Satellite internet - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2003, 03:53   #1 (permalink)
Mr Photoshop

Satellite internet

Since Telstra are doing a fantastic job making sure everyone has access to cable/ADSL i'm forced to go to satellite broadband to get away from the pathetic dial up.

I have a few Q's.
Is satellite as fast as ADSL?
Is it connected all the time like cable/adsl?
What companies are reccomended that provide this service and are there good priced packages with decent download limits (4ig++)?

Thanks.

Oh and i live in a fairly new suburb not the country. Thanks again telstra
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2003, 04:19   #2 (permalink)
{';'}

CSV_LS1, dunno if it's still the same, but from my past experiences...

Satellite needs to dial-up all the time (yes, you need a modem). It can only download at high speed - not upload (however, this may have changed recently).

The speed varies, it actually depends on the weather - well whether it is overcast or not. When it's overcast the satellite connection isn't as strong and hence the Internet connection is slower (and vice-versa). But of course, you can get the different "prescribed" speed(s) (64k, 256k etc).

For the money it's a total jack-off, but if you need broadband that much (which you obviously do) there isn't too much that can be done in your position.

I hope this helps. But as for how accurate the information is now, I am unsure. Maybe someone else can clarify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:29   #3 (permalink)
Green's Tuff!

Re: Satellite internet

You can get 2 way satelitte internet but be prepared to spend megabucks on setup fees and access charges.
I looked at getting Telstra satelitte but was put off by the 500mb download limit...what a joke, give you a nice fast connection that can only be used to its full potential for a day before you start paying extra download fees.

Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:30   #4 (permalink)
{';'}

I just popped over to bigpond.com.au and looked at their broadband satellite information.

They actually offer two types of plans - one where it's "one-way"; just downloading... And the other where it's "two-way"; downloading and uploading.

Quote:
Choose from 1 Way Satellite (download only) or 2 Way Satellite (download and upload)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:35   #5 (permalink)
Ride like the Wind

good for sattelite:
when you buy the equipment it is yours, whereas some adsl and cable providers take modems back when you have finished.
you can get it anywhere in australia while adsl and cable have limits
similar speeds to adsl for download, and upload if two way satt

bad for sattelite:
costs lots to setup
bad pings
cost lots for two way otherwise get one way but still use dial up as upload
only telstra do two way satt
if go with telstra uploads will be charged.
only comes in two speeds 64kbit and 400kbit, 64 is not much better than dial up and 400 is aboutm as good as standard adsl

Basically sattelite is a download accelerator if you go one way in that it only affects downloads. but two way is proper broadband.

Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:48   #6 (permalink)

Ive really had it with download limits. Ive been on optus cable Unlimited for about 3 and 1/2 years! Every year in august they have tried to give us limits and this year is no different! 3 gig pah, thats 2 days use!
My advice dont go for anything unless its unlimited, otherwise dialup is the best option!
PHoeNiX_EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:56   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I used to have Sattelite Internet when I was In NZ with a company called Ihug. I beleive they are in AUS as well. At the start they has a 400kb (?) plan wth unlimited downloads and unlimited time for 59.95 per month. Then they got wise after some really huge downloads. I downloaded 72gb one month but it was small compared to what some people were doing. I found it extremly reliable and only a thunderstorm would intterupt it. When the time comes that it becomes competative with the 60 a month I spend on dialup per month then ill consider it
Old 06-24-2003, 06:52   #8 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

For 60 a month you could get ADSL! Look around and you'll probably find one with a decent cap too
Old 06-24-2003, 06:54   #9 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Not way the **** out here! :s6:
Old 06-25-2003, 05:19   #10 (permalink)
Mr Photoshop

I just recieved an email from IINet saying that i might be in with the chance to get ADSL with the fixes to the Rim in some places. have to wait a week for a response. I think i'm gonna go postal if i dont get it now.

Can anyone reccomend an ADSL plan for around $120 that offers 5+gigs per month and is reliable? I have heard aboud advark's 65 gig and unlimited downloads, does anyone have any info on that iff its just a short term thing and it will be capped?
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub