Skyline R31 verse AU II Fairlane Ghia - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2001, 01:29   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Skyline R31 verse AU II Fairlane Ghia

Skyline won in all instances. 5 speed 89 Silhouette (3.7 LSD).
4.0 VCT 4 speed

Why is this interesting?

Skyline has 12.19Kg/kw
Fairlane has 9.98Kg/kw

Doesn't matter, up, down, rolling or standing starts, swap drivers, high or low speed, its slower.. I was generally unimpressed with the 4.0 VCT in its engine bay. It seems lesser unit than that was in the old EL fairmont ghia.. Surely a 100kg of weight doesn't totally kill the mighty 4.0?

The question is can the skyline beat a VCT XR6(or HP)? Concidering it was pretty easy to quickly put on distance between the Fairlane I would say yes if it was a auto. It has a power to weight of 9.01:1 kg/kw. XR6 HP has a 9.64:1 Kg/kw.

Personally I think the VCT is over rated, it does seem abit happy to rev top end than the older unit. I think both units make around 160kw.

I just hope those DOHC and 24 valve heads work wonders. I would really concider a AV 4.0 with a 5 speed, LSD, IRS if it had a power to weight ratio of around 8:1, a nice low final drive (3.7) and all the other AV goodies.

Interestingly we had problems fitting a 19" boxed monitor into the fairlane! I was quite supprised. The Interior is growing on me a bit but it still seems small.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2001, 02:39   #2 (permalink)
gone

Im confussed?

Why compare the 2???

Compare 4l over the Ford range., but why with a Skyline??

Lets here some positives about the difference or otherwise youve lost my interest
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 02:57   #3 (permalink)

ay?!

skyline versus fairmont ghia?

and the point in comparing the two cars was?

come on, lets compare apples to apples. tell me, what do the skyline and the fairmont have in common apart from the obvious that they have 4 wheels, six cylinder engines, etc? the skyline is used for racing - the fairmont is used to lug families around.
Old 11-24-2001, 02:58   #4 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

fairlane against skyline?why man? dnt tell me it was a gtr!
u suppose to relax and straighten ur legs in a fairlane,i've driven the vct fairlane,it's fast,but a forte is faster!

however, i've seen the skyline behind the xr8 when dragging of the lights,i'd leave the T3 to takecare of the 206kws out there:)
ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 03:06   #5 (permalink)
Chromed Member

wtf

Iphido, you wouldnt just happen to own a 89 skyline shilloette (3.7 LSD) 5 speed, would you????:oo1: :oo1: :oo1: :oo1:
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 03:44   #6 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

If you look at the power increase from the VCT engine it is minor, so that would suggest to me that the VCT engine was not introduced for all out power, but to try and improve the smoothness and economy of the 4.0L mill.

As for the overall comparison, I put it down to nothing more than trolling, why would you compare 2 totally different cars from different eras *shrugs*
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 03:55   #7 (permalink)

oh fairlane?!
i don't know why i read fairmont...

well in that case it's even worse! it's a bloody luxo barge!
Old 11-24-2001, 04:03   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Me own a skyline? HA! Thats quite crazy, if I owned a skyline and some how had access to a Au Fairlane why on earth would I want to compare the two..... That would be unnatural, it would be simular if you had a orange and you had a apple, and we sat next to each other admiring our own personal fruit perhaps even glancing to what the other had, of course a comparison would be shouted down with " its comparing apples to oranges!" but still a comparison none the less.

Yes I do own a 89 skyline. Very interesting car. I would expect its performance to be pretty average these days.

No one finds it interesting that in ~15 years car dynamics haven't changed much at all? I do. Oh things have definately changed, styling, the AU falcon is the biggest styling flop scince the 80's nissan skyline... Hey a connection. Both made in Australia! Both RWD, inline 6's, four doors, 4 wheel discs, feature simular level of trip computer(no development in ~15 years!), dash instruments, etc.

I suppose I could say that the Au II i6 fairlane is about as fast as a VT II era V6 Statesman (seems to have less bottom rev and more up top than statesman). That the fairlane seems better planted than a statesman. But what would be the point.

Still the fact remains, either my skyline is enormously powerful, making something like 150Kw or is much lighter than offical statistics suggest, or the VCT engine is somewhat optomistic or the Fairlane is much heavier than ~1650 kg or something else.

I honestly expected the Fairlane to win on from the paper statistics. I expected the VCT engine to blow away the 3.8 in the statesman, man it isn't even supercharged.. I expected a car with 12kg per kw from the 80's to be left behind somewhat quickly.

Options for Ford:
~160 kw VCT engine
~170 kw V8

Options for Holden
~150 Kw V6 pushrod junk
~180 Kw S.c v6
~225 Kw V8..

I could make more comparisons against nissans special vechical (SVD) devision and Ford Tickford experience.. Where flaws lay.

All Im saying is with this little grunt I don't know how ford sells many of them at all. They are as slow/slower than a statesman/forte/traffic, they seem smaller inside, they are definately uglier than most cars, even tho the statesman is hardly sex on wheels. Power delivery seems at odds with the car, etc..

not fair, still its a comparison.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 04:22   #9 (permalink)
Chromed Member

yes, it definately is a comparison.

does that mean that my 4 cyl 93 model hiace should be half as quick as my 92 eb v8?:s6:
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 04:28   #10 (permalink)
Rail Rider

Comparing Enigine Kw to weight doesn't mean much when you put it through a gear box and diff.

The Fairlane would be geared rather high for comfort and smoothness, leaving it not very sprinty.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub