Running in your New Car - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2002, 16:26   #1 (permalink)
gone

Running in your New Car

With the BA being released, and amount of new car purchases, what is the right way to run in your car?

I know with the XR, I ended up taking it to DECA and giving her hell, the engine didnt skip a beat!

Whats your prooven method, or correct one?
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2002, 16:59   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

Right or wrong I still use the meathod that my Dad taught me.

Let the engine warm up for a couple of minutes, don't rev too high, and don't drive at a constant speed for too long. These rules are for the first 2000kms.
Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 17:09   #3 (permalink)
BOF

I used to think that worked but after driving idential cars, one that had had the guts flogged out of it from day 1 and the other thats had probably never seen over 2000rpm in it life I changed my mind.

And to back that up, nothing goes harder than a renter.

I remember hearing of a guy who had his BMW stolen and recovered a few days later with no damage stuffed tyres from a few days of being canned, he couldnt beleive how much more grunt it had after than day, he was a very pleased man.
VC Valiant 245Hemi, 280zx Nissan 5 speed, 88 EA 3.9CFI,94 ED Gli X Chaser, 79 FC LTD, 351, FMX, 91 EA2 Fairmont Ghia, 1999 AU S pack, 2000 AU Forte, 1992 EB2 XR8, 2001 AU2 SR, 2002 VX2 Acclaim, 2002 VX2 Manual S pack,2003 BA XR6 manual, 2001 VX2 Berlina.
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 17:15   #4 (permalink)

Yeah as my dad says, the engines are allready been run in before they are even put into the car. One thing we didnt do with our new BA was use the Sequential Sports shift until it had done 1000 kms.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 17:38   #5 (permalink)

They are only tested at the factory, not run-in...
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 18:10   #6 (permalink)
300ZX Z32 Jspec

You've got to run a car in, if you don't, you run a higher chance of something letting go in the engine and doing some major damage. It's just a higher chance...not a definite.

As Martin says, the engines are run at the factory long enough to check functionality and stability, they are certainly not run in as XR6 man's dad preaches.

BOF, cars that never see over 2000 rpm will eventually run like dogs breakfasts - carbon builds up around the valves and the engine becomes less efficient, reducing power. Carbon can often be removed by an extended run through the country at decent revs, but sometimes an engine is just too far gone.

So yes, an engine that is revved out often will perform substantially better than a underused grandma - type driving engine. But when you're running it in, for 2000k's at least, drive like a grandma or you risk damaging the thing.
massivechicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 18:16   #7 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

I had my car ripping around Queensland Raceway the week after I picked it up. I just made sure I didn't over-rev it and took it easy on the brakes.... for a lap or 2. :s4

Touch wood, it's been going strong from then on.

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 18:40   #8 (permalink)

bofs right in the fact the harder time you give a motor the better they go but not for longevity. could be useing oil by 140000kms

ive found best is to not over rev but dont nurse and vary revs and dont bog the motor down.
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 19:32   #9 (permalink)
Spoolin' GT40

I think i posted this somewhere before.

When studding my engineering degree I was able to build two engines and run them in using two methods.

1)Keep the revs below a certain rev range before a specified period, either km or time.
2) Run it in using different rev ranges during warm km.

After 1000km I pulled them apart and measured the wear. This also included lubricant analysis of engine oil and water. It showed the bedding down process and which metals were worn away and so on...

My conclusion was; it was better to vary the rpm over a 1000km time frame during warm km.

Now i did this for my car and after the 3000km mark i sent the oil away for an analysis. I should have the results back in the new year. I'll post the report up here and explain it.

esky
esky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 19:59   #10 (permalink)
Frantic Ford Fanatic

During my apprentership as a mechanic I was told after rebuilding a motor you should run it in by revving it between 1/4 to 3/4 of its minimum to maximum rpm at at least 1/4 to 3/4 throttle opening for its first 500km to bed in the rings properly. Nothing is worse than idling along babying a car when new. I broke my new AU in by driving it through the hills so as to get some load in to it and it runs beautifully

Old car = AU Futura, Galaxy blue, IRS, 16" mags, DBA Slotted rotors. Pity to see it go, very good, under- rated car, RIP
ricthewheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub

« #eseries | jono »