Question About Digital Camera's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2002, 06:53   #1 (permalink)
GTHO4

Question About Digital Camera's

Looking to buy one around 2 mega pixels, do you get a reasonable quality photo for that or do I have to go much higher?
I know the higher the better but wondering if 2 megs is sufficient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2002, 15:10   #2 (permalink)

Best place to get advice is on these two sites:

http://www.dpreview.com
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

The Forums on these sites are excelent also.
Old 06-11-2002, 19:46   #3 (permalink)
Australian Member

re

2 Meg will be on the border line if you want perfect quality when printing out your photo, I would go for a 4 meg if you can afford it. I have a 1.3 meg and the print out isnt what I would call brilliant. A guy I work with has a 2 and 4 meg and the 2 meg is a bit better than mine but the 4meg is brilliant.
shorsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 20:59   #4 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

Depends on your application mate. Personally, I have a Sony DSCP-1 3.3 megapixel, which is a top unit IMO, although I must admit, I don't use the really high quality resolutions all that often (unless it's for a detailed car / engine shot - hehe). Normally, I use the lowest 640 X 480, as it's smaller in filesize, and better for emailing to ppl etc. Still, I guess it depends on what you want it for. Again, as shorsfall has mentioned, depends if you print them too. Sony cybershots are good compact units, but I've heard very good things about Canon and the Nikon coolpix range. Also depends on your budget too.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-11-2002, 21:11   #5 (permalink)
Enjoying the Ride

I have a Canon Digital Ixus. It is 2.1 megapixel and the photo quality is great. The only thing is I have not printed them. I shoot in max resolution and 1600 x 1200 and if I need to post them on the net or send them to someone, I resize it first.
Old 06-11-2002, 21:18   #6 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Well as has been stated, it depends on the purpose of the camera. You need really high resolution if you want to make large-ish prints, but if it is just for making internet JPG images you can get away with just about anything. My camera is a 2.2 megapixel Kodak unit, and that equals a maximum of 1200x1800 pixels. Ample for my needs.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 22:24   #7 (permalink)
Australian Member

re

At the end of the day it al depends on what you are using the camera for as others have stated. If you only intend on post pics on the web or vieing them on your computer you can get away with a 640x480. But when it comes to replicating photos on paper its a different story. If you are intending on printing photos on a good bubblejet printer then get the highest res camera you can get for your money. Also make sure your camera is exif print complient.
shorsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 22:48   #8 (permalink)

I have a Sony CD300
its is 3.3 Mega pixel..

Since i use it for web purposes, I find i never use more then 640x480 which is less then 2 Mega pixels

If i was a professioal who needed prints, i guess even 3.3. wont be sufficent.

Depends on yoru needs..
but the quality a SOny CD300 produces can be seen on pictures i put on this post
http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...threadid=18970

If thats your requirement.. a 2.2 is more thn enuff
those pics taken at 640x480
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 23:53   #9 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Agreed with all here. I got one with 3 or more megapixels because I knew I'd be doing a fair bit of printing from it. I ended up getting the Canon S40 for $1460 from JB Hifi. Great little camera with grand quality. I have printed out approx 30 shots in full page A4 and about 7 in full page A3. They both turn out superbly!! Using maximum resolution (2272x1704) each pic is about 2meg, so I found myself having to splash out another couple of hundred for a 256mb flash card.

Well worthwhile to get a digital camera, even if it's a 2megapixel unit. They are just so bloody handy, and not having to wait for pics to be developed etc. is a real bonus.

www.dpreview.com was and is my site of choice for all things digicam!
Old 06-12-2002, 02:13   #10 (permalink)
Enjoying the Ride

I agree with you Mr Sparkle - you never know when you will need it. I was following a mate of mine and someon ran into him. I just jumped out took some photos and when all the shit started, he had pics before the cars were moved and proved that it was the other guys fault.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub