The rumour mill and a future Falcon 6 cylinder Question??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2003, 06:52   #1 (permalink)

The rumour mill and a future Falcon 6 cylinder Question???

Just been reading the world news section, specifically the thread about the Duratec 35. Just thinking about the next all new Faclon, and the possiblity of left hand drive (ie US production). Will Ford ditch the current inline 6 cylinder and impliment the Duratec 35 in 3.8L or 4.0L form?? If the Falcon is to break out of Australia, it seems to make sense (especially in the current context of Ford being in deep finiancal poo.) in terms of the money (one less engine line and all its associated administration) and commonality of parts etc. . Any rumours??

Also, to the U.S. base members, is the GM F- bodies still in production? I thought it was kill off several years ago. I lurk on several forums and by the way some people talk, I get the impression that they are still in production.
Blu_2_da_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2003, 17:08   #2 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Re: The rumour mill and a future Falcon 6 cylinder Question???

Falcon + V6 = I might as well buy a bloody Commodore!

The current I6 has class leading technology and is assembled in Australia. I don't see the merit of dropping that and going for an import engine, even if it theoretically makes sense in the big picture to have one less engine in the Ford family.

For a good sized rear drive sedan the V6 has no advantages over an I6, they come into their own when packaging is critical, ie. smaller cars, FWD and so on.

A Ford insider has told me there have been rumours the I6 would be dropped for a V6 floating around since the 60's. He didn't think there was anything to be concerned about as long as the I6 was competitive, which it still clearly is.
Old 07-23-2003, 17:17   #3 (permalink)
FPV Tasmania Member

well the I6 engine is not a bad donk,come a long way, but it is basically a variation of a 30 or 40 year old motor. Its main drawback is fuel efficency, its still a fairly thirsty motor, in todays standards
Old 07-23-2003, 17:45   #4 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

It doesn't have to be.

Ford tune them very rich, ask any electronic tuner!

Would it be better to have them made of aluminium and run lean with low piston ring tensions to reduce friction - all in the name of fuel economy, even if they now burn an unreasonable amount of oil.

Yes, that is a shot at the LS1 & Ecotec V6's
Old 07-23-2003, 17:52   #5 (permalink)
FPV Tasmania Member

That is so true, there are always compromises in engine build technology. And i agree, a higher fuel consumption is better than high oil useage and engine wear
Old 07-23-2003, 18:02   #6 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
but it is basically a variation of a 30 or 40 year old motor.

By that logic your winsor and even the new Boss motors are basically a variation on a 80year old motor design.
The I6 is as if not more technicaly advanced then any other 6cyl motor on the planet.
Do people think a motor is ancient if it's still cast in Iron?????
Old 07-23-2003, 18:07   #7 (permalink)
FPV Tasmania Member

Well, correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the basic block going back to the old 200ci / 250 ci block, and no, I dont think there is anything wrong with that, or it being a cast iron block. I am a firm believer, if it aint broke, why fix it.
I personally think the Ford engineers have done a marvelous job with the developments they have done on the motor
Old 07-23-2003, 18:59   #8 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

I think to remain competitive they will need to redo the bottom of the engine. Dont forget it is still an iron block and very heavy and baulky- apart from that it rocks. This is the part that has not changed in yonks.

I would love to see aluminium as a way of reducing the future weight of falcons. Less weight over the front cross member could only be good news for XR6T! Of course that equals big $$$
TurboDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 19:51   #9 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

I've mentioned this before and i'll mention it now, with the Ford Inline 6 it's a case of "IF it ain't broke don't fix it" and the BA with the introduction of DOHC and Turbo technology proves that just because an engine is been around since the 1960's it doesn't mean it has to be a bad design.

Remember the Falcon is a large car and can accomodate an Inline 6 without sacrificing interior space or bonnet space unlike the smaller cars.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 19:56   #10 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

XR_Strider_GuY

Also dont forget that with the head they had to increase the bonnet height to accomodate the much taller engine.

All this equals more frontal surface area, which increase drag, which increases fuel consumption etc etc
TurboDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub