Should P's Drivers have restrictions? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 02:03   #1 (permalink)

Should P's Drivers have restrictions?

Today (in the ACT anyway) a big debate has started on P Plate Drivers.

Should they be limited in the amount of power the vehicle they drive has?

(This started because of an accident of a see link http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/index.jsp)

My opinion the driver was 20 years old and could have been driving for 3 years so experience is not the issue, common sense is. I'm not on my P's but I think it’s not fair to restrict everyone because of a few idiots. Yes it could save lives but where would you draw the line? Looking at what they did with motorbikes I know that it still doesn't stop the idiots who are still speeding\reckless driving, and they still break the law and ride bikes they shouldn't. My theory is if you can't handle the power don't drive\ride it. Make the test harder, find some way to regulate the idiots, don't prejudice against age.

Whats your thoughts???
anthonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2004, 02:29   #2 (permalink)
White Lightning

Re: Should P's Drivers have restrictions?

even thought it doesnt matter what car they drive i dont think they should be in v8s and the like. im still on Ps and for my 1st year i drove like crap. i shudder to think what could have happened if i had an XR8 or something.

the thing is, no matter what you do, they (we) will always overstep our bounds and try to drive like on TV. its in out nature.
Lukey Extractors, Mandrel Bent 2.5" Exhaust w/ High Flow Cat & 2 Hotdogs, Kings Springs Super Lows, KYB Short Throw Shocks, DBA Slotted Rotors [F], RDA Standard Rotors [R], Bendix Advance Pads, K&N Panel Filter
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:34   #3 (permalink)
Origi-Bulge (tm)

I dont see the problem with having passengers, your going to have them when your off your P's. Sure older, resposible people, and ive heard it from people on the forums, look back on their youth and say "boy i did some stupid things" but did it stop as soon as you got off your P's?

I think power restrictions are a good thing, but its not exactly hard to have a car that is on, or just under the limit and then modify it so its over the limit and still look like its unmodified... people will find ways around it so i dont see it as being a viable soloution.

How much power you have doesnt dictate how stupid your going to be behind the wheel, hell ive been airborne in my xy wagon, and in a corolla, and in an au falcon wagon! NONE of these vehicles would be considered high powered, but you can still get in to trouble in them, the difference with my experiences were that it was in a controlled environment, at an autocross track. Having said that ive also done stupid things in a corolla in uncontrolled situations, and i'll admit that i tended to give it more of a hard time than i did a XR8 ute that i drove...

its all about driver attitude, not the drivers car.

Cows would live a lot longer if they weren't made out of steak and leather
Klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:39   #4 (permalink)
www.lukehimself.com

i think there should be a limit on power but then again i dont see why all P-platers should suffer because of others
Old 11-24-2004, 02:48   #5 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

first up i think there should be restrictions just as there are now. if, in your 3 years of Ps you get a driving offense (dangerous driving or whatever) you get even more power restrictions put on you and passenger restrictions as well for the rest of your Ps. basically this would mean that in a lot of cases you would not be allowed to drive YOUR car because of the further restrictions imposed on it. STIFF SHIT. thats your problem. sell it and buy a hyundai or start walking. its that simple.
secondly as part of the cost of obtaining your Ps or even the rego of your car whilst on your Ps, you would be paying for a speed limiting device to be fitted to your car so you cant go stupid speeds like 160km. this has to be professionally fitted (which is part of the cost of rego or license) and the car will not be able to pass a RWC without one. massive fines, vehicle impounding and possible imprisonment for any driver that is found not to comply.
once your off your Ps the limiter is removed. possibly a percentage refund of the original price of the unit when Ps have been completed without fault.

dont expect this thread to last either, coz it wont.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:00   #6 (permalink)
true blue thru & thru

i think there should be power restrictions for say the first 1 or maybe 2 years of your P's, that way, when they are young and stupid, which is generally only when you first get the freedom that comes with getting your P's you are restricted.
i think most of my freinds soon got over the "wow, i can go flog my car" factor pretty soon.
Why do we have red & green P's anyway??

i only suggest this idea because the government etc doesnt seem to focused on improving driver training & education, which is the PROBLEM TO BEGIN WITH!!
Old 11-24-2004, 03:02   #7 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

The restrictions now are fine IMO.
I came off my P's yesterday. Too much power and someone who isnt sensible or doesnt have enough experience to control can be a bad thing.
I owned a 351 XF for a while and it went pretty hard. I never had an issue and thought I was pretty sensible and safe.

Then only last weekend I nearly ended up in the trees after heathcote because I tried to do a small burnout while leaving. It came on boost hard and I pretty much lost control and it took a bit to get the car to stay still.

Point is it only takes a fraction of a second and you can be in a big mess.

If my EB was stock that would no way would have got as sideways as it did and in such a hurry. It would have been way easier to control.

If you do something silly like that a car with a lot of power it is much harder to control and therefore more dangerous.

That wont be a mistake that I will make again though.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:04   #8 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pete
Why do we have red & green P's anyway??
ah....WE dont though in this state.
maybe for drivers with driving offenses they should have to display a different coloured P altogether so the general public and the police can assess that this was someone that was dangerous and should be watched.
call it embarrasing punishiment.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:07   #9 (permalink)
AU Fairmont Ghia V8

it's pointless they are not enforced in Vic why would it work anywhere else?
Old 11-24-2004, 03:52   #10 (permalink)

davway uhm why should I expect this thread to last?

If you have speed restrictions on P's why not on everyone then, that will make it fair (although I won't like it). I don't think I ever went past 140Km/h on my P's and that was probably overtaking on the highway (had a crapy old laser). I still think its an attitude thing. I have a bike that will do 270Km/h but I will never get close to that not on the road anyway. But I went riding with a friend who is in his 30's and he was happy to pass me at over 200km/h while I stayed well below this near the speed limit. Common sense should tell you if you can't see over a crest or round a corner you should slow down to the distance you can see! On the road conditions can change instantly, ie. ice, oil, a child running out, a car on the wrong side of the rode etc...
anthonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub