future!

'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

Old 10-23-2002, 16:20   #3 (permalink)
bhr
FPR *Drooooooool*

Perhaps if they make it stupid enough there'll be no one left on the road for them to fine, they'd be stuck then wouldn't they
bhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 16:21   #4 (permalink)

eek

Too, true AP if they were serious they would have a greater police presence on the road. I think Plonky has a few thoughts on this as well. Still it's all about the $$$$$$$$
Old 10-23-2002, 16:33   #5 (permalink)
THE VILLAGE LUNITIC

THIS IS FRIGGEN BULLSHIT!!, i holy have 4 points on my p's 2 now how the hell am i going to keep my p's for 4 years if this bullshit keeps up, we all agree it only takes a second to creap over the posted speedlimit, this is ludicrist, ohh and does that include over taking on OPEN highway?? getting past roadtrains at posted speedlimit and not having a head on?? they really need to look at their rules because this is getting out of hand. i am starting to write a letter to governemnt about my concerns however i do belive it will be turned into millions of shreads as they dont seem to listen to the people that VOTE them in??? hmm edited by russellw

White NL Fairlane Ghia, 'TQE', Superlows, Limo Tint, Pacemaker Tuned length comp spec extractors and lukey exhaust system with 5L cat, ported/polished head to flow 330hp, custom grind AU BILLET cam, chiptorque HP4 reprogramable chip, Alpine MP3/DVD/CD headunit, 550W alpine V series AMP, 12' Alpine Sub, 18" Advanti Chrome Alloys.

191.3RWHP 15.301@92MPH willowbank raceway. ghay 3.08 single spinner:(
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 17:30   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

mad

Yeah it's total crap what they're going to impose. They reckon since the road toll has increased they are countering with this measure.

I heard also that they'll be doubling speed cameras on the hwy's.
Doesn't make bloody sense to stick a camera on a nice 2-3 lane highway in an attempt to reduce road toll.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 17:32   #7 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

They simply have no idea how to solve the road toll problem and this is an easy way to win votes. Makes it look like they are actually working for that fat f*&king pay packet they vote to increase once a month. Makes me sick.

They haven't for a second sat down and really thought about a solution otherwise they would know that heftier fine wouldnt work. I just wish for once they would get off their arses and actually come up with a viable solution. Pathetic

And dont get me started about gun control
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 17:33   #8 (permalink)
Dual Exhaust Warrior™

REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE!!!! The only way you will get people to act sensibly in any situation is increased police presence on the street (that includes police on foot) IMO as John McMaster said.
Old 10-23-2002, 17:36   #9 (permalink)

Okay. I've lost my civic faculties and I'm gonna make waves. I looked up my member of parliament at www.parliament.nsw.gov.au and have written an email:

/QUOTE/

Mr Barry Collier, MP
Member for Miranda

Subject; Recent Announcement of Increase in Penalties for Speeding

Dear Sir,

I write this email with much frustration, and to be honest much displeasure at the attitude of our Parliamentary representatives.

Yesterday, I heard a news report stating that many more speed cameras were being installed, that penalties were being doubled for many speeding offences, and that drivers risked losing their licences for doing 20km/h over the speed limit. This is extending the current myopic attitude towards speed being the sole killer on our roads, and that if we stopped speeding we would be at least 40% safer than we are now (based on figures stating that over 40% of fatal car accidents are caused by speed). This defies logic and raises an important distinction between speed causing an accident, or rather being a 'factor'.

I note that the NRMA is spending significant time and effort to ask for public submissions on the current demerit points scheme. The details are available via www.nrma.com.au and the discussion paper raises some very good and well balanced points. However, it seems the NSW Parliament, and in particular Mr Carl Scully, have sought to scuttle the process by making decisions not based on public comment.

In all my years as a voter I have never bothered to raise an issue with my member of parliament, however the current 'Police state' attitude which represents an affront on the wallets of motorists whilst other road safety factors are ignored has placed me at the end of my patience. When I hear Police Highway Patrol Officers condemning Speed Cameras as farcical money spinners I know we have a dire situation in our hands

How can I meet with people who have led to the current decisions to pursue revenue based programs on road safety? Where can members of the public (and they're not a small group) go to actively debate the current situation and tunnel vision approach by our law makers? .

I would very much appreciate a forum with people as mentioned above. However, perhaps I can at least have a small amount of your time to supply statistics that show the current speed related focus is a farce, and a product of manipulations of data. Then, we can discuss how the speed camera focus we are seeing in NSW and VIC led to the fall of a government in British Columbia, Canada.

I very much look forward to discussing these issues with you in the near future.

Sincerely,
AP

/UNQUOTE/

I'm also going to join the ALP and Liberal Parties and I'm going to lobby for some of our rights.

Who's with me?

Old 10-23-2002, 17:51   #10 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
I'm also going to join the ALP and Liberal Parties and I'm going to lobby for some of our rights.

Who's with me?
When you mean join, do you just mean join the party as an active member and attend there meetings etc. Or do you mean to take up a role.

Mate if you run for election I will Vote 1, Scooby AP.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub