R35 GT-R in January MOTOR - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2002, 18:13   #1 (permalink)
falconS

R35 GT-R in January MOTOR

As suspected Nissan has dropped the idea of using an atmo V8 for the next GT-R and will instead be using an all-alloy twin turbo V6 producing 335kW (*sigh* R.I.P twin turbo I6) here is the story from MOTOR (hope you appreciate this as i am typing the whole thing out) sorry no picture cos i havent got a scenner but i will try and find one on the net.

"Long Live the King- nissan gets set to unleash the feral GT-R - its bite will be worse than its twin-turbo bark.

Looks can be decieving in that the next generation Nissan GT-R will resemble the 350Z when standing still. The effects, though, of 300+ kW on your perspective will blur, even warp, any similarity.
The new R35 Godzilla takes almost nothing from the previous Skyline R32-34 range - not even the Skyline name carries over. The R35 will be known simply as the GT-R when launched in 2005. Gone is the familiar inline 2.6 litre engine, replaced by a 3.3 litre V6 - not a V8. The V6 will be closely monitored by an array of electronics controlling everything from turbocharger boost, eliminating any lag and linking power output with the GT-R's advanced active centre differential.
Based on the rear drive Infinity G35 coupe platform, modified to adopt the GT-R ADW system, Nissan has designed and engineered the GT-R on a comparatively tight budget considering its awesome performance. The engine is closely based on the V6 in the 350Z, although twin turbochargers with intercooler kick peak power by 100+kW. The torque curve, if you want to call it that, wil hold flat at around 500Nm from 2000rpm to 5000rpm. With no shortage of traction or power, the R35 GT-R potentially could brag 0-100 km/h in 4.5 seconds, or quicker and possibly cover 400 metres in 13 seconds flat.
To satisfy the extra herbs, GT-R will wear an enormous Brembo brake package (bigger than the previous GT-R's) and the system will be controlled by a Benz-like brake-by-wire unit.
Equally as impressive is the price. More than a decade after the R32 GT-R sold dor $100k, the quicker and overall better R35 GT-R, may arrive at around the same price.
"We are certainly asking to be considered for the vehicle," said a Nissan Australia spokesperson. Nissan Oz may have no choice but to take the GT-R. Carlos Ghosn, Nissan CEO, has global plans for the GT-R. He sees the R35 GT-R for what it truly is - Japan's Ferrari - and has demanded Nissan develop it for a world-wide export. It will be exported to the US, Europe and you can assume Australia.
Expect to see a more complete prototype at next October's Tokyo motor show. -- Peter Lyon. "

I'll try to find a picture on the net, but it would be quicker if any fellow MOTOR readers could just scan the pic on pages 10-11.

My opinion - i dont like it. I love the R34 and the R35 Concept but this latest picture looks shite. Gone are the chiselled wheel arch flares and squared off nose with the giant air-dam, gone are the dead-sexy 7 spoke machined face alloys. In its place are some softer, less chisselled but greater angled wheel arch flares, a disgusting angled back nose with a smaller twin-nostril grille and tony air-dam and the alloys are smaller six spoke, curved face alloys.
In short, nissan have ruined the legend, we saw subaru do it with the WRX (change the style and sales dropped) and now nissan has killed off godzilla. Sure, they have an even better mechanical package than before, but the AU falcon proved that that means jack-all to joe public if he doesnt like the style. Al i can say is i hope they improve that awful front end before the Tokyo motor show, or at least before they release it for sale.

(oh and in other nissan related news, due to the revival of the 350Z, the 200SX has been dropped. what is it with this company, are they afraid to have more the one decent car at a time or something)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2002, 18:24   #2 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

Poo.
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 18:28   #3 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Well its not a skyline. I wish everyone would stop calling the new gtr a skyline. Look at the direction of Japanese car design, albeit a bit whacky, the amount of cars sharing this design will force these changes upon us, and over tme I guess the design will grow on us. My favorate is still the initial artists impression of the r35 skyline, the curved version based on r34 styling.

Hell, for 100k Id buy it, Id buy it before I bought a gts or gtho (provided these cars by 2005 are not all paw turbo eaters)
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 19:11   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Nissan has a history of buggering up some really good products..

Question is.. "Is it better than the R34 R33 or R32". (everyone seems to like one more than the other).

Carlos may be a very good manager but I think he should have had a hands off approch to the GT-R..

I still like my idea for the 200SX of getting the non turbo 2.5L inline six from the skylines and putting that in it. Then you would have a smaller coupe to complement the 350zx..

Better mechanical package?? I don't think there are many production engines that have better reps than the RB26DETT.

Smells like they just got a 350zx and destroked it, put turbos on it, and a awd system.. ALthough the 350zx can compete well with a Audi TT or simular.. Forget a F360 or a 911 GT2..
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 20:46   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
The torque curve, if you want to call it that, wil hold flat at around 500Nm from 2000rpm to 5000rpm. With no shortage of traction or power,
Hmmm interesting that the GTR is using the same torque limiter setup as the XR6-T.
In regards to Nissan, since the days of the R34 are gone, I don't think we'll be able to see affordable performance as Nissan once was.
A 200SX (not a fan of them) costs $40k but the 350Z will leave little change of $70k.

I think part of the GTR's success was it's lower models. Apart from the GTR's of the past being a genuinely top car, the lower models made the GTR style car more accessible to the public ie GTS-T and GT-T varients, hence the people that bought them would aspire to the GTR and Nissan gets the name.

I think Nissan was wrong in deleting the mid performance models in the R35 Skyline/GTR range.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 02:21   #6 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Quote:
I think Nissan was wrong in deleting the mid performance models in the R35 Skyline/GTR range.
Not exactly right there - Skyline mid performance models will exist for the v/g35 skyline, but not for the stand alone gtr, which isn't a skyline. v/g35 will share the same 3.5L as the gtr, but in a slightly different looking car, ie the skyline.

The reliance on sub models is more evident here than in Japan due to the sub-demographic of purchasors, ie those willing to spend 30k on a used gts than 60k on a used skyline.

Whats wrong with everyone? The car design hasn't even been signed off yet and you guys have written it off ? the RB donk dates all the way back to the r30, around 84-85, it's natural by now to change engine, and although Im sorry to see the rb exit stage left, whats entering stage right looks rather quite appealing.

If this was everyones attitude, we would still be stuck with the windsor and not the boss.

If its sold out here for around 100K brand spanking new, Id be in line to buy one.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 16:51   #7 (permalink)
falconS

here's a pic i found on a fan site, i think its photoshopped, but i dont know. Anyway, this is what they should have done to the concept model they showed at Tokyo MS last year. It looks like a GT-R (which i think is very important) and looks a hell of a lot better than the drawing in MOTOR. It appears Nissan has 'overcorrected' the R34 styling (which, while the R34 looked very good, it still looked like a car from the late 90's) ala Falcon El-AU. Hopefully they will correct this before Tokyo 2003 when the final car is to be shown. If not, then hopefully sales will drop and the R36 will be a bit easier on the eye.

Regarding the new V6. I have no doubt that it is a great engine, but i have heard nothing but praise for the RB26DETT, and the beauty of the RB is the easiness of modification. I talking 400kW+ from a few mods.

Oh well, such is the march of progress i suspose.

anyway, heres this pic, how sweet is this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gtr_jp.jpg (8.8 KB, 80 views)
Old 12-12-2002, 18:24   #8 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

The front looks a bit busy, but still better than the one in motor.
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 23:32   #9 (permalink)
falconS

at least that one looks like a GT-R instead of a 350Z. much better alloys than the one in MOTOR too.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:11   #10 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

they are way out of my price range so i will just stick to the humble falcon. For a 100k, prefer a cobra :)
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub