quality -what do you look for - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2002, 16:56   #1 (permalink)

quality -what do you look for

When you are in the dealership looking at cars, what do you look for to determine quality?

Is it the the door margins?
Is it the way the door shuts?
Is it the way the ash tray opens and shut
Or the way the switch gear feels and works in your hands?
May be it is even the noise the switches makes!!
Paint quality maybe or something completely different!
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2002, 17:11   #2 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

1. Fit & Finish of Panels & Interior
2. Paint Quality
3. Interior Materials/Cohesion of Interior/Interior "Feel"
4. If anything rattles when the door shuts (ie windows, rubbers etc.)
5. Function of bits & pieces (ie power windows, seats, radio etc)
6. Drive characteristics (ie feel of engine, braking, cornering, weight of steering)
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 17:36   #3 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Having spent more and more time around the various Euro's of my bosses, I am beginning to appreciate (and develop a taste for) the finer points of build quality and detail. I gotta say, the Euro builders really know how to make a car "feel" solid and full of quality. The guys here have got 2 x Mercs, 1 x BMW and 1 x Audi. They are all streets ahead of the local stuff in terms of fit, finish, and in a lot of cases, function.

When at a dealer, I will first go over the externals of the car. Paint, panel gaps, rubber seals and linings, they all get a good workover. I also make a habit of checking under the front and back ends, although I'm not sure why exactly!

I then have a good poke around under the bonnet, just to suss out the mechanicals, check stuff like accessibility, fluid levels, general layout, etc.

Then it is into the car, to go over the interior. I'll take a fair bit of time inside, and go over basically everything. Switchgear, seating, steering wheel, accessories, everything!! Back to the topic, to determine quality I guess I could summarize my technique into these points :

* Seating must be supportive but comfortable, and trimmed in quality fabric or leather. It must be adjustable enough to find the "ideal driving position".

* Switchgear must feel solid, both in terms of its operation, and in its construction. Cheap plastic switches, with a soft vague feel are a definite loss of points!

* Layout of dash - if the stereo / HVAC controls / anything are in a stupid place, why would you want to have to deal with it every time you get in this car! Very important.

* Steering wheel - size, shape, visibility of speedo, position. Nothing worse than a crook wheel in a crook position that feels crook in your hands (MAGNA!!!)

* General fit and finish - carpets, joins in upholstry, etc.

* Pedal positioning - absolutely CRUCIAL!!! If you can't heel-toe then forget it. It also must have a well placed footrest for the left hoof.

I for one am glad that Ford is using BMW as a benchmark of quality, they are a great role model for this particular topic.
Old 03-10-2002, 18:28   #4 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

Wink

what do i look for in quality?........

It has to have a good body. In particular it has to have a nice looking arse and it should always look good from any viewing point.

As for quality in cars...................... :) :) :)
TurboDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 20:18   #5 (permalink)
Jaguar X-Type

1. Doors that go "clunk"
2. Lack of road noise in the interior
3. Interior that doesn't rattle or warp in the sun
4. Quality plastics
5. Tastefull trim fabrics
SnaggS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 20:56   #6 (permalink)
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle
Having spent more and more time around the various Euro's of my bosses, I am beginning to appreciate (and develop a taste for) the finer points of build quality and detail. I gotta say, the Euro builders really know how to make a car "feel" solid and full of quality. The guys here have got 2 x Mercs, 1 x BMW and 1 x Audi. They are all streets ahead of the local stuff in terms of fit, finish, and in a lot of cases, function.

When at a dealer, I will first go over the externals of the car. Paint, panel gaps, rubber seals and linings, they all get a good workover. I also make a habit of checking under the front and back ends, although I'm not sure why exactly!

I then have a good poke around under the bonnet, just to suss out the mechanicals, check stuff like accessibility, fluid levels, general layout, etc.

Then it is into the car, to go over the interior. I'll take a fair bit of time inside, and go over basically everything. Switchgear, seating, steering wheel, accessories, everything!! Back to the topic, to determine quality I guess I could summarize my technique into these points :

* Seating must be supportive but comfortable, and trimmed in quality fabric or leather. It must be adjustable enough to find the "ideal driving position".

* Switchgear must feel solid, both in terms of its operation, and in its construction. Cheap plastic switches, with a soft vague feel are a definite loss of points!

* Layout of dash - if the stereo / HVAC controls / anything are in a stupid place, why would you want to have to deal with it every time you get in this car! Very important.

* Steering wheel - size, shape, visibility of speedo, position. Nothing worse than a crook wheel in a crook position that feels crook in your hands (MAGNA!!!)

* General fit and finish - carpets, joins in upholstry, etc.

* Pedal positioning - absolutely CRUCIAL!!! If you can't heel-toe then forget it. It also must have a well placed footrest for the left hoof.

I for one am glad that Ford is using BMW as a benchmark of quality, they are a great role model for this particular topic.

All excellent points; thanks for saving me the typing!!!
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 22:02   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I'd have to say panel fit, shut lines as the first starting point - it's the number one reason I don't have a Mustang in my garage!! If you ever need an example of how they shouldn't look just take a close look at one of the current models. Great engine looking for a good home.

Likewise you've got to be comfortable in it - the correlation between seats, wheel and pedals has to feel good for you - another big X against the 'Stang - I'm not a big bloke but my knees were rubbing against the bottom of the steering wheel and the poor old size 8's couldn't fit between the clutch pedal and the footrest.

Finally - interior fit and finish unless you really love tracking down mysterious squeaks and rattles. Nothing will give you the sh**s faster than a mystery squeak and you'll hear it over a 1000W stereo - guaranteed.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 03:22   #8 (permalink)
GTHO4

Panel alignment
Paint finish
Comfortable seating
Comfortable leg room
Good interior finish
No rattles and driveline vibrations
Easy accessibility to check all fluid levels etc under bonnet.
Old 03-11-2002, 03:26   #9 (permalink)
goooone

A Ford badge
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 04:28   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jucy
A Ford badge
The man has said it all!!!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub