So i drove an Evo 5 Club Spec WRX....... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2004, 00:55   #1 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

So i drove an Evo 5 Club Spec WRX.......

Well, i got a suprise the other day when my old man rocked up in his new toy. Build number 105 (even has shiny little plaque in console) limited edition 2002 model Club Spec Evo 5 WRX. It's bright yellow pastel, and has been lowered considerably with big 18's. Yeah, my old man is over 50. This replaces his 200sx :D

So what did i think?
Ok, i'm a pretty well built guy and the first thing i discovered was the seats. They would be awesome in a race, but these things are designed to hug the sides of the average Japanese guy which is factually smaller than the average aussie. Mind you, after a while i didn't notice it biting at my sides too much, couldn't really look forward to a long trip though. It's not as roomy as the XR obviously but it's still not bad considering it's much more compact size.
The car looks great, i'm not a fan of the bug eye head lights in that model but the yellow hides it. It has a nice sporty interior and even has a pillar mounted boost gauge like "fully sic" cars get upgraded with . Not to mention the security number pad under the handbrake, which needs disarming before the car will fire up. It has a nice premium stereo much like Ford's, but i found it didn't quite have the depth i like.
Performance wise was very good. This things meant to do 0-100 in a touch over 6 seconds. Being spoilt by my V8's torque it took a while getting used to the turbo lag, but the motor is very strong and really hauls once in boost. Suprisingly, the boost guage bounced off 15psi which is quite high standard. His 200sx from memory ran at about 7psi. It's a very smooth motor (so much so that if you were deaf you wouldn't know it was revving almost) and the power band goes hard into the redline which makes it tricky knowing when to shift unless you watch the tacho. If you don't, expect a harsh rev limiter much before you're thinking it's ready to change. The handling is limited only by the cheapish tyres the car yard put on. It would really drive on rails with some good rubber, especially with it's addition of Super Lows.
All in all a very nice package, 12 months ago i wouldn't have craved one now, but now i'm used to the ease of V8 driving it'll be hard to go back to 4 pot driving.

Previously: AUII XR8 ute which I miss!

Last edited by -Nemesis-; 03-12-2004 at 01:01.
-Nemesis- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2004, 00:59   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: So i drove an Evo 5 Club Spec WRX.......

Is your old man having a mid life crisis??
Old 03-12-2004, 01:03   #3 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Hehe everyone says that. He's always been a car buff since i can remember. He drove an 1975 Galant up untill about 7 years ago because money was not in surplus. So i guess now he's just making up for lost time.
He actually told me he's going to keep it for 2 years or so and see what the next series XR8 is like as he is afterall a Ford man.

Old 03-12-2004, 14:25   #4 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

The WRX isn't such a bad car. To bad most WRX owners (that I know at least) are f***wits. Last WRX I had any experience with was a 2002 STi. Those things are sharp.
Old 03-12-2004, 14:32   #5 (permalink)
Now With 9 inch LSD Diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBXR
Is your old man having a mid life crisis??
you beat me too it! lol
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 14:50   #6 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

I don't mind WRX's but I think it's absolutely that Subaru put Evo names and badges/stickers on some of their cars. The only and true Evo's are made by Mitsubishi.

LOL @ your dad though. Does he drag off teeny boppers in their fully sick fart machines and blow them away? That would be a funny sight!
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 14:59   #7 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

hehe that would be a sight

Chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 15:00   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8_Ute
Hehe everyone says that. He's always been a car buff since i can remember. He drove an 1975 Galant up untill about 7 years ago because money was not in surplus. So i guess now he's just making up for lost time.
He actually told me he's going to keep it for 2 years or so and see what the next series XR8 is like as he is afterall a Ford man.
Hopefully one day he might be back in a Ford again lol but seriously the WRX are a nice car but are just too small,give me a V8 any day especially in a Ford.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 22:49   #9 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Heheh yeah he does actually. He hates the little homie wanna be's in their little buzz box's. He won't knock back a challenge.
He loves my ute though, i think he may be jealous because he likes the big room inside.... And the leather.... Oh and the roar!

Old 03-13-2004, 01:20   #10 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

I wouldn't say no to a little Rex if given the chance, I quite like them, but overall I'm still a Ford V8 man, you just cant go past the sound of a nice 8, or the grunt.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub