Proof speed doesnt kill - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2001, 06:29   #1 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

Proof speed doesnt kill

I was just reading that in the US in Montana in 94 or so they dropped daytime speed limits on interstate highways through that state. They did this as they had a very good record for safety compared to other states. The death rate actually dropped further, then in late 99, the speed limits were re introduced and the death rate on these roads increased by a big 40%. Now in 2001 they are wondering why?
I bet it would be the same here.

Its real interesting reading. It might take you 5 minutes to read, but sure is interesting.
Look at

http://www.hwysafety.com/hwy_montana_2001.htm

what do you think about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2001, 06:40   #2 (permalink)

I remember reading a few articles on that. Apparently the state troopers hated it as what was deemed unsafe and stupid in one county was OK in another. An example that I remember reading was an Audi quattro caught doing 100mph in the lower, flatter part of Montana and getting a warning while a BMW went to jail for doing 90mph in the mountains. Not to mention the stories of idiots who still drove at 90-100mph at night despite the 65 or 55mph limit for night driving.
Old 10-24-2001, 14:32   #3 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Now to the silenced engineers and researchers. Federal law (Title 23) says fact–based sound engineering practices are to take precedence over conjecture. The problem, no one is willing to enforce it – including the FHWA. ...(RTA, VicRoads, Roads ACT, etc)... These professionals work for political entities, and at the end of the day they are silenced from practicing their profession because they have families to feed and they need a job.
This happens everyday in this country. Sound engineering is always overlooked by the drive to save a buck (or raise one through fines) and unreasonable road conditions resulting in many (sometimes fatal) accidents are a clear result of this. It's the same viciuos circle where ever you go..

Great article ED.. thanks for that..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 16:00   #4 (permalink)
Grand Muckety Muck

I wnet through Montana a couple of times when they had no defined daytime speedlimit. It was interesting to say the least. Sometimes you'd see people driving hell bent on their destruction flying by at 110+, but for the msot part common sense prevailed. I usually did 85-90 through most of teh state, but 70 in the Mountains. The reason for that would be the mountains had many tight curves, and anything above 70 seemed crazy. You had a real good chance of losing traction and flying off into nothingness. While as soon as you got out of the mountains, you basically had nothing but flat open boring land. Not so much as a tree for miles, so you felt comfortable upping the speed a bit. Montana is a now aboot a 9-10 hour drive to get across the state. With no daytime limits, it took quite a bit of boring, sleep inducing time off that trek.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 17:26   #5 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Speed limits are an interesting business - I think it's been touched on before here, but one thing I don't think the authorities give enough recognition to is that having a driver's concentration "underloaded" is just as dangerous as being overloaded. In aviation circles it's well recognised and comprises an important part of resource management training for flight crews. I gather that it's also being studied by aircraft systems designers now too.

My personal experience with this as applied to driving is reinforced every day when I drive to town (we live 23km out of town) along an almost straight stretch of 110kph zone highway - I used to cruise comfortably at about 140kph, slowing according to conditions etc. of course - until I got booked doing 124kph (had slowed thru one bit that undulates slightly and limits visibility as a result). Since then I religiously travel at max of 120kph and it damn near puts me to sleep every time - especially when I'm comming home tired from work in daylight. At night, 90-100kph is more than fast enough to keep me bright and alert - it's a self regulating thing.

I discovered the same thing when I drove from Queensland to WA - started out fearful of cops and getting pinged for speeding, but after 3 hours of fighting to stay awake at 110kph I decided "stuff this!" and travelled at what felt comfortable for me - varied between 70kph and 150kph from then on and had no problems doing that for 4 days - never ever got as fatigued as I was during that first 3 dangerous hours at the posted limit.
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 18:51   #6 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

I'm proof that speed doesn't kill. I speed ALL THE TIME and I'm still here. So, pollies and coppers - get st*ffed! It's all a revenue scam!

(Apologies to sensible Police that visit here)

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 19:21   #7 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EDFUTURA
I discovered the same thing when I drove from Queensland to WA - started out fearful of cops and getting pinged for speeding, but after 3 hours of fighting to stay awake at 110kph I decided "stuff this!" and travelled at what felt comfortable for me - varied between 70kph and 150kph from then on and had no problems doing that for 4 days - never ever got as fatigued as I was during that first 3 dangerous hours at the posted limit.
Same thing when we drove from Melb to Maryborough Qld via Dubbo etc with lots of flat open spaces. Whether my wife or I were driving, and no matter how keen we were to keep to speed limit, after a few hours at most we were doing around 130k and staying there hour after hour.

I've long thought that there is such a thing as a "natural" speed for a given car on a given stretch of road, at least for sensible and experienced drivers, and those speeds have nothing to do with posted limits. We were doing the "natural" speed on the way to Qld. in the XF, but I wouldn't have been doing more than about 100k in my FE Holden years ago, because it wasn't up to it even on the same road although it could go a lot faster.

As for officially determined speed limits, we've probably all encountered yellow advisory signs which are so far above what is safe as to be dangerous and so far below what is safe as to be ridiculous. If you can't judge the speed for an corner you're approaching and have a clear view of, you shouldn't be on the road. Unless, of course, it's one that some alleged road engineer has carefully put negative camber on or a nasty tightening radius to catch you out (or both in some cases), in which case there shouldn't be roads like that and the road and not speed or driver ability is the problem.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 20:07   #8 (permalink)

Austroads mention in their literature that a driver will respond to the conditions presented to him/her and judge a speed to go with it. That is why there are certain characteristics that certain speed zones present to its users.

What goes wrong is that our road conditions for a 110 limit are so far above that of many 100 zones, that there is a low level of relativity. I have long said that many, many roads need to go up to 140km/h. I see little sense in going above that with some of the idiots on our roads.

Also, the 100 speed limit for trucks is too low. It should match the available speed limits and be set at 110.

'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

Old 10-24-2001, 20:20   #9 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Quote:
Originally posted by EA S

I've long thought that there is such a thing as a "natural" speed for a given car on a given stretch of road, at least for sensible and experienced drivers, and those speeds have nothing to do with posted limits. We were doing the "natural" speed on the way to Qld. in the XF, but I wouldn't have been doing more than about 100k in my FE Holden years ago, because it wasn't up to it even on the same road although it could go a lot faster.
That is the same as when me and my GF drove to canberra. She sat on 130 cause thats where she felt safe and thats where I sat most of the time but on one stretch of the Hume Hwy I took it up to 150, cause it is a new section, it is flat as hell, and there was ample visibilty. If my car could do it, I would've wound it up to 180.

Quote:
As for officially determined speed limits, we've probably all encountered yellow advisory signs which are so far above what is safe as to be dangerous and so far below what is safe as to be ridiculous. If you can't judge the speed for an corner you're approaching and have a clear view of, you shouldn't be on the road. Unless, of course, it's one that some alleged road engineer has carefully put negative camber on or a nasty tightening radius to catch you out (or both in some cases), in which case there shouldn't be roads like that and the road and not speed or driver ability is the problem.
This is one thing that I think cause most accidents.
They really need consistency with this.
There is a corner on the way to my GF's place and it is posted at 55 however I have been around it at 85 comfortably and could go more if my car handled better.
And then theres the on-ramp off the west gate freeway onto the tulla. It is posted at 70, but in my car I only feel comfortable at 65 and even less in the wet.

I think is where some people get un-stuck, everyone is so used to being able to go over the recommended cornering speeds, that the ones that are correct or even over-correct will catch people out, and bingo, there's your accident.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 20:23   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by (\/)ADXF
That is the same as when me and my GF drove to canberra. She sat on 130 cause thats where she felt safe and thats where I sat most of the time but on one stretch of the Hume Hwy I took it up to 150, cause it is a new section, it is flat as hell, and there was ample visibilty. If my car could do it, I would've wound it up to 180.
I like the new stretch around Lake George. No trees around yet, beautiful road, reasonably flat, and good for an easy 160-170 for the best part of it. And strangely, unbelievably, I am STILL ALIVE! Go figure! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub