RHD vs. LHD - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2001, 13:07   #1 (permalink)

RHD vs. LHD

How many of you accustomed to RHD have driven a LHD and vice versa? I can only imagine how odd it must feel.
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2001, 19:23   #2 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

When we were in Paris I went to jump in the front passenger seat of a taxi (LH side) and opened the door. Oh crap! Steering wheel I thought! Was a bit freaky sitting in the right hand side with no steering wheel let me tell you!
Didn't actually drive one though..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 20:36   #3 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

well being from the US i am used to LHD. but i was a mailman for 5 years of my life and drove RHD's all day. it is not that hard to switch back and forth. Actually it is quite easy.

Wife was a rural letter carrier and we had a RHD subaru and that thing was fun to drive.

go out on the freeway with her driving. i would be in the pass seat holding a fake stearing wheel. look at a guy next to us and make sure we had his attention..... at that point I would start looking around wildly and then hang out the window scream at him holding the steering wheel.

hehehe should have seen that guys face. he slammed on the brakes and almost hit the wall when he saw us.

it was funny a hell
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 22:33   #4 (permalink)

Never driven left ahnd drive ,but i have driven and owned soem European design cars that have some of the equipment on the wrong side of the car. For example the indicators on the left side instead of the right, boot release in the glovebox that kind of stuff
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 22:58   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

As I've owned a few Mustangs which have remained LHD I can say it is not too hard to operate them on the road here .What got me was a holiday to Hawaii. Now operating a car with the wheel on the wrong side on your home roads is OK but driving on the wrong side of the road in Hawaii is another thing. I kept looking in the wrong direction when pulling out of intersections and after spending some time on a more remote beach area with no traffic ,I pulled out and drove for about a mile on the wrong side of the road until i saw a car approaching and thought WTF is this guy doing until i realised it was me in the wrong and went back onto the correct side of the road. Even crossing the road on foot it seems you have an automatic reaction to look in the wrong direction before stepping off the path.It's hard to explain it .
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 09:52   #6 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

i have been in England and never had a prob driving. heheh
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 17:01   #7 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

My brain must get stuck in RHD mode.:crazy1: :crazy1:
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 23:16   #8 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

I also was in hawaii, Honolulu? and it felt really weird. I didnt drive at the time but even in the taxi sitting in the front seat on the right felt weird.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 16:30   #9 (permalink)
Capri mkIII Member

cool rhd vs lhd

Hi all ,

Not a problem , I lived in france for a year and had to drive around Dijon alot . This first time was wierd , kept hitting my hand off the door when I went to change gear . I also drove a RHD Transit in France , now this is the wierd one , never knowing if its safe to over take and stuff but at the end of the trip I got used to hanging back a fare bit then going for it .

P.S. FRENCH DIVERS ARE NUTTERS!!!!! The wifes french and she is just as bad over here as she was back home , no repect for lanes , speed , no signals , sometimes not even lights!!!!!!
28s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 17:32   #10 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by 28s3
P.S. FRENCH DIVERS ARE NUTTERS!!!!!
Damn straight they are!! We spent 2 days in Paris in September. Man those guys are crazzee!! And they reckon Rome's worse! Man I'd hate to see that!.. :s3
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub