Redlines - or lack of.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2002, 20:05   #1 (permalink)
cArSiK

Redlines - or lack of....

Whats the deal with the lack of redlines in ALL the new falcons? Apparently they cut out at 6000rpm but isnt it strange that they dont have redlines like all the AU's do . Why does the whole tacho that appear in "normal zone" (to 7k-rpm)?? Anyone know the reasoning behind this?

james
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2002, 20:21   #2 (permalink)
FF Moderator

No-boundaries strategy maybe? When you think about it, what's the point of pushing a car past the point of where its not pulling anymore. Thus the redline in a road car should really not be required.

Think of the cut out as forcefulling making the decision for you to change gear, in the best interest of performance and the well being of the car.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 20:35   #3 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Well, the motors Ford are now using all have Very long strokes. The 4.0 is close to 100mm, the 5.4 exceeds that I believe. The piston speeds at 6000rpm will be phenomenal, the strength of the rods needed to hold the pistons to the crank if you were to exceed that on a regular basis would approach uneconomical for a production car.

But, i've also wondered why there is a redline a few hundred rpm short of the cutout. Maybe its there to remind the driver that it isn't safe to buzz the motor that hard. But then again, I'd be assuming Ford over-engineered the I6 (and quite possibly the V8) so it'd withstand a regular thrashing, thereby negating the need for a redline - just a cutout so you dont get a hole in your hood about the size of 3.61 inches, lol!
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 21:03   #4 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

OK. Im not sure why we are having a hard time dealing with the lack of a redline but here goes.

The cutout point is 6000rpm. The engine will not rev past that no matter how hard you try. The 'redline' so to speak is also 6000rpm. That said, there is NO reason for having a redline on the guages if you cant rev past the cutout which is the maximum safe revs anyway.

So no rev line....simple....
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 21:41   #5 (permalink)
aka "Mr BURNOUTworld"

unless your deaf you don't need a physical indication of redline because you can hear the engine shittin' itself. If you ARE deaf you can feel the car under pressure. I don't understand how so many people can't cope without an indicator seeing as most of you are old buggers who grew up with cars not have a tacho at all.
Old 09-30-2002, 22:13   #6 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

One more thing though... aren't cutouts very rough in their operation?

Like the rev limiter on say my mates VT berlina makes the car shudder when you leave tranny in 1st, floorit, wait for it to change to second and then get stuck at 5700rpm in second making the car shudder.

DOes the falcon to this? Or will the engine still be spinning freely at 6000 just not faster than?

My thoughts would see people hitting the cutout and having the car shudder and splurt as the fuel was cut, revs died, fuel added revs rise, fuel cut, revs die etc....
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 22:17   #7 (permalink)

I believe that the Flacon has a soft cut out which means it stops spark getting to one or two cylinders therefore it feels like it is not producing any power but sits there. You can feel this happening.

Commodores have a hard cut out (my mates ones do anyway) which it cuts out all cylinders causing the car to shudder/bang and other horrible things.

Ford Focus: The car that flies :s6:
Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 22:31   #8 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

Being that the car is drive by wire I would imagine that all one would have to do is program the ECU not to let anymore fuel in after 6000rpm. The Falcon's drive by wire also allows engine revs to be limited to 3000 rpm in Park or Neutral thus preventing damage to the transmission.
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 22:44   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 8EHiND
unless your deaf you don't need a physical indication of redline because you can hear the engine shittin' itself. If you ARE deaf you can feel the car under pressure. I don't understand how so many people can't cope without an indicator seeing as most of you are old buggers who grew up with cars not have a tacho at all.
At least I'm there you're still to get there, as for tacho's all my cars have had one.
Old 09-30-2002, 23:40   #10 (permalink)
Currently in Brasil

so why have the 7 on the tacho?
ghentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub