rules for dating my daughter - part II - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2003, 16:02   #1 (permalink)

rules for dating my daughter - part II

i have started a new thread about the topic, if you have any experiences please post it on this thread.

I went to pick up my date once in my xp, was probably a mistake, i had to scrape getting up the driveway, the car was rumbling and shaking, knocked on the door, welcomed in by the dad, he paid me compliments on my car, then proceded to lecture me whlist in the company of his daughter i shall not speed, perform burnouts, excessive cruising,even got my mobile number, after the movies we must go to a cafe not "parking" and she must be home by 11.30.
After the movies we went to the coffee club, where she told me she wanted leave home and move in with me. Mind you this was our first date, i quickly finished my coffee and took her home, told her her family does love her and took off, in my haste getting away i spun the wheels, 5 minutes later her dad calls abusing me of the burnout in his street.
I never saw her again, nice girl though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2003, 17:57   #2 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

Re: rules for dating my daughter - part II

ugh... so it went well then.
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 18:45   #3 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Always ones to avoid.. Chicks who want to move in after one date & narky dads.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 19:29   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I haven't run into any bad fathers come to think of it. Though I got really drunk infront of one (oops) once, that was a bloody big mistake, I've learnt from that now. Only ever saw him once again, a few months later. He said hi to me, so I spose I wasn't too bad.

Pretty much all of them have been great guys, I could talk to them and got along with great. Haven't met the current missus' father, but give it a few weeks. :S
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 01:09   #5 (permalink)

my wifes parents i actually knew before i met her. they are pretty cool, the old man is into cars, so it helped. mind you it also helps when we live 7 hours away from them.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:14   #6 (permalink)
MkII Cortina Owner

Hey,

Gravelrash - the correct response would have been "goodbye" once the old man starts getting narky. It aint gunna get better, and all he's going to do is whinge on, regardless of what you do.

So raise your hand, say "sorry, but I'm an adult, I deserve more respect than this", or something along those lines. Then leave. Nicely, and politely. Without the girl. The raking the old man is gunna get from his daughter afterward will be nothing short of horrific. And chances are, you'll be getting a phone call from the girl really soon.

You lose nothing, and you dont have to put up with cranky old men. I mean, why on earth should you have to put up with lectures about your "unsafe driving" by someone who's never seen it? The old guy has already decided your bad news, so if this girl becomes more than a date, youre going to have to continually deal with that perception. Cause you'll never change it.

I had this thing happen to me a few years back. I went to pick up a girl in the XY ute. VERY rumbling thing it was. Anyway, I get the same lecture. I politely raise my hand and say "sorry, but those things you accuse me of aren't true. Would you like it if I referred to you as a child molester?" The old guy was flabbergasted, jaw dropped open. I continued "You cannot make those kind of assumptions. I'm sorry (said to the girl), but we're not going on a date tonight. Goodbye, good luck"

I walked down the steps to the sounds of one hell of a fight, and before Id keyed the XY, the girl appeared at the passenger window, tears in eyes saying "dont go." I replied, "Sorry, maybe some other time." And casually left.

We ended up going out for 2.5 years. And the old man treated me with nothing but respect the entire time. Even when Manly beat Saints in the Grand Final (I'm Saints supporter, he was a Manly supporter), he never carried on like a narky old man again.

Oh and before I get "youre an a*seh*le", I treat anyone and everyone with the utmost respect - male/female/black/white/yellow/polkadotted. I am very careful not to injure (physically or mentally) anyone I meet. However, through the Prud's school of hard knocks (tm), I have learnt that unless you show backbone, you get walked on. And in cases such as this, the old man is not being polite, so why pander to him? So stand up for yourself. Show backbone, and a willingness to say "stuff it, your precious daughters not worth it." Its amazing what happens.

Besides, would you want your daughter going out with a doormat? Or someone that can stand up to the world a bit - they usually make better providers...

L8a,
Prud
Old 06-29-2003, 01:26   #7 (permalink)

shit mate it was ten years ago, but yes i like your approach. i guess i was just too flabbergasted, couldnt believe what i was hearing....
Old 06-29-2003, 01:46   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prud
I have learnt that unless you show backbone, you get walked on. And in cases such as this, the old man is not being polite, so why pander to him? So stand up for yourself. Show backbone, and a willingness to say "stuff it, your precious daughters not worth it." Its amazing what happens.
Damn right. Treat everyone with respect til they try do you over, then give it to them and just as you said, where's the harm in having a go at someone who's already having a go at you?
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:43   #9 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

ah i went to see a female friend once (nothing involved, just friends) and her old man went on to tell me (big bikie style guy) that if I broke her heart, he would break my legs... that was nice.

I am really nervous actually, and this thread doesnt help, I gotta meet the gf's old man this w/end (have been going out for 6 months!) he has been working overseas... (young gun borrows AP's new gun for protection)
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub