Road Safety Poll - Revenue or a Real Solution - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What is your preferred comment on Speeding Enforcement?
Please roll out more cameras. They save lives and make the roads safer for us all. 1 2.50%
Keep the current number of cameras. It works well. The status quo is a good thing. 0 0%
Remove all speed cameras as they raise revenue and do little to add to road safety. I will vote for whoever does this and seeks real road safety solutions. 32 80.00%
Other. Please make comments in a post within this thread. 7 17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2002, 16:11   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Read Road Safety Poll - Revenue or a Real Solution

Like we have discussed before, this thread is about the current blatant taxation of motorists by speed cameras as opposed to pro-active policing of driver behaviour that leads to accidents, road trauma, and deaths.

Over Easter NSW Police issues in excess of 11,000 speed infringements. At a typical amount of $270+ each, that means they pulled in at least $3Million from speeding alone.

So, it's time for action. I am joining a political party and I'm going to make some noise. To help me put across the feeling of the motoring public, please post your vote on my poll. Please write a simple SHORT comment saying how you voted and why.

I will link this thread to the MP who is responsible for this portfolio in NSW so make sure you write succinctly and keep it short. Do not post anything that would not be constructive in our submission.

A.Pete.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2002, 16:17   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Aussie Pete;
I voted for option 3 saying I will vote for whoever seeks real road safety solutions as opposed to revenue or taxation. The current system has had its time and does not work.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 16:30   #3 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

AP...

Not that its likely - but if the gov ever actually do something proactive about driver education, I am sure they will state that they need the speed camera's (or was is safety camera's?) to cover the cost of the program.

Anyways - I voted 3.
Old 04-01-2002, 16:45   #4 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

No. 3 here. I'm all for speed cameras to catch people who are speeding, BUT I do not agree with cameras to catch people travelling at 3k's over the limit on a straight stretch of road in broad daylight. That's BS in it's purest form. I reckon if people are given some slack (say 10k's over posted limit, barring school zones) people will concentrate more on the road and their driving rather than their speedo.
Time for a change in thinking. I'll vote for anyone who has the balls to stand up and be counted.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 16:47   #5 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member

No.3 here.. How about the government does something to stop pedestrians running out in front of cars.... roads are for cars.. not people.

1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia 5.0L Wagon,
Lowered, Tinted, 17" Speedy Ravens & 2.5" Sports Exhaust.
( 1 of 26 built )

AND

1985 Telstar TX5 Turbo, stock as a rock.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 16:54   #6 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

My vote is for other.

While I do consider the speed/safety cameras as blatant revenue raising with very little to do with safety I am not in favour of reckless speed either. If the cameras at least keep a lid on that then OK. Though $200+ fines plus demerit points is a bit much, how about compulsory attendance at a defensive driving course for the first few offenses. Continual offenders should have the book thrown at them if the speed is genuinely dangerous (ie. in suburban streets not 5km over on dual carriageway way in good conditions etc).

I will view favourable any political party that genuinely educates road users and seeks to remove idiots. That has in place sensible advisory speed signs and allows for driver/vehicle/condition considerations in all circumstances.

At the moment - while revenue is being collected from those caught speeding - it's not coming out of my pockets (touch wood).
Old 04-01-2002, 16:56   #7 (permalink)

I think they need some speed cameras but as others have said not set to 3km/h over the limit on a dead flat smooth expressway. They should be set up at known accident black spots and the revenue from them to go back into roads and policing.

Driver education is the key. It should be mandantory for everybody to do an advanced driving type course as part of their licence test. The govt should subsidise the cost from all the speed camera/traffic fines.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 17:10   #8 (permalink)

i voted 4 - other
i have no issues with speed cameras, but i do have an issue with revenue raising. what i'd like to see is ALL funds raised through fines to go back into driver education and training, and roads. and of course, mark all speed camera locations... i think that's quite realistic
Old 04-01-2002, 17:11   #9 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

I agree with Falcoon on both points, speed cameras should only be set up where they can increase the safety of an area, not somewhere where they can make money with no effect on the safety of commuters.

Driver education truly is the key, and compulsory advanced driving courses are the way to go. I haven't done one yet - I hope to go to the Ford course in Auckland in the near future.

Just as my thought, perhaps money would be better spent on more police cars and the time they spend on the road than ad campaigns. Have you found anyone that takes any notice of them yet?

Also, this holiday Easter had the lowest road toll for a while, just 2 people died in the same crash. However, 2 is 2 to many. And there is your tounge twister for today!
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 17:13   #10 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

No.3 for me too.

Like FM said, a couple of cameras that keep ridiculous speed under control would be ok... I mean exactly how many lives versus money do they expect to save from booking people that are 3kmh over the limit?

The 50 zones are a good thing in my opinion, its just that they were put there for the wrong reasons, and that they have SOOO much attention drawn to them, that they are the be all and end all of road safety which is obviously not true since more people died after it was brought in.

The Key here is not to stop people from driving dangerously by making them pay an amount of money..... The REAL solution would be to stop people driving dangerously by teaching them how to DRIVE a car, not parallel park and do 3 point turns.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub