Portable MP3 Players - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2004, 17:30   #1 (permalink)

Question Portable MP3 Players

Sorry if this is a re-post, couldn't find any threads in a search about this...

I'm looking at buying a portable mp3 player and wondering if anyone has any advice on good brands/models...

My requirements are:

at least 1 GB
FM tuner
$300-$400
Doesn't necessarily need a colour screen
USB2.0
Able to use with Windows 98

I've had a bit of a look at ebay and some of the prices are pretty low...but I guess that you get what you pay for

And yes, I have looked at the iPod (I really want one!) but you must have Windows 2000/ME/XP to use it (ie transfer your music) and I only have 98.

I've looked at a few JNC-digital players which don't look too bad

Any feedback would be appreciated
EL FUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2004, 18:01   #2 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Re: Portable MP3 Players

It would be a much better option to upgrade your PC to XP or something and get a proper MP3 player, than make a decision on the player based on your Windows version!!!

For the other requirements you have there, I'd say go for an iPod mini. Great looking little thing and very good reviews.
Old 11-18-2004, 19:18   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, the iPod looks good but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have a FM tuner. I probably will get a new pc next year or so, but I want a player made by a manufacturer that doesn't just cater for everyone with the latest pc OS. The screen on the iPod is a bit oldschool too
BUT...the ipod is very well thought out (especially when it comes to accessories) except for the lack of FM Tuner
Old 11-18-2004, 19:52   #4 (permalink)
R.I.P Dimebag

Apple ipods minis are really good and so is the Creative Zen Micro which is just out.

Apple ipods have 4Gb and can hold around 1,000 songs whilst the Zen Miro has 5Gb and an FM radio if you really need it. I'll be suprised if iTunes even works with Windows 98... These 2 are a little bit dearer than you stated at around $399 but you probably won't find anything better for less IMO

Reviews
Creative Zen Mirco
Apple Ipod Mini
Devil_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 21:07   #5 (permalink)

I'll be interested to find out what you get because my dad is looking for one to use also in his apple mac.
Ambrose_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 21:09   #6 (permalink)
Linux User

I'm listening ot my Creative MuVo2 5GB and it's great. I think it is better value than the ipod (mini or otherwise). It is basically the same size as the mini, has built in FM tuner and comes with wired remote as standard. On top of that, it has a removable battery, so you don't have to pay $200 for apple to change you battery and wipe your hard drive while they are at it (that's what they do). Since you have Win 98 it need drivers, but it is a USB mass storage device so on other OS like xp or linux, mac etc you don't need drivers. Oh yeah, it's $399. I don't think you can beat it really.

Eibach Pro Kit, 2 1/4" Cat back exhaust, Tinted, K+N panel filter, Zetec mats

Leather/Aluminium Gear knob & handbrake cover, ST170 indicators

brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 21:34   #7 (permalink)

This rocks http://www.creative.com/products/pro...p?prodid=10274

So does this http://www.iriveramerica.com/

Not sure about operating systems though, no mention that I could find
www.falcongtclub.org
XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 00:10   #8 (permalink)
R.I.P Dimebag

lol they're a little over budget XWGT but that creative is large and ugly compared to an ipod but yeah the iRiver is probably the best hard drive mp3 player and it looks awesome. But again you're entering $500+ territory there.
Devil_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 00:24   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother
I'm listening ot my Creative MuVo2 5GB and it's great. I think it is better value than the ipod (mini or otherwise). It is basically the same size as the mini, has built in FM tuner and comes with wired remote as standard. On top of that, it has a removable battery, so you don't have to pay $200 for apple to change you battery and wipe your hard drive while they are at it (that's what they do). Since you have Win 98 it need drivers, but it is a USB mass storage device so on other OS like xp or linux, mac etc you don't need drivers. Oh yeah, it's $399. I don't think you can beat it really.
Yeah the MuVo2 FM looks pretty good. Did you have to shop around a fair bit for that price or is it the same pretty much everywhere?? I'm happy to pay $399, but if someone sells it cheaper...(saw it for $389 on the net, not that I really care about 10 bucks!)

I think I'm heading towards the Creative. Not sure about the iPod, but the Creative MuVo2 FM (like alot of creative players) has a sign-to-noise ratio of 98dB, which pretty good!
Old 11-19-2004, 00:39   #10 (permalink)
«$k8 ø® Ðïè»

from what ive heard, youve gota be carefully with the ipods and things like that....apparently the batteries only last around a year, and the replacements cost a shit load.
danxagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub