Quite a days drive! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2004, 05:30   #1 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

biggrin Quite a days drive!

Me and a mate were driving back from Adelaide

I was enjoying some dirt roads near Penola SA, then i was bogged for 3 hours after driving over 1km of soft sand next to a pine forrest on the border of Vic and SA. Had to actually dig a track with esky lids and an esky right down to wet hard sand to get traction to get enough speed to get back to where i started on the sand! It took alot of trying and thinking before we got this idea!
To get out of there i had to be in 2nd on the rev limit for 2km! the car going between 20 and 70 depending on the softness of the sand. Tyres were absolutley ungripped after that effort! ;-D

When we got out of there it was too late for any tyre shops, so back on the main road, was driving a few km kinda expecting a flat, when, bangpssshht. Blowout!
I was in fact quite happy about that blowout, as i have never had one before and was quite interested to see what happens when one does go. It went at about 140 . It made a pop and hiss and was down on the rim in about 1 second. Was on the front. Just slowed down holding the wheel, no problem at all, didnt even make the car flinch.

No worries, put on the spare....

Got to the next town, had a beer and counter meal there at Casterton to relax. (of course while in the pub, a cop in a Jackaroo parked next to me, my tyres were wrecked! He didnt look though and came in for some bettin on the dogs in the pub)

a few hours later, 100km from home, BANG! another blowout! didnt expect that! that was an instant one, however still the air went through a hole about as big as a 5c coin, so was no trouble controlling it.

Was 1am in the morning now, tried to get one of the flats off the rim a bit to shove spinifex :-D! into it. couldnt get it off the bead, even by driving the car over the flat tyre. Tried jacking the disk brake down to brake the bead, no good either. So cut a small hole in the side wall, filled it with dirt and stones for some kind of tyre "pressure". Weighed a tonne! Worked well, but after a while it all started to escape, then the sidewall ripped.(if i couldve got the dirt in there without making a hole, as long as i stayed in the dirt and went under say 70, it would have stayed cool and worked!) I cut the sidewall right round, leavin just a little rubber, put the wheel rim on the back. Drove into the nearest town for the night (Lismore) on the rim, but there was no tyre shop, so no point stayin,so went for a slow drive along the dirt on the side of the road for over 100km back home doing 45 to 75. That destroyed the rim! The tyre bloke shook his head, the car wreckers, where i wanted a rim from laughed! Sounded like a train going through Geelong at 3am! So loud!(as there is no dirt shoulders in suburban streets!) I was convinced a cop would see me or at least hear me!

I was thinking

That was quite a day!

Anyone had an eventful day lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2004, 06:03   #2 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Re: Quite a days drive!

Have you ever heard of a mobile phone mate, Or emergency Phone. Anyways it sounds like you had nothing but a prick of a day i feel for ya mate
AUPS
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:02   #3 (permalink)
Village Idiot

haha
at least u didnt get stuck in the middle of no where

U should watch Bush Mechanics for some tips :) They do some funny stuff on that show, including the spinifex trick. And making brakes out of wood 8)

Jase
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:33   #4 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Honestly, what were you doing 140 with rooted tyres for ? If it had let go in a non controllable way . . .
I think this should have been in the asylum - it sounds crazy enough
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 22:02   #5 (permalink)

There was no reception out where i was! Was quite the middle of nowhere where we were bogged anyway. Wouldve had to have walked 40km to the nearest road! Also i kind of drive in fast forward, so slowing down seems like slow motion. I was happy to blow the tyre at 140(other was at 120) as i am often doing much more than that (often 170 or 180 drifting on dirt) and was interested to experience what happened. Not much point having a blowout at 100 or 80! that wouldnt have shown me much.
Old 01-20-2004, 22:04   #6 (permalink)

watching bush mechanics is how we thought of puting things in the tyre :-) Just couldnt get it of that bead. My mate just bought the DVD so ill see it one day to see exactly how its done. Might save a life one day these skills!!
Old 01-20-2004, 22:47   #7 (permalink)
BOFH

Remind me never to come for a drive with you :s6: Especially on dirt!

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:43   #8 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Oh god...

Perhaps putting the flat tire bac on and doing some quick sharp turns would have broken the bead? Apparenlty grass is quite good for filling flat tires.
Old 01-22-2004, 19:41   #9 (permalink)

yeah! some quick turns may have got it off, although that may hurt the sidewalls so the tyre couldnt be filled with anything again. I see 4WD's tyres seem to come off the bead really easily as soon as they go flat. oh well :-)
Old 01-22-2004, 20:22   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Geez i woulda just thrown the keys and called it a day haha
Damn thats a harsh day/night!
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub