RHD conversion costs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2004, 04:23   #1 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

RHD conversion costs

Hmmm this new FTA has got me thinking...

Does anyone have some idea of how much it costs to do a decent RHD conversion?

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2004, 16:59   #2 (permalink)
ex-Ford owner

Re: RHD conversion costs

Depends on the how old the vehicle is, and what make and model it is.

If you're talking about an old classic like a 60's or 70's Mustang then something around $6000-$8000 would be fair, if you're talking about newer late 90's or 2000's type car then expect to part with $15,000-$20,000 or even higher.

Thank goodness all states now allow us to register our American classics LHD and with no need to butcher them up any more. :)
XYFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 17:59   #3 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

How bout something like a mid 80s Corvette?

Just another Eseries...
Old 11-04-2004, 18:29   #4 (permalink)
ex-Ford owner

Corvette Queensland lists the C4 Corvettes (84-89) at $14,300.00 Inc GST
for the conversion.

But again I'd check with your local Department of Transport and depending on the exact year you pick up you may be able to register it LHD. Here in WA it's vehicles older than about 15 years, so there are heaps of mid 80's Corvettes on the road here for cheap.

I don't see how the FTA is going to make a difference on anything though?
Old 11-04-2004, 19:09   #5 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

84-89 Vette conversions run around $12000 these days. Anything over 15 years old doesn't need an Australian compilance plate, just an engineers certificate.
Old 11-04-2004, 21:24   #6 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Thats dosnt sound too bad. Ive actually got a friend looking at a vette but i was thinking of importing a car from the U.S myself. I was assuming the FTA would somehow lower the huge fees and barriers in place to discourage importing overseas autos but like they say, assumption is a bitch.

Just another Eseries...
Old 11-04-2004, 22:10   #7 (permalink)
ex-Ford owner

The FTA had nothing to do with importing an older car, the only thing you really get hit with is GST, plus the cost of the shipping and agents fees. The GST actually replaced all those draconian import stamp duties and taxes you're probably thinking of.

If you're going to import an American classic I strong suggest that you DO NOT convert it to RHD if you don't have to. Why butcher up a classic and devalue it if you don't have to?
Old 11-05-2004, 00:13   #8 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

XY Falcon, I agree with your comments regarding the avoidance of left to right hand drive conversions, however WA is the only state I know of where you can register a LHD car over 15 years old. All the other states are 30 years and over.

T_Terror, you and your mate wouldn't save that much by importing yourself. The volume importers (who are always bringing in cars) usually get good rates on shipping and have people overseas keeping an eye out for cars at the right price.
If you and your mate are interested in checking out some Vettes, cruise up to Winton next weekend (Sat 13/11/04 between 9am -4pm). A couple of Victorian and NSW clubs are holding a "Corvettes only" track day up there. There should be around 40 Corvettes there.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:49   #9 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Kiss
XY Falcon, I agree with your comments regarding the avoidance of left to right hand drive conversions, however WA is the only state I know of where you can register a LHD car over 15 years old. All the other states are 30 years and over.

T_Terror, you and your mate wouldn't save that much by importing yourself. The volume importers (who are always bringing in cars) usually get good rates on shipping and have people overseas keeping an eye out for cars at the right price.
If you and your mate are interested in checking out some Vettes, cruise up to Winton next weekend (Sat 13/11/04 between 9am -4pm). A couple of Victorian and NSW clubs are holding a "Corvettes only" track day up there. There should be around 40 Corvettes there.

Thats unfortunate. I was refering to the SEVS laws which make it difficult to import cars younger than 15years.

I agree on not modifying classics, but I wouldnt put the C4 in that category except maybe the ZR1s. I wouldnt be happy with the stock equipment in most cars anyway.

Thanks for the info ThunderKiss i may definitly have a look. I love my Fords but the last time i happened upon a Corvette Cruise and saw a C5 i went weak at the knees.

Just another Eseries...
Old 11-07-2004, 17:39   #10 (permalink)
ex-Ford owner

Before you get involved in buying and converting a C4 Corvette to RHD make sure you test drive one somewhere as you might find it's too uncomfortable.

The C4's are setup with the engine, gearbox, gearbox tunnel and floor plan designed to offset the big bulk slightly to the RH side of the car. This is done so the LH driver has a good seating position and well laid out pedal custer central to the steering wheel (as you'd expect).

When a C4 in converted to RHD the pedal cluster is a tight fit in the RH passenger floor area and usually has to be installed right of center compared to the steering wheel just to fit them in. Obviously having your legs/feet pushed right of the center line of the steering wheel instead of straight ahead can be uncomfortable for some people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub