radar dectectors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2001, 07:36   #1 (permalink)
BOF

radar detectors

I know you guy's in the east have a problem with these but in WA we can use them legally no probs at all:D , was wondering what you guys use and why you guys in the east can't use them then rip them down by the time car gets into view?, someone told me the cops have radar detector detectors and will take them from you on the spot? is this true?
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2001, 07:45   #2 (permalink)
The Third Power

grand fine plus confiscation and possible another grand for not handing it over ?

had a mate done 1st day he got it cop flicked on and off the radar and watched for the brake lights (canberra - syd).

in this cases I think I would carry a few old modems and see if I got away with it
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 10:19   #3 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

that is farked. i personally have mine embedded in my bumper and the lights are part of my dash and are hidden from normal view. If you did not know it was there then you would just think of them as dash lights.

there are a few places that have the laws that you can not drive with them on. mostly n the NE US and in Canada. i run with mine on when the car is running. i have been pulled over and asked to hand the device over. i politely told them they could kiss my ass. i will not in any way remove th device nor turn it off. it is my right to listen to and accept signal waves that are freely flowing in the air. what i do with them is my concern. i was jailed in Conneticut and was later released. i took the podunct town to court and won. I was not a resident of that state and was only passing through. no signs were posted and no information was available to any driver entering or driving through the state nor that township/county that this is/was illegal. got a settlement of 15K for the 2 hours in jail and the incident removed off of my record.

now there are signs everywhere.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 14:32   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Radar detectors are ok here in NZ at the moment any way.I use a Uniden SWS5000NZ.Seems to do everything pretty good.Good stuff John taking a town on in court and winning.Must have felt good.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 15:55   #5 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

mind you my laywer got 45% of that, but heck it was very rewarding. First i am a proud Texan and second i am a proud american. and i felt good sticking it to the yanks.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 20:41   #6 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

Read mmm, interesting

I've just spent an hour going through the road rules and Criminal Code relating to vehicles and I'm stuffed if I can find any reference to Radar detectors being illegal in vehicles or any mention at all. (you'll need Adobe Reader to view files)

Strange, I wonder if banning the use of detectors was actually put through and/or proposed but never passed.

I did find in my studies some other interesting Acts:

Quote:
304A Using pushcarts at night.

(1) A person must not use a pushcart at night, or in hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility, unless the pushcart, or the person, displays—

(a) a flashing or steady white light that is clearly visible for at least 200m from the front of the pushcart; and
(b) a flashing or steady red light that is clearly visible for at least
200 m from the rear of the pushcart; and
(c) a red reflector that is clearly visible for at least 50 m from the rear of the pushcart when light is projected onto it by a vehicle’s
headlight on low-beam.

Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.

(2) In this section—
“pushcart” does not include a trolley.
and this gem,

Quote:
331 Endangering steamships by tampering with machinery.

Any person who, being a person having actual control over a steam vessel, or over any part of the machinery of a steam vessel, does any act or makes any omission or is privy to any act or omission with respect to the machinery of the vessel, whereby to the person’s knowledge, the safety of any person on board the vessel is, or is likely to be endangered, is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for 3 years.

Who says our laws arn't current. :rolleyes:

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 00:55   #7 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Re: mmm, interesting

Quote:
Originally posted by Grunter
I've just spent an hour going through the road rules and Criminal Code relating to vehicles and I'm stuffed if I can find any reference to Radar detectors being illegal in vehicles or any mention at all.
You won't find it there. Criminal Code deals with criminal offences like theft, assault, murder etc. Road Rules are a national scheme adopted a couple of years ago by all the states for road traffic rules so that traffic laws are identical in each place.

Each state still makes it own laws about registration, vehicle standards, driver's licences, blood alcohol limits, etc, which is why radar detectors are legal in some places and not in others.

In Qld, radar detection devices are prohibited by Reg. 51 of Traffic Regulation 1962, which provides a maximum penalty of 20 penalty units for using, carrying in, or fitting to a motor vehicle. Penalty units are prescribed by the Penalty Units Act as $75 for theses offences. Police are also empowered to seize them. Go to

http://www.austlii.edu.au

and go to Qld legislation for details.

Here's some more interesting legal rubbish. Under Section 8 of the Victorian Summary Offences Act it's illegal to drive a dog or goat harnessed to a vehicle through a public place and to slaughter or skin a beast on a public road. I sleep better at night for knowing I won't have to confront any more goats pulling carts down my street and that goats can't be killed or skinned there. I just wish they'd do something about the fvcking goats driving cars!
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub