Road Toll..wonder whats next - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2002, 08:53   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Road Toll..wonder whats next

have a read

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...206265033.html

apparently the measures aren't working .. like the 50kmh limits .. We will get a committee to tell us to slow down even further most likely. The opposition are saying the obvious things about people concentrating on speedo instead of whats ahead.. but I would bet once they were in power and sawthe $$ coming in they would be very very quiet..
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2002, 13:30   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Well at least this enquiry will take submissions from the Public so the various enthusiast clubs and even the combined membership of Forums such as this have the opportunity to have their say on these issues.
There have been a number of threads in this Forum on various enforcement / safety issues and we have an opportunity in Victoria to be less than apathetic for a change.
In essence this is an admission that the present focus in road safety isn't working (funny that) and at least allows some potential for a new direction. So here is a chance to be heard - I am happy to coordinate responses into a submission for the enquiry and do the background research that is an essential part of these submissions. You don't have to be in Victoria - any measures that are recommended by this enquiry will undoubtedly be reviewed by other State transport authorities so have your say now.

In particular we should focus on the fatality statistics as these will provide the basic raw data for the enquiry - accidents involving pedestrians have already been a focus (thus the 50k suburban limits) and the article indicates that motorcyclists and young drivers in high performance vehicles are also likely to get a guernsey.

Issues to consider:
Of course it makes good headlines to say that the actual number of deaths and injuries is increasing but how does this compare with the number of registered vehicles over the last 20 years? Are we actually seeing a real decline in these figures per 1000 vehicles ?
What about the (still) 40% of accidents that involve excessive alcohol content - are vehicle interlocks the answer ?
What about the increase in pedestrian deaths - how do we seek to minimise these (given that the 50k limits haven't helped)?
What about the increase in fatal accidents in rural areas despite improvements in the road infrastructure in regional Victoria over the last few years (wonder why 95% of the fixed cameras are in urban areas) ?

These and any other relevant issues will need to be addressed in any submission that is going to be heard. Your comments / suggestions and recommendations will make a good starting point.
Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 13:50   #3 (permalink)
The Third Power

You ford guys need to fix the roads
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 17:02   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by strife
You ford guys need to fix the roads
??? am I missing something here strife??
:oo1:
Old 04-05-2002, 17:37   #5 (permalink)
The Third Power

if you own the road

and the road is broken (and in sydney the roads are broken)

then the people who own the road should fix it

and according to tv you guys own the road:dead:

forget that my main point is the roads in nsw are crap,

you drive to North Sydney and the road absolutly stinks
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 17:44   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

oh.. obscure but I get it now !!

When I travel to NSW I honestly think the roads literally get worse when you cross the border... but we don't want to spend money on things like that do we?? Much more important things like an increase in super for the pollies etc etc .. but we have heard it all before I spose
Old 04-05-2002, 18:48   #7 (permalink)

strife that was a sad joke, but you're right when you say the road deterriorates as soon as you cross the border. i love driving on Victorian roads - they are so much better than the shit we call roads over here. drive down the full length of parramatta road (from broadway to parramatta) and you'll see the worst suburban road in the history of mankind!
Old 04-05-2002, 19:44   #8 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Quote:
Originally posted by strife
if you own the road

and the road is broken (and in sydney the roads are broken)

then the people who own the road should fix it

and according to tv you guys own the road:dead:

forget that my main point is the roads in nsw are crap,

you drive to North Sydney and the road absolutly stinks
Good one The roads are indeed shyte. The only exceptions being those motorways that are tolled. Not good enough, Carr Government!!
Old 04-06-2002, 04:36   #9 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Russ.. let us know what you need mate. Now is our chance to be heard.. lets do this properly & lets do it FordForums style.. We have a chance here people, lets not phuck it up..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 12:31   #10 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

You guys think your roads are bad... we have to dodge all the sheep as well!

Seriously, our roads are toatally useless, we had two giant dents in the bonnet of the XR within the first 2 months of driving. Not a good look. We have pretty much no hotmix stuff except on the highways or main roads in the middle of the big centres, like jaffaland.
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub