Slow moving pommie car - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2001, 04:26   #1 (permalink)

Slow moving pommie car

Fastest-Ever MG Hits The Road
Rejuvenated UK car maker MG Rover has delivered on its promise to build a super saloon to lock horns with BMW's M5 and the Mercedes E55. Pictured here for the first time, the 500bhp rear-wheel-drive, V8-engined MG ZT XPower 500 is the fastest road-going MG ever.
It's the realisation of a proud boast made by the group at this year's Geneva Motor Show that such a vehicle could be made, and offers a glimpse into the future of the MG brand.

Following in the tracks of the 500bhp 2.0-litre turbo MGF unveiled at last month's Le Mans 24-Hours, the 4.6-litre XPower 500 promises a 0-60mph sprint time of only 4.5 seconds and an incredible top speed of 190mph. Even more impressively, this V8 monster will reach 100mph from standstill in only 8.4 seconds. It paves the way for next spring's launch of two powerful MG-based Rover 75s. The first will be a 256bhp V8, with a 370bhp 'ultimate' edition to follow. Prices are still to be confirmed, but the entry-level car is expected to cost at least 30,000.

While at first sight the new machine has little in common with the standard 75 upon which it is based, MG's engineers say it took little effort to prepare the XPower for the road. Converting the bodyshell from front to rear-wheel drive was relatively simple, as the rear axle design was inspired by that of BMW's 3-Series. This means there's plenty of room for the driveshafts and differential, while swapping from front to rear also frees up more space for the engine and the six-speed gearbox.

The rest of the transformation includes 18-inch alloys and improved brakes to cope with the increase in weight and power. To help channel all that drive on to the road, suspension is uprated, and engineers have fitted a Hydratrak limited slip differential to prevent wheelspin in tight corners.

Inside, Sparco seats and harnesses hold the driver in place. But the car's production cousins will be less extreme, featuring metallic inserts in the dashboard and user-friendly seats, as seen in the picture at the top of the page.

Rob Oldaker, product development director at MG Rover, is overjoyed with this latest concept. He told us: "The lid that restrained the development of MG in recent years has been blown off, and the results are truly explosive."
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2001, 04:48   #2 (permalink)
GTHO4

MG's aren't bad for pommie cars.
First time I've heard of them to have V8's very impressed :eek:
Old 07-04-2001, 06:55   #3 (permalink)

Fark, 0-100mph in 8.4secs, that would be an 11 second 1/4 mile car :eek::eek:
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 19:24   #4 (permalink)

The early 4cyl MGs were crap!:thumbdown
Went like a tired snail and you needed a shoehorn to get in and out of one, fatties need not apply!
The current 4cyl models have been reported in latest Motor or Wheels to be overpriced for what they are. I quite like the look of them though, saw one the other day down at the local shops with a gorgeous blonde driving!:D
These new V8s sound like a big improvement though, are they going to sell them here in OZ?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 20:02   #5 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by gtho4
MG's aren't bad for pommie cars.
First time I've heard of them to have V8's very impressed :eek:
MG's have been available with V8's before, remember the MGBV8 of the 70's - running the 3.5l Rover V8?

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 00:04   #6 (permalink)
GTHO4

Nope.. can't say I remember, only Rover V8's
Got too much Ford in my brain.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:24   #7 (permalink)

Work mate ran an MGB in Targa but pulled the 3.5 out and used a 4.4l. With the ex buick V8 under the hood the little MG could move reasonably quickly.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:48   #8 (permalink)

The MG Rover 4.6 V8 might be the Cobra V8 as used in the Mustang. At least that was what we were told by the Rover rep a while ago, there is also the possiblity of Ford taking over or joining forces with MG Rover in the UK due to the Land Rover Freelander using Rover engines and BMW shafting Ford. My only doubts with the V8 MG coming here is the fact that no one in there right mind will pay more then $100 000 for a hotted up Rover sedan. Trust me, Iam a new Rover mechanic. Just comparing them to what is out there at the moment I can safely say that I would buy a Holden before I would buy the Rover 75. Although some people like them.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:56   #9 (permalink)

I suspect you are right about the motor being a Ford unit. Ford are looking at replacing the landrover engines with their own supply from Jag and Aston.
Old 07-05-2001, 04:13   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Buick did make the alloy mill before they[B.L] bought the tooling with added cylinder head bolts.HSE2 I guess the 4;4 was the P76 V8. Showing my age here I guess...Petrol is still in my veins...
Reminds me of the car made by Triumph[Maxwell Smart??]Had the good ole 289 in it . Triumph ...Tiger I think....right????...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub