Question for Geoff P and Ford - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2002, 00:13   #1 (permalink)
[V8]Ford Power

Question Question for Geoff P and Ford

I am a little curious to know why we have never really heard of Ford or even Holden supporting any forms of drag racing in Australia. The reason I ask this is because this would seem to me to be the most grass roots form of motorsport and the most likely place one of your customers is likely to try their street car.
In America drag racing is huge... huge! The most popular street car over their for drag racing has got to be the mustang. It has just got to be.. they are everywhere. Talk about sporting legends... John Force and his long and successful association with Ford.
Is this lack of involvement in Australian drag racing a company decision or is it because noone has really approached you guys about it? Are the management of the relevent drag racing associations to blame?

It would seem to me that if Ford was to become involved with a drag race strip that they would get both the advertising bonus from the track but also the community value by saying "hey, here we doing our part involved in getting hoons etc off the streets"

Think new Eastern Creek strip or even the Newcastle strip that developers are trying to get passed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2002, 00:30   #2 (permalink)
CLEVO CRAZY

with the lack of open championship drag racing facilities here
in australia there seems little incentive for car companies to
spend vast sums of money for such little exposure. hpoefuly
things will change when adrenilan and the creek come on line.
awsmxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 01:25   #3 (permalink)
gone

I understand if the Ls1 boys take their cars to Calder, they usually cover or remove number plates in fear of warranty issues!

However, on the subject, you will find that most clubs in Victoria have a close relationship with Ford.

It is not uncommon to find Ford Representatives at Speed and Motorcana events.

And to go a step further, dealerships are starting to take advantage of this relationship with clubs.
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 01:52   #4 (permalink)
Congo Green BA XR6 Turbo

In Adelaide recently there was a Holden versus Ford street meet at Adelaide International Raceway, as far as i know it was the first of its kind in Adelaide (well at least for a long time anyway). The attendance wasn't huge but one of the Ford dealers that sponsors our club was there and there were a couple of other Ford dealers who attended as well.
www.tickfordclub.com.au
SA Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 05:58   #5 (permalink)
[V8]Ford Power

What I mean is when will see Ford or Holden put in some dollars and help promote these "safe" venues and a level of motor sport that are is so incredibly relevant to the products they sell.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:04   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I reckon its a matter of perception.. Ford won;t see a lot of newer cars at the drags and therefore dont percieve any marketing merit in sponsoring this form of motor sport.
There is an awful lot of money in drag racing and most of the teams involve drive newer cars.. and even though there are a lot of ..how do I put it politlely....shyteheads at drags a fair few of them are normal people with good jobs and one day will be looking to buy a new car one day.
From my experience in various careers, marketing departments on the whole.. are not too useful
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 12:45   #7 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

our major problem in australia is the fact that there are only 19 million people with the land area the size of the US. we went to the drags here sat night after being told some wild bunch cars would be there and 4 showed. 2 had mechanical problems before the racing started so that left 2 along with about 30 other cars. the meet was all over by 9.30. there's 3 in my family which cost about $45 to get in hardly, in my view, value for money. my point here is i believe a lot of companies don't see drag racing as a viable form of advertising due to the low volume of people that attend. value for money my friends. the drags is probably huge in the US but then again most things are over there because they have a huge population base that can be spread over a multitude of different hobbies or pastimes.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub