Sell ELXR6, buy BAXT UTE ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2003, 01:26   #1 (permalink)
EL XR6 - w00t

eek Sell ELXR6, buy BAXT UTE ?

Hello everyone,

I'm throwing an idea around in my head that I might sell my ageing xr6 and buy this years model BA XT ute second hand. What do they drive like? They have a better power to weight ratio than my car, and they have a new car warranty!!

How much has people seen a 97 EL XR6 (5 spd manual, extractors/exhaust) go for? And how much do second hand BA XT Utes go for?

What do you guys think? Should i keep fixing my (hot sounding and fast) baby or get something sexy and new!

Chow!
dcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2003, 03:36   #2 (permalink)
BSR

Re: Sell ELXR6, buy BAXT UTE ?

How about heading to your local Dealer and take one for a test drive??? Should help you decide......

12/03 FPV GT 725
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 05:03   #3 (permalink)

Re: Re: Sell ELXR6, buy BAXT UTE ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTS220
As for a BA XL ute being sexy, mate go look at one, they come with 16 inch steelies, a rubber floor, and in some cases a column shift. Id rather drive what you already have.
Thats what I was thinking. Not that they are a bad car but coming from a XR6 I think you will be disapointed. Id be spending a bit extra and getting the XLS or a NA XR6. Worth the extra money I think mate.
Tim_EF_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 06:47   #4 (permalink)
RACE

Take an XL ute for a drive and that should make up your mind.
Old 09-21-2003, 17:17   #5 (permalink)
EL XR6 - w00t

Yeah, I was actually thinking of a XLS sorry. I need mags and air-con :)

I'll start looking around the auctions (XLS will be harder to find than XL) and go take one for a test drive at a dealer.

I'm sad that i might have to sell the XR, but I can't afford maitenance :(
Old 09-21-2003, 20:55   #6 (permalink)
XD V8 Owner

Once an XR driver always an XR driver I reakon. There is no way Id upgrade now to a new model unless I could afford the next generation XR.

The increased costs of fixing up your current ride (unless your talking thousands) will be offset by the decreasing prices of the new models, the resale value of your EL shouldnt be droping as quick as the BA.

Id wait till you could afford another XR unless you are dead sure you could settle for something less than an XR.

Pics here: http://www.fordgallery.com/showgalle...00/ppuser/7796

Ford Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 21:36   #7 (permalink)
EL XR6 - w00t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Grunt
Once an XR driver always an XR driver I reakon. There is no way Id upgrade now to a new model unless I could afford the next generation XR.

The increased costs of fixing up your current ride (unless your talking thousands) will be offset by the decreasing prices of the new models, the resale value of your EL shouldnt be droping as quick as the BA.

Id wait till you could afford another XR unless you are dead sure you could settle for something less than an XR.
Yeah, thats the problem. The other problem is I want to go overseas mid next year, so I can't really have a car that depreciates dramatically (loan to pay off!).

Basically I'm looking at:

$400 for clutch
$350 for new discs
$130 for a dash repair (idiot who owned it before me!)
$??? Rear main seal is leaking

And the diff is locked (not sure how bad this is?) and its likely to be well over one grand if it breaks.

I hate cars sometimes :) :)
Old 09-21-2003, 23:11   #8 (permalink)
400 kg ego

The money you'd lose in depreciation on a new car would be far more than the cost of maintaining an older car. Perhaps a better compromise might be a late model AU XR6 ute or something like that?

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 01:02   #9 (permalink)
XD V8 Owner

Re: Re: Sell ELXR6, buy BAXT UTE ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcliff1
Yeah, thats the problem. The other problem is I want to go overseas mid next year, so I can't really have a car that depreciates dramatically (loan to pay off!).

Basically I'm looking at:

$400 for clutch
$350 for new discs
$130 for a dash repair (idiot who owned it before me!)
$??? Rear main seal is leaking

And the diff is locked (not sure how bad this is?) and its likely to be well over one grand if it breaks.

I hate cars sometimes :) :)
With this further information in mind, getting your ELXR6 fixed seems even more logical, as its in the new vehicles early years that they seriously lose their value and considering you wont be around for part of the year next year to enjoy the use of it.

Based on your above estimates, approximately $1000 will be nothing compared to what you will lose on the BA XLS ute once you drive out of the car yard. Add to this if the car yard pick up on the above needed repairs they will likely reduced your trade in allowance on your EL.

On the repairs note, getting all the repairs do at once might save you some money.

For example it would be cheaper to repair the rear main seal leak when you get the cluch replaced as the gearbox is already out. Most of the cost of replacing your rear main seal in the labour to remove the gearbox from the engine and puting it back together, the cost of the seal is bugga all.

The diff may only need the oil changed.

Cheers Mate.

Pics here: http://www.fordgallery.com/showgalle...00/ppuser/7796

Ford Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub