Safe Falcons! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2001, 19:53   #1 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Safe Falcons!

Have a squizz at this...

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...5E1702,00.html

Quote:
It found that the Falcon did best of the Australian cars in the latest tests, almost earning a four-star rating followed by the Camry, the Avalon, the Magna and the Commodore.
In comparison, the Saab, Merc and Volvo got 4, a Renault Laguna for 5.

Poor commode drivers, those extra costs to fix damage compared with Falcons must hurt their insurance premiums a little.

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2001, 20:04   #2 (permalink)

Thumbs down

Interesting how they compare the crash rating of Aussie built $30k vehicles to $60-80k European vehicles:rolleyes:
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 20:12   #3 (permalink)

Good to see more positive Ford news. I would however like to see a report in to how much safer say an XR is over a Forte. For those who haven't driven one the dynamics are like chalk and cheese. Sure once in a crash situation the reasult would be the same but I would like my chances of avoiding one through better handling properties in my XR when confronted with the same set of circumstances in a Forte
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 20:43   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Could'nt agreee more HSE2 aswell as better brakes but try telling this to insurance companies.:mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3:
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 20:53   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DR XR
Could'nt agreee more HSE2 aswell as better brakes but try telling this to insurance companies.:mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3:
And that is a very good point! They are only seeing half the story. Actually I though Ford were going to get their own insurance thing going. I know FTR cars carry some sort of signage above the front screen! (hard to tell as they don't come to my state anymore and the zoom on the TV doesn't work as well as it should after last Bathurst)
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

Holden must be guttered since they put all that effort into designing a head friendly B-pillar, only to find out that the Falcon had less side intrusion and a better score in that area (if I'm correct).
I knew that Ford had increased the sructual strength when they released the AU2 therefore giving it a higher rating in these latest tests, though I wouldn't want that brake pedal implanted in my leg, it ended up only 10cm away from the drivers seat - about time Ford introduced those self releasing pedals.

If the Falcon was fitted with side airbags it would probably get a four star rating.

The comparison between $30k and $80k vehicles is that they're big in size. Personally safety features shouldn't be minimized on lower cost models like equipment such as aircon etc...
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 03:13   #7 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2
I would however like to see a report in to how much safer say an XR is over a Forte. For those who haven't driven one the dynamics are like chalk and cheese. Sure once in a crash situation the reasult would be the same but I would like my chances of avoiding one through better handling properties in my XR when confronted with the same set of circumstances in a Forte
Which brings me to a major issue I have with Wheels Magazine at the moment. They banned some cars from COTY due to an abscence of lap-sash belts in the centre rear. However, cars that don't even have active safety features available as options (such as ABS) continue to qualify. Isn't it better to avoid the accident than survive it? I don't get it.

Oh, and Ford are a MAJOR culprit. Most models don't have ABS available and more and more are reverting to drum brakes. I will never buy another car without ABS. The reason why if it's sub Falcon size cars I'd be shopping Holden (forgive my sins please....)

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 03:57   #8 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

roll

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
if it's sub Falcon size cars I'd be shopping Holden (forgive my sins please....)
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 04:31   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by J-type
I knew that Ford had increased the sructual strength when they released the AU2 therefore giving it a higher rating in these latest tests,
mmm...The fact that Falcons are getting safer by the year gives me an avenue with the missus of persuing an upgrade from a lowly AU1 to an AV.
But baby, just think of the kids safety.:gok:
Rastus.
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 04:37   #10 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by Rastus
But baby, just think of the kids safety
My reason is I don't have a car and I want an XR8!!... A blokes gotta get around you know.. :D
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub