A Question Brought Up by EA S - "The Wise Old Man" - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which Option Do You Choose (be honest you wimps!)?
Yes, option 1. Be honest now. 5 29.41%
Option 2. Only answer if you mean it. 12 70.59%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2001, 14:58   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Question A Question Brought Up by EA S - "The Wise Old Man"

As we all know, EA S is the primary researcher and wise one amongst us who is armed with an amazing philosophy streak. Following on from the "Missus Found the Azzurros" thread, and his enlightening post, here is an exam......

Scenario:
You LURV Fords or anything that goes like stink and have been a car nut since you were big enough to push a billy cart back up the hill. You like to spend time with your mates talking octane and breathing burnt rubber. Admittedly the car thing is a bit of a financial burden but you earn enough to sustain the habit without eating bread and drinking water in the second week between paydays.

Question:
If the woman gives you grief and complains whenever you go out with your mates, resents the car (which you own and spend copious amounts of money on but in fact never see), and can't accept that sometimes cars are a boy thing.....

1. Do you cave in, melt into the mould, and change your ways to become someone you are not. In doing so you become a better man?

2. Do you resign yourself to the fact that your life will from now on involve copies of Motor, Wheels, Performance Ford, Ralph, Picture, Home Girls and such wonderful literature, whilst telling yourself you will find that special someone who will accept you for who you are (deficiencies intact)?

Vote now on this purely theoretical and philosophical topic!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2001, 15:20   #2 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

I picked option 2.

although I dont have any desire for ralph, picture, home girls etc etc..

Seriously... I was engaged before. The guy couldnt handle my love for cars, and did not want me modifying the car at all (he didnt even want me to buy a v8 in the first place, and didnt want to teach me to drive manual)

I threw him out in march, and since then I have spent over $8000 on the car, discovered my passion for drag racing, and track days, and I am a LOT happier.
Old 12-03-2001, 15:26   #3 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Re: A Question Brought Up by EA S - "The Wise Old Man"

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete

1. Do you cave in, melt into the mould, and change your ways to become someone you are not. In doing so you become a better man?

If you are a realist, you do. Whether you become a better man, or happier, or anything else is irrelevant. You were not put on earth to enjoy yourself, otherwise why get married in the first place?

If you are not a realist, you are in big trouble.

The middle path is to pretend that you've changed and not get caught, then everyone is happy. This is hard to achieve if you put the new wheels where they can be seen by the missus.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 15:32   #4 (permalink)

Re: Re: A Question Brought Up by EA S - "The Wise Old Man"

Quote:
Originally posted by EA S
If you are a realist, you do. Whether you become a better man, or happier, or anything else is irrelevant. You were not put on earth to enjoy yourself, otherwise why get married in the first place?

If you are not a realist, you are in big trouble.

The middle path is to pretend that you've changed and not get caught, then everyone is happy. This is hard to achieve if you put the new wheels where they can be seen by the missus.
You are of course correct, but you are ruining the thread by such realistic views!

As for placing wheels in certain places, that was not part of this scenario. What are you talking about??? :s6:

I like the bit about not enjoying yourself :s5

'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

Old 12-03-2001, 15:33   #5 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
The middle path is to pretend that you've changed and not get caught, then everyone is happy.
Ahh yes.. the eternal dream.

As for option 2, I'm living the magazine life as we speak. Very distressing I can tell you. Never cave in. Ever. You are you. If you like cars that's your hobby. I'm sure if you liked macramie you'd still have the same probs.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 15:38   #6 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

I'm gonna sit on the fence here. If you really love each other then both of you should be able to compromise. You, as a car lover, should try to cut down on the financial outlay and also on the time you spend with your machine, and she should also appreciate that cars are not just your hobby but your passion and therefore should let you enjoy it (in moderation).

Having said all that, I am single and therefore have NFI! :-)

Good luck, mate.

Andrew
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 15:41   #7 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Re: A Question Brought Up by EA S - "The Wise Old Man"

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete

Do you resign yourself to the fact that your life will from now on involve copies of Motor, Wheels, Performance Ford, Ralph, Picture, Home Girls and such wonderful literature, whilst telling yourself you will find that special someone who will accept you for who you are (deficiencies intact)?

Vote now on this purely theoretical and philosophical topic!
In view of my sudden elevation by AP to the wise and old one (which is half accurate, as I am very old), I must attempt to maintain a suitably philosphical tone on this delicate topic.

It is widely known that unmarried young men pleasure themselves alone, usually in a small room or other private place, with the assistance of what are, quite crudely I think, commonly called stick magazines. They do this in the expectation that the practice will become unnecessary when they are married and have a partner who will assist them in a related endeavour. When the first flush of love's young bloom has faded, they realise that it was cheaper, simpler, and, although considerably less satisfying, vastly less complicated to derive their pleasure, alone, from magazines and fantasizing rather than attempt to possess the real thing on a permanent basis.

Applying this principle to cars, why not just buy the magazines and dream?
Old 12-03-2001, 15:42   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 3Toed
I'm gonna sit on the fence here. If you really love each other then both of you should be able to compromise. You, as a car lover, should try to cut down on the financial outlay and also on the time you spend with your machine, and she should also appreciate that cars are not just your hobby but your passion and therefore should let you enjoy it (in moderation).

Having said all that, I am single and therefore have NFI! :-)

Good luck, mate.

Andrew
Oh man. Do you guys read Cleo or something? All this touchy feely stuff. I get the best attitude towards this (supposedly humorous and not serious) thread from XR8 Chic!

Remember - life is not simple, nor is it meant to be taken too seriously. Keep to the scenario in its strictest sense!

Old 12-03-2001, 15:43   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
In view of my sudden elevation by AP to the wise and old one (which is half accurate, as I am very old), I must attempt to maintain a suitably philosphical tone on this delicate topic.

It is widely known that unmarried young men pleasure themselves alone, usually in a small room or other private place, with the assistance of what are, quite crudely I think, commonly called stick magazines. They do this in the expectation that the practice will become unnecessary when they are married and have a partner who will assist them in a related endeavour. When the first flush of love's young bloom has faded, they realise that it was cheaper, simpler, and, although considerably less satisfying, vastly less complicated to derive their pleasure, alone, from magazines and fantasizing rather than attempt to possess the real thing on a permanent basis.

I can barely type these words from laughing so hard. You are gonna kill me EA S (from asphyxiation due to laughter)!

Old 12-03-2001, 15:52   #10 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:

Actually, there is a middle path here, too.

Just as there are blow up (a very apt term in two senses) dolls for the sick, sad and lonely (and how much sadder and lonelier can you get than to be married), why not get blow up cars for the automotively deprived?

And it wouldn't be half as embarrassing when you puncture the blow up car and it chuffs off along the floor, held down by the replica Azzurros, making suitable exhaust noises as the air escapes as when you (you in the non-specific sense and in particular not me because I've never done this and don't intend to because I have too much respect for my love doll) puncture the blow up love doll in a moment of excessive ardour and it flies around the room making farting noises like a giant pink balloon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub

Related Reading: A Question Brought Up by EA S - "The Wise Old Man"