Should under 30 year olds be restricted to non performance cars? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Should under 30 year olds be restricted to non performance cars?
Yes - young people are too dangerous in performance cars. 22 21.78%
No - There are idiots in all age groups and we shouldn't descriminate based on age. 79 78.22%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2002, 00:04   #1 (permalink)

Should under 30 year olds be restricted to non performance cars?

So not to pollute Plonky's thread any further I thought i'd just start another thread(with poll) So what do the majority of you out there really think?
Contempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2002, 00:10   #2 (permalink)
plonky

I personally don't agree that Hi-po cars should be restricted to non performance cars.
Old 10-30-2002, 00:13   #3 (permalink)
Ford Parts Interpretor

I think that on L's and P's you should not be allowed to drive a V8 or Turbo of any capacity. (much the same as motorbike riders and over 250cc)

I am not being a kill joy, but young drivers have so much to learn about roadcraft. Its for their own protection as well as my own!
Old 10-30-2002, 00:19   #4 (permalink)

P platers maybe, but to be 29 and not allowed to drive a "high performance" car, that's just silly.
I just turned 30, and in my driving years I would have gone crazy if I couldn't drive the car I wanted.
No GT, ESP, 351's...damn, I would have had a dull, frustrating 12 years.
Old 10-30-2002, 00:21   #5 (permalink)
plonky

O personally don't agree with access to hi-po cars being restricted to younger drivers.

In saying that, my first car was a Datsun 1600 Rally car. This was at 16 9mth. About 3 mths later I bought an E55 Charger (340 Wedge with 727).

Statistics are being used by Insurance companies, road safety bodies to determine the risk and expense of claims and injury accidents.

The younger age group is over represented due to a number of things, but one of the most prominent is peer group pressure. It generally doesn't matter how responsible a person is, younger people succumb to peer pressure easier and this is where ambition gets confused with ability and kids die.

I have heard all the arguments about driver training, attitude etc but the facts can't be changed: Young males in cars are dangerous to themsleves and others. It is only through constant pressure from HWP and families are they likely to change. This usually happens after they are that broke they need to sell the car or have had an accident big enough to scare them.

Contempt, no person here is singling you out because you are young or you have an XR8. In fact I admire your demonstrated responsibility and applaud your desire to be seen as an equal to older posters (which I'm sure you are)

Have a look though at some of the threads that are run. Maybe true, maybe trying for acceptance, but there are a number of posters that start threads about stupid things such as the burnouts they had done and the like. I don't have a problem with that but it is generally done where people complain.

To their credit though, they do realise their stupidity (why do something dumb just to impress someone else) and make valuable contributions to the forum.

It is unfair (insurance etc) but true!
Old 10-30-2002, 00:29   #6 (permalink)
mmm, non - dentable doors

well i bought an xw 351 5.8 litre wrx muncher and learnt my L's and P's on that. i think it depends on the driver. i think i would have died if i didnt get to drive it. speed and power do kill, but i dont think it makes a difference if you drive a high powered vehicle or a slow pos, because they all can speed and loose control. um, yeah. so if your a looser and cant drive, its your fault, not saying that im the best driver there is, ok ill just shuddup now.

danny

HEAR THE V8
SEE THE V8
KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE V8
dannys_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 00:43   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by plonky
I personally don't agree that Hi-po cars should be restricted to non performance cars.
Not quite sure what you are trying to say here???

Edit: i'm illiterate so sue me:(
Old 10-30-2002, 00:46   #8 (permalink)
plonky

I stuffed up. I meant to go to a new line but I hit enter and it sent the unedited post.
Sorry.
Old 10-30-2002, 00:46   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

6 kids were killed in a 4wd ute .. it's not the performance of the car.. its the performance of the driver...
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 00:49   #10 (permalink)

Just to cut-n-paste a question from the other thread:

For all those that are for banning hi-po cars for those under 30....

If in the next 5 years it turned out that males of the ages of 30-50 were the group that had the most accidents would you be one of the advocates for banning ALL males drivers in this age group(which most of the users of this forum fall in) from driving any form of performance car based on statistics alone?

If you answer no then I put it to you that you are an utter hypocrite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub