Small car issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2003, 19:50   #1 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

Small car issue

ok i know I said that I was looking at getting a mrII RS2000 but I want to keep my options open. I would also really like a slight more modern car (current ride is '88).

Ive seen some sweet looking laser tx3's around lately and its got me thinking...why not?

Well firstly yes its FWD..I dont know how I would cope with that but I guess I would get used to it. Plus I might as well try different cars so i can make up my own mind on whats better.

Anyway..the two cars in question would be a 1988-89 TX3 turbo 4x4 or a 1991-92 TX3 non-turbo (as most of the turbos are 8-9k and I only really have 5-7 to play with).

Now the 92 has 110kw and weighs approximatley 1000kgs (from memory). That to me would mean that it wouldn't be slow, but not that quick at the same time, maybe spirited is a good word. Styling IMO is good and it has all the features that anyone would really need.

The 88-89 is in the same boat..has around the same power but weighs 100kgs more and you can give or take 10kws..I think take. I would be a bit worried about the 'boxes and engine/turbo as they would be around the 180k mark atleast by now.

What do you guys think? Anyone had any experience with these cars?
Keep in mind that I still have atleast 4 years of uni so I need something thats goig to be reliable and fairly cheap to run. Although I dont mind spending some $$ on "nessesary" mods. ;-)

Ive been to fordlaser.com and read a bit....although most of them seem a bit ricey/immature -> not having a crack it was a general obsevation.

Oh and dont worry, this is a tempory ride, as when I finish uni, and put it to use, I defentaly want to get back into the falc's..a XR8 at that!

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2003, 21:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: Small car issue

Maybe try find a Mazda familia GTX, I know its not a ford, but its close. You should be able to pick one up for around 7-8k and they are a lot stonger overall than the laser TX3 4x4. (yes they are also 4x4 & turbo'd). These cars respond really well to mods due to the fact they are built tough, and as long as you keep the boost to a reasonable level you shouldn't be spending much on fuel. Only problem is (as with all tubo cars) insurance will cost alot.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 21:09   #3 (permalink)

What about a Turbo TX5/626 or an MX6.
$7k will get you a good one and they fly with a bit more boost and the usual boltons.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 23:08   #4 (permalink)
goooone

I've had 2 KF TX3s & currently have a KE TX3 all have been non turbos & all have been fantastic cars. One of my KFs had over 350,000kms & was always reliable & I still see it getting around & despite what alot of people say the Mazda & Ford are no better of worse then each other really it's like what the SR2 & SP20 were basically the same thing tweaked slightly differently.
The only real weakpoint is the boxes same as all AWDs to a degree. The latter KF/KHs are alot nicer if you can stretch it but I'd reccomend either.
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 01:14   #5 (permalink)
allsorts

Pulsar SSS. cant go wrong with an SR20
Old 12-05-2003, 03:04   #6 (permalink)
goooone

Before I got my 2 KFs I drove the SSS before & prefered the Lasers actually I drove any sort of competitor I could think of Corrollas,Swifts,205s,Civics & all sorts of other things & found the TX3s the nicest to drive & live with but part of that was I guess that i'm tall & I simply didn't fit into alot of them too so I guess it just depends on what you feel comfortable with.
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:51   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboute
Maybe try find a Mazda familia GTX, I know its not a ford, but its close. You should be able to pick one up for around 7-8k and they are a lot stonger overall than the laser TX3 4x4. (yes they are also 4x4 & turbo'd). These cars respond really well to mods due to the fact they are built tough, and as long as you keep the boost to a reasonable level you shouldn't be spending much on fuel. Only problem is (as with all tubo cars) insurance will cost alot.
duuuuuuude welcome to my world

firstly kf/kh 1989-1993?? are 117kw
GTX and tx3 are mecahnically one and the same(jap spec computer 134kw).

mazda GTR=different
as for which car you should buy.... if you treat it well tx3's are cheap fast and above all oversteer if you want them too 47/53 front/rear drive.
so far ive got 210kw out of mine. handle fantastic and if you keep it off boost pretty good fuel economy.
drawbacks..
insurance, 2 door is not for families

parts fairly cheap (panels) but if your unsympathetic mechanically(me) youll hate changing gearboxes.

Last edited by tx3dude; 12-05-2003 at 03:55.
tx3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 04:17   #8 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

hmm Ok here is my take.
Don't go a TX5/Mazda MX6 as they have way to much torque steer and under steer and are no where near as balanced as the lasers.
The Famila's are a great import and while similar almost no parts fit them apart from Familia parts (aka you can't fix them with laser/323 parts so fixing is costly.

The 4x4 Lasers have weak gear boxes so check them carefully when you buy.

I personally would recommend either a KC or KE 4x4 tx3. They are brillant and well balanced cars and very reliable motors that respond well to boost.

But as I found out moving from an EL falcon to a TX5 (missus has the KC laser) once you've driven a Falcon you won't really enjoy driving a smaller car.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:21   #9 (permalink)
spaced out

my brother had a few problems with the 86/87 TX3 4wd turbo he owned, but what do you expect with 200kws at all 4 wheels, he currently owns a 92 tx3 non turbo and only has 1 problem the water pump shit its self, since his knowlege on cars isnt the best fuel, air, water, oil. and thats it any thing else goes to the mechanics, if you keep the car maintained it will be hassle free

Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:25   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carazy
hmm Ok here is my take.
Don't go a TX5/Mazda MX6 as they have way to much torque steer and under steer and are no where near as balanced as the lasers.

Yeah but the TX5/626 are much nicer cars, better built, full electrics, comfy, more room, 5 door, sleeper etc. Sure if you wanted an outright track weapon the Laser would be the go, but for a reasonable quick comfy daily driver the TX5/626 is much better IMO.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub