Snap! (its a long one!) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2004, 21:53   #1 (permalink)
Poorer than ever!

frown Snap! (its a long one!)

While paying a visit to Monash, I went to park the car in the gravel pit (for those of you who don't know monash imagine a whole lot of gravel/dirt/dust) and while parking the car, crunch! S**t, I parked a little too close to those concrete things seperating the car parks. So I reversed slowly, but SNAP

I got out, looked and found that my front spoiler had snapped on that damn concrete thing. It was my bad luck - all the other contrete things on either side of the park were at least 5cm lower! So after spending a few minutes kicking and swearing at the concrete barrier, I took a trip down to the parking office to complain.

Monash University don't take any responsibility for any damage caused to your car while in the car parks - even when its their damn concrete thing that caused the damage.

What a cop out!! So, now to the point of the story - does anybody know anybody good panel beaters willing to fix it up on the cheap? I would take it to the local guys, but knowing them they'll charge me an arm and a leg!

Or is it just a matter of fibreglassing it myself. I'll have some time after exams and I'll try and get ahold of a dig camera and take some pics, but take my word for it - it's bad

So the moral of the story - the staff in the parking office at Monash Uni are a bunch of wankers!!
kingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2004, 21:56   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: Snap! (its a long one!)

Well is it plastic or fibreglass, if fibreglass then just glass it yourself $50 should buy way too much glass then what would you would use, if it's plastic then metal, rivets and fibreglass, but will never be as good as it used to be (wont flex much for a start)

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 22:05   #3 (permalink)
Poorer than ever!

It's plastic - I'm just wondering if somebody has done something like this before. That way hopefully I'll have a better idea if it's something i can fix or if it's time to visit the panel beater and hand over the dosh
Old 11-11-2004, 22:06   #4 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Is it just the bumper thats broken? Is it cracked? Which part?
Would another bumper be an easier option?

You did run into it, its not the parking people's fault.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 22:16   #5 (permalink)
Poorer than ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansEdgli
Is it just the bumper thats broken? Is it cracked? Which part?
Would another bumper be an easier option?

You did run into it, its not the parking people's fault.
I'm happy to admit it is my fault, I did park there, I just wasn't happy that it was actually a lot higher than the other concrete blocks there and thought i'd see what they say. I wasn't happy, but looking back on it now I do understand there's not much they could do about it. At least I know not to park there now

The part that's snapped is the actual front spoiler that screws on under the front bumper. Another front spoiler could be an option - I'm just trying to find out what option would be the cheapest now. I'll certainly look to replacing it later.
Old 11-11-2004, 22:26   #6 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Jesus, you're trying to blame these poor staff members (who have nothing to do with the construction of the car park) because of something that is your own dumb fault? Most of us are quite capable of parking our cars without damaging them. Maybe you need a little more practise.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 22:30   #7 (permalink)
.au member

Read his post. He is NOT blaming the parking people for it. Geez, if you wanna give everyone the 3rd degree go over to fordmods, theyll gladly take you.
Old 11-11-2004, 22:30   #8 (permalink)
w w w .eafalcon. c o m

ED XR front spoliers are pretty rare, good luck finding one, i'm sure it would be repairable anyway. I gave a damaged one to Sundeep, as i kept ripping it off on those blocks. I should have kept it, they looks great when they're not cracked/snapped etc..

Damo
dpk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 22:32   #9 (permalink)
Poorer than ever!

Can I please just say that I do understand that my parking was at fault. If I could edit my first post I would to remove certain parts. If anybody knows how to edit my first post, please let me know and I'll certainly change it.

I was quite abrupt in that post and I'm sorry if anybody took offense.

Don't you just wish you could turn back time a few minutes?
Old 11-11-2004, 22:54   #10 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Take it to a panel place and get a quote you may be surpised, get one for the whole job, and AFTER you get that, ask how much for just painting, you may be surprised at the cost, i think it will be more of a shock ............. LOL

If you want some tips of fibre glassing if you do it yourself drop me a PM, I have been doing a fair bit lately.

OH, and next time you hear that noise, put the car in neutral get out, and lift it back over the concrete, great design just like thongs only go forwards ..

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub