Road Safety's Conflict of Interest - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2004, 17:48   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Road Safety's Conflict of Interest

Ask yourself the following questions:

Why are many members of the Victorian TAC board also on the Monash University Accident Research Centre board?

Why do MUARC research papers funded by bodies such as the TAC always match the aims of TAC (speed kills) or support TAC programs (covert cameras on safe roads)?

How is this co-existence of board members and the delegation of funding not a serious conflict of interest?

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2004, 18:04   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: Road Safety's Conflict of Interest

Isnt there a law or something against practices and affiliations like that? Wouldnt it amount to an equivalent of insider trading or something? Seems pretty suss to me.
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 23:44   #3 (permalink)
Circuit board dressups!

you may have uncovered something here...
Old 05-04-2004, 23:51   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like the kinda stuff that was going on under the Nazis or Communist Russia....
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 23:54   #5 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

time to get Today/Tonight or ACA onto it
Old 05-04-2004, 23:55   #6 (permalink)
BOFH

Old news there AP (I know your knew about this AGES ago). Problem is that no one in the media is asking the questions in a serious way. No one is going at them without compromise. Basically, welcome to the "we'll do it our way screw the public" state governments.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:56   #7 (permalink)
Australian ED XR6 Member

Most of these road safety commitees & the like are funded by companies that have most to gain from preventing accidents, reducing repair costs. The major shareholders of these companies are those that also appoint the commitees too, so it's the good old "you scratch my back & I'll scratch yours routine".
So why doesn't anyone do anything about it. The reason is simple - If you so much as complain they use the how can you say road deaths are acceptable routine on you. NOBODY is arguing that - the techniques employed to reduce these things ARE!!!.
If these bodies were serious in reducing the toll, why not increase spending on driver education(advanced driver training etc). After you prove to one instructor how well you can perform in a 5 minute drive around the block, you're pretty much left to your own devices(yeah sure they give you probation & the like, but NO reassessment on what you do/don't know)
There's PLENTY of different approaches that SHOULD be tried instead of the brilliant, "I KNOW" - lets increase driver frustration levels & make pack more vehicles onto roads that are loaded beyond capacity, & make then travel at an even slower speed in vehicles that are today of a higher safety standard then when we built the roads 30 odd years ago!

Wulos takes his medication & attempts to calm down.......
Wulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:59   #8 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

News to me, but I'm not exactly fainting with shock here
Personally I agree with Wulos, I know some people that should never have been issued licences, but because they drove round the block.....

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 15:30   #9 (permalink)
Doing Fieldwork

Now, firstly, I want to say that the state of play on the roads sickens me, so many people getting killed, killing themselves and others, and even more getting seriously harmed, but I would also like to point out there has been some questions asked about the TAC's methodology when trying to measure the effectiveness of its so-called 'road safety' ads. I am bringing this up not because I want to go faster or I think driver ed should be overhauled, I wouldn't agree with most people here about these issues, but because the TAC's method of spreading the road safety message is seriously flawed. They work from a top-down, linear 'direct effects' model of communication. People are taught this at uni so they can move beyond it and study more current and incredibly complex approaches to communication. How do I know? Because I am a uni tutor in a communications unit and my PhD is on modified-car culture. I tackle the road safety literature not as some sycophantic sheep that will believe anything they read just as long as it says that 'driving fast is bad'. Driving fast IS bad, but it is certainly not the only issue to do with safe driving, plus the messages the TAC advertises are framed in such an authoritarian way most people they are trying to address (those most 'at-risk') simply interogate the message and dismiss it. (Think of the ad with the two falcons, how it has been totally gutted by enthusiasts on many different online forums.) When they did have a relatively independent group assess whether the ads they made were effective (from a SA uni), measuring according to a cost-benefit analysis they were found to be seriously flawed. The debate that followed was published in one of the market research journals.
Dr_Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 15:50   #10 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I read something in the age a little while ago about last years road toll where the road toll has dropped significantly, but injuries from accidents that require a visit to the emergency ward were up by heaps.

Could be that the speed cameras have done nothing to affect the road toll, but the level of safety in cars has? So instead of dying in the accident, you live, just in a painful way.

Since mid 90's the average age of cars in VIC has lowered by 1.2yrs (or something cant remeber exact figure), and back in the early/mid 90's there was a study which found if the average age of cars was down by 1yr, it would save a potential 60-90 lives per year.

But who cares what we think? we are motorists and dont know any better.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub