Reasons for High Road Toll - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2004, 23:58   #1 (permalink)
Proudly Average

Reasons for High Road Toll

Well, as we come to one of the media staples of this nation, the grisly "ROAD TOLL" reports at the end of the holiday season, John Anderson (Deputy Prime Minister, in case you were wondering) has the answers we're all looking for.

Young drivers are to blame!

Yes, you heard right. It's not overburdened and under-maintained roads, it's not fatigue, it's not car design, it's not the old nor the middle aged. It's not even speed!!! It's kids! Reckless, irresponsible, immoral young Australians!

As a young (19) driver that covered some 1500k's without incident this holiday season, I find this more than a little offensive. Yes, we all know there are plenty of young idiots out there, and this topic has been covered many, many times.

However, for the Deputy PM to make these allegations without supporting them with any facts or statistics (however spurious "official statistics" may be) is simply unacceptable.

It is obvious that current road safety policy does not work. We have safer cars, better driver education and better roads, yet the toll continues to climb.

Sorry for covering old ground that's been done to death in the past, but I thought everyone should know about the article.

Nick

ARTICLE HERE

Deputy PM blames young drivers

Reckless young drivers are blamed for adding to the road toll as police struggle to explain how 81 people died on Australian roads this holiday period.

It was one of the worst Christmas/New Year road tolls in recent years, leaving authorities at a loss on how to better deliver the road safety message to drivers.

Acting Prime Minister and Transport Minister John Anderson said speed and the recklessness of young drivers were key factors.

"There are still too many young people ... who think when they're behind the wheel of a car that they're invincible, they don't think enough about their own safety," Mr Anderson told Sydney radio 2UE.

"But immorally they don't think enough about the safety of other people on the roads."

During the Christmas season, drivers also took back roads thinking they could get away with speeding or drink driving.

NSW recorded the highest holiday road toll in the nation with 24 deaths, followed by Queensland with 18 and Victoria 17. South Australia recorded nine fatalities, Western Australia six, Tasmania four, the Northern Territory three and the ACT remained fatality free for the third successive year.

The national holiday road toll stood at 81, 10 more than for the festive season last year.

NSW traffic services commander Chief Superintendent John Hartley said the police spent more than $100 million a year on road safety.

Police will sit down with the Roads and Traffic Authority and road safety agencies to examine what strategies can be used to curb the road toll.

Chief Supt Hartley said among the issues to be looked at are a national road safety strategy, enforcement and road engineering, with each of the fatal accidents to be studied.

"Driver behaviour is a big issue; drivers kill, cars don't," he said.

"It's heartbreaking more than frustrating. We've all had to go and tell parents, grandparents or children of the death of a loved one."

Victoria's acting Premier John Thwaites described his state's Christmas road toll as a tragedy.

"It's a tragedy for the family and friends of those who died," he said.

Australian Automobile Association spokesman Greg Hunting said cars were now safer but road funding had fallen behind.

"We know that improving the infrastructure will further reduce the road toll," he said.

"We as the community have a responsibility and that includes driver behaviour but governments also have responsibilities and that includes improving the safety of roads."

AAP 2003
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2004, 00:16   #2 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Re: Reasons for High Road Toll

Quote:
It is obvious that current road safety policy does not work. We have safer cars, better driver education and better roads, yet the toll continues to climb.
There's one thing in that statement which has me bewildered....

'Better driver education'.....not fukn likely! Thats where the whole entire problem lies, nothing else, just that.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 00:27   #3 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Well inexperience and over confidence of young drivers can cause some accidents, as well as inexperience within judgement of spacing, timing etc. I too, have been lucky driving since I was 17 without incident, (and I have driven over 100,000 km since then) but Ive also seen many young people come unstuck. I have been in 2 major car crashes, one at 110kmh the other on a dirt road; in both cases I was the passenger.

I guess the problem with our age group is traditionally, you seem to either get it, or you don't. And if you don't get it, you end up having a bloody big prang.

Last edited by dave_au; 01-06-2004 at 00:30.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 00:48   #4 (permalink)

I don't know the breakdown of the figures for the holiday season, so cannot comment on whether the accidents were caused by age. More than likely they were caused by poor driving standards across all age groups.

One thing I can say as someone that use to be 17 is that there is a bit of truth to what he is saying. A lot of young people do think they are bullet proof (and not just behind the wheel).

That doesn't mean they're the worst drivers on the road, far from it in most cases.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 00:48   #5 (permalink)
AUPS Member

That blokes an idiot they just have to blame somebody and it ends up being us!! If you actually look at statisics it not young drivers who have died the most!!!!!

Just cause of a few young people out there, the whole lot of us get the blame and have to suffer for there mistakes!!! like not letting us drive at night on the weekends!!!! i havnt done anything why should i get punished !!!
cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:15   #6 (permalink)

"There are still too many young people ... who think when they're behind the wheel of a car that they're invincible, they don't think enough about their own safety," Mr Anderson told Sydney radio 2UE.

"But immorally they don't think enough about the safety of other people on the roads."

During the Christmas season, drivers also took back roads thinking they could get away with speeding or drink driving.

like cs123, I used to be 17 once too.... and I rekon the major cause of prangs on our roads are still driving around like our deputy PM - with their head up their bum. How many times have you been frustrated into doing silly things like overtaking where it is unsafe because of some inconsiderate who drives too slow an holds you up? Lo and behold they usually hog the right hand lane and find the acelerator when an overtaking lane appears. So whats the answer ccording ot Olf?? Get rid of the speed cameras and spend that money into getting the coppers out from behind the bushes and doing some visible policing. Like when I was 17, if we overtook on double yellows or hogged the right lane - we copped a fine.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:18   #7 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

I dislike these figures they come up with. i have no doubt young people have more accidents, but i think they blow it a bit out of proportion. an example is that they say "8% of licence holders cause 1/3 of accidents". that IS NOT a scientific test. most other licence holder groups simply do not drive as much as young people! an example they used on a current affair show was a 17 yo guy driving a 4wd killed a young woman driving a barina. Before they start going on about young people,they should be making 4wds a seperate license. this would probably have been a non-fatal accident if he had been driving a regular sedan.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:24   #8 (permalink)
Serving Defect #3

Typical Gov propaganda as usual..let's see some figures to back the claim

I know let's put in another 10 speed cameras on those notoriously dangerous 4 lane highways that should sort out the problem.

It must be Gov policy to treat the symptoms and avoid the actual problem at hand
fordfan351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:29   #9 (permalink)

Aren't we led too believe that, speed cameras, red light cameras etc, will reduce the road toll ? We all know it is a smoke screen for revenue raising.
Put it another away, if you don't do your job properly, you get the sack.
Speed cameras aren't reducing the road toll. so they should get the sack.
casrms1450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:39   #10 (permalink)
mmmmm....kookyfudge

I think also that the official time-span of this years "chritmas break" (In which the road toll figure is taken for chrismas period) was longer than previous years. Credit Russellw for posting this information, a fact that has been conveniently overlooked I feel.

kooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub