The real reason for P plater restrictions? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2004, 20:06   #1 (permalink)

The real reason for P plater restrictions?

Is the real reason that some people are so eager to implement P plater restriction is that they are jealous that more young people can afford to have a expensive car these days? A lot of people seem to use the argument that because when they were young they could only afford cheap car that wasn't very fast everyone else should be forced to do the same thing.

The herald sun interviewed Peter Costello and he had this to say.

"On the question of banning P-platers from driving high performance cars, Mr Costello drew on his own experience as the owner and driver in the '70s of an FJ Holden.

"I used to drive an FJ Holden -- not because it was high performance but because it was low performance," he said. "It was so low that nobody else would buy it. That's why I got it cheap. I couldn't afford anything else."

Hes trying to claim that he bought it because it was a low performance car and somehow safer but he then admits he only bought because it was all he could afford in the next sentance.

Also many of the supporters of P plater restrictions I see on the internet seem to get a kick out of the idea of forcing P platers to drive the most humiliating car they can think of rather than a newer and safer low powered car.
lizardmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2004, 20:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: The real reason for P plater restrictions?

Wouldn't forcing P plater's to buy cheap nasty low performance cars only make them more likely to disrespect what they have and thrash it around and cause more damage ? after all it dosn't really take a performance car to go fast!! their only faster of the line ..
ford_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 20:31   #3 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
"I used to drive an FJ Holden -- not because it was high performance but because it was low performance," he said. "It was so low that nobody else would buy it. That's why I got it cheap. I couldn't afford anything else."
I read that as him not making any other comment than the fact he couldnt afford a high performance car. He was basically laughing at how crappy the performance in an FJ was. So crappy he could get it cheap enough top affort.
I wouldnt read into that comment much more than that.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 20:33   #4 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
Is the real reason that some people are so eager to implement P plater restriction is that they are jealous that more young people can afford to have a expensive car these days? A lot of people seem to use the argument that because when they were young they could only afford cheap car that wasn't very fast everyone else should be forced to do the same thing.

Well, I don't agree with your argument there.

I doubt anyone in power - the actual people who legislate anyway - care one way or another what you drive as long as they get the revenue from registration taxes etc, but I do think it's just easier for them to restrict the current generation who can afford more hipo cars as opposed to spending the proper amount of money that should be spent on driver education BEFORE you can get on the road.

It's always been easy to the point of ridiculous to get a license in this country, and now - just like in health, education and public transport - state governments are reaping the dubious rewards of their own mismanagement of the standards in the licensing system.

It's the same sort of excuse and justification they use to push the speed camera barrow. Speed kills so we will punish you for speeding after the fact rather than trying to stop you speeding before hand.

Prevention costs money, where as punishment creates revenue for a government.

Yet we continue to elect governments that would rather slap us over the wrist for being naughty than give us an incentive to be good - in effect letting ourselves be punished for their inability to effectively manage anything they touch - and the worst they are the more we suffer.

Jealousy isn't the reason, it's just a matter of another cheap band-aid fix to a problem of their making that is now too "politically big" for them to solve.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 20:43   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I read that as him not making any other comment than the fact he couldnt afford a high performance car. He was basically laughing at how crappy the performance in an FJ was. So crappy he could get it cheap enough top affort.
I wouldnt read into that comment much more than that.
Maybe your right but he also compares high performance cars being as dangerous as unroadworthy cars.
lizardmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:10   #6 (permalink)

I got my L's and P's in one day in S.A. I went there purley for the fact i knew i could beat the system and get my P's in a day, 12months later i have a full Black licence. First car was a EF xr8 still got that, new car is a MKII xr8 and as hard as i drive both cars i know which i'd rather be in if both had the same power. Having never driven anything smaller in power or size i couldn't imagine how they could be any safer the EF wasn't a rocket but would waste ricers at will but it could haul up when required. What % of people under 25 who are killed on the roads each year actually drive High powered cars i bet a much smaller one than the media is pertraying. Yes there is a problem but restricting what people drive isn't the answer, we can all jump up and down and say its about driver training but at the end of the day if we want to be stupid it doesn't matter what they restrict us to we will be. I's much rather be in a falcon with the heavy Boss under the bonnet and dual airbags in an accident than a charade with um none of the above.

Guns dont load themselfs nor fire themselfs but THEY alone are considered a problem.......

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:19   #7 (permalink)
Origi-Bulge (tm)

I do remember a year or 3 ago in Melbourne there was a police car (a BMW z3 if i remember correctly), going around rewarding good drivers, that was a good idea, and a step in the right direction IMO. Havent heard about it since the one and only news report.

My Cortina, according to legislation is a High Powered car. Now i havent retro fitted any kind of engine or anything to it, its a stock standard 1974 TC XLE pre-crossflow I6 250, AUTO. If im caught driving this thing, *wham* fine + *triple wham* added demerit points to my licence at which point the Police man/woman would smile nicely and cut my licence up infront of me.

The thing that really annoys me is everyday i see cars that
- blow smoke half way down the road,
- rust holes (craters) in the sides of them
- bald tires
- NO registration
- multi-colored, bog filled panels

And if i've taken the time to look around, find, and get myself a good, and eventually ROADWORTHY car i should be rewarded for that, not penalised because my old car used to be "the fastest thing on the block". You cant tell me that even the new BA taxi pack isnt a more powerful car, which P Platers can readily drive on the streets.

Whoa.. way off topic. The real reason i belive that P Platers are the subject of these restrictions is because too many of us are being killed on our nations roads.

Cows would live a lot longer if they weren't made out of steak and leather
Klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:25   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klawsterfobik
Whoa.. way off topic. The real reason i belive that P Platers are the subject of these restrictions is because too many of us are being killed on our nations roads.
How how do those figures compare to young people who die from smoking/drinking/drug use. I think smoking is a much bigger problem than young people in fast cars, sure we might die quicker but at least we'll do it alot cheaper compared to the BIllions and billions they spend on smoking related shit each year.

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:27   #9 (permalink)
Origi-Bulge (tm)

Your not going to kill an innocent family by smoking...

Cows would live a lot longer if they weren't made out of steak and leather
Klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:35   #10 (permalink)
Australian ED XR6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
Also many of the supporters of P plater restrictions I see on the internet seem to get a kick out of the idea of forcing P platers to drive the most humiliating car they can think of rather than a newer and safer low powered car.
Normally I wouldn't comment on threads like this that refer to what someone, somewhere wrote in an article that I haven't read. So as for commenting about the exact nature of the article - I will instead ask you to provide some supportive evidence to back up your claims of the 'many'(indicating a substantial selection of persons) knockers out there & a list of these most humiliating cars.....
In all of the research that I have done on this subject (& believe me I have attempted to read far & wide) I have not seen unacceptable comments such as these being made, though I have been unable to be online over the course of the last week, I am yet to see a listing of humiliating vehicles P platers will be being forced to drive, nor mention of forcing P platers into older less safe vehicles. I have only seen a proposal limiting P1's from driving high performance vehicles & the exact criteria to define this has yet to be defined. It would be of some value to submit this supportive documentation, via the feedback form included on the end of the discussion paper the government still has out & available for public comment.
"Fat men cannot run as fast as thin men, but we build most of our vehicles as though dead weight fat increased speed.......I cannot imagine where the delusion that weight means strength comes from." - Henry Ford.
Wulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub