Skaife's SS ad - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2003, 03:40   #1 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Skaife's SS ad

Has everyone seen the new SS ad with Skaife & the kid (his son?) in the green SS?

Yet again Holden get the marketing right. Notice that there's no mention of any technical specs of the car, or even a shot of the car driving, but it works. They sell the image.

Now imagine the same ad with the kid sitting in a new GT recounting victories of the past & putting himself in the place of Moffat etc.

People like us love to know all the specs of the cars, but it takes the image to capture the general public's imagination in the first place.

My idea of the perfect GT ad would be something simple. Shots of the GTs of the past, spliced in between footage of the GTs at Bathurst. Fade to black, then 2 words on the screen "It's Back"

Sorry for the rant, but I really hate when Holden's marketing use phrases like "Australia's favourite car" & Ford has no comeback.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2003, 03:46   #2 (permalink)

I see that, sad sad sad.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 03:52   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

I actually saw the add about 5 o clock sunday mornin when I just got home pissed. Havnt seen the add since. can hardly remember it but I couldnt even remember whether I really saw it or dreamt it up.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 04:33   #4 (permalink)
falconS

from a marketers point of view, i thought it was a great ad. but i have to admit, i was pissed when they said at the end, 'australia's favourite car'.

i was just thinking, yeah, yeah, use it while you can hamburglar, 'cause it wont last much longer.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:59   #5 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Hey Skaifey, has it got Leaf Springs??

:s3 :s5 :s6:

Hehe, had to do it!
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 05:47   #6 (permalink)

Sore this ad last night and I think it sums up the commodore 100%, BUY COMMODORE COS ITS POPULAR. They can't mention any real specs to out do the Falcon so they tell people to buy it because every one loves commodores.
XAXEXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 06:10   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

You've gotta look at the people who buy these cars. As much as they want them, most 19 year olds can't afford a brand new HSV. It'll be the older (late 30s+), mainly men, who have an established career and family. Most don't want something that goes fast, if they did the'd be looking into it much more than just buying whatever has the better ad. they want something to get to and from the office and take out with the family on the weekend. I'll call them Borderline yuppies.

They want something with style. Holden aren't selling the car itself to these people, the're selling the image. These guys don't need a car that does low 12 quarters to get to the office, he wants something that turns head based on looks.

Who wants performance cars? Us petrol heads. We're pretty much set in what we'd want, there wouldn't be as many fence sitters as there are in the style department. So Ford and Holden don't really market towards us. I've never seen an ad for a T series nor a GT and I can recall any for the top of the line HSVs.

I think Ford has seen where/who Holden is selling to and have picked up in a different area. The're going for the lower income earner who needs the stock standard sedan to cart the kids off to school before going to work. They don't need as much style, they certainly don't need performance, they want whatever does the job, cheaper.

Maybe I'm wrong (I don't really watch that much tv), but I see ads for upmarket Holdens and lower range Fords. Heck I didn't even know what a T series was until I came here. Yet we all knows about the HSV. Holden is selling these to these 'borderline yuppies'.

Ford isn't selling their performance cars to this group, the're leaving them to be snapped up by the hardcore performance people. I'm sure sales will pick up with the BA Falcon and come the BB, BC, whatever, they will focus marketing more towards the borderline yuppies and not the day to day family guy.

Ford is recovering from a slump with the AU, lets give them a year and see where they are. Hopefully some good V8 supercar results will change things.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:35   #8 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Holden Sell cars because they have good marketing and medium product.
Simple as that.
Ford have a great product (and IMHO had a great product with the AU) but don't market it.
They never pronounce the achivments the car gets.
Untill they learn to harness the true power or advertising they will forever be behind Holden.
I love seeing morons carry on about the v8 super cars though.
They always look confused when you tell them it's not even a commodore and the one time the new HSVs raced a car with 50kw less and a blue oval badge they got hammered (24 hour Bathurst)
Old 02-17-2003, 13:27   #9 (permalink)

Well, now that FPV is in charge of marketing FPV product, instead of Ford, I would hope to see a change in this.

I thought the XR6 adds were great, but havnt seen one for an XR8?

And your dead right. We are in the minority end of the market. Ford and Holden pay the bills by selling the bog stock product in its masses, to the masses.

I'm not sure if Tickford ever turned a dollar, but if they did I would imagine it to be fairly minimal.

At least now FPV can market into both segments. I often forget just how die hard, unwavering and passionate I am about the Ford product, until you discover your mate dosnt even know there is a new GT being built, let alone a wild XR range.

What they do know however is Falcons and Commodores. Let hope that "Australias most popular car" title resides on a Ford ad shortly

Cheers
XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 13:37   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XAXEXF
They can't mention any real specs to out do the Falcon so they tell people to buy it because every one loves commodores.
What about weight ?
Fireman Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub