Some thoughts for Ford Aus. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2001, 03:48   #1 (permalink)
Mmmm, forbidden donut

Some thoughts for Ford Aus.

Reading Friday's car section in the Herald-Sun and found some interesting points to note in a "Holden on to No. 1" article by (surprise, surprise...) Paul Gover.

Exports - GMH are definitley planning to increase Commodore exports, and to the USA. 20,000 to 60,000 are the potential numbers quoted. IMO Ford must generate an export program with the AV, if there is a market for Commodore out there surely there is a market for Falcon too.

Four wheel drive project - GMH are definitely doing a 4WD Commodore, for the last six months all I've heard from Ford is that the decision is close, tossing up this and that etc. IMO Ford must commit to a 4WD Falcon soon, otherwise that's just another chunk of market share that they would hand Holden. Holden seem very keen to have a competitor to Ford in every segment (tray back ute in development etc.).

Image - To quote Peter Hanenberger "I believe we are still the only Australian company" (ummm, did they cut ties with GM??) and on Monaro "It is image. It's emotion, technology, fashion."

Bring back GT Ford! Now THAT is image and emotion in a car!
The Mighty XE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2001, 03:58   #2 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

I don't understand why Ford haven't got a LHD falcon program going. The other 3 manufacturers do (holden, toyota, mitsubishi), and I have no doubt that it's now hurting them. It's probably got more to with Ford (Global) not allowing a left hooker program, but they should have one IMHO and if they don't have one when AV is released then they are gonna be behind the 8 ball.

And regarding the 4wD program, if what I have been told is close to the truth, then Fords Aus 4WD program is on very rocky ground, and could be set back a while, I damn hope not.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 03:59   #3 (permalink)

confused

Yes you're spot on there with your thoughts Mighty XE. Ford have to be more bold and release these cars that we see as show cars or hear about being evaluated. Up until now, Ford 9/10ths of the time are one step behind Holden, reacting instead of acting.:rolleyes:
From what I can gather, Ford's 4WD program has been on the cards a lot longer than Holdens venture, so there's no excuse for being second in the cross-over segment.
I'd like to think things are changing for the better. Let's take the initiative Big Geoff. As for exporting the Falcon, here's to hoping.The world doesn't know how good a car we have "Down Under".
Russell.
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 04:02   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

About exports IMO, i'm not too sure if GM and Ford in the US are in the same boat. A big part of GM in the US are having disasterious sales, so an introduction of the Commodore for export, could generate revenue.
The Chevy Lumina is the export statesman to the US.
But for Ford they are making record sales in all divisions from their Fseries Trucks to the Luxo sedans. There was a report sometime ago that Lincoln has officially taken over Cadillac as America's Luxury car maker.
Good news for them but not so for Falcon, the falcon will almost certainly cut into their market of taurus and Crown Victoria and their sister cars sable and continental.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 04:09   #5 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY
About exports IMO, i'm not too sure if GM and Ford in the US are in the same boat. A big part of GM in the US are having disasterious sales, so an introduction of the Commodore for export, could generate revenue.
The Chevy Lumina is the export statesman to the US.
But for Ford they are making record sales in all divisions from their Fseries Trucks to the Luxo sedans. There was a report sometime ago that Lincoln has officially taken over Cadillac as America's Luxury car maker.
Good news for them but not so for Falcon, the falcon will almost certainly cut into their market of taurus and Crown Victoria and their sister cars sable and continental.
I don't know if I would agree with you EF_Falcon, the amount cars (in this case falcons) that would be exported would be negligable compared to the amount of Taurus/Victoria that are sold. I don't know how many of these cars they sell, but I would take a guess and say that they sell more than 20,000 a month, this is what Ford Aus would want to send per year, so I can't see it impacting or taking away a noticable amount of business for them, but definitely worthwhile for Ford Aus to send over 20,00+ falcons.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 07:54   #6 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

confused

I gotta say I don't know what would be better for Ford Oz at the moment.. The domestic market sucks arse so they need to build a position of strength there to begin with.. After that obstacle has been hurdled then maybe an export market can be achieved.. But to go up against the Crown Vic would only do damage to Ford Global.. and if you were in those guys shoes you wouldn't pit your own product up against your own product would you..
GM has only one rear drive 4 door platform on the planet and that is the crumbledoor.. No wonder there is an export market for the bastard..
I really hope that Ford Oz gets the domestic market right first before embarking on an ambicious export program for the Falcon..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 15:47   #7 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

exporting the car is not going to be the problem. it is the container load of spare parts for each car that creates the drama. Then you have setup costs and computer software, warehouse management systems to put in place, technical training for techs, execs and all. different tooling should any thing go wrong, the list is endless. oh and the biggy......smog regs.
Old 07-01-2001, 18:33   #8 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

There are two points in this thread that if combined could be something.If Ford Aus were to make a decent 4X4 Falcon then maybe that could have a place in the USA as it may be a niche area not competeing so much with another Ford product.Could take sales from Subaru..I reckon a 4wd Falcon wagon or car with V8 variants as well could be a go in the USA or for that matter other places as well.What do ya reckon.Could be reason enough to push on quickly with 4wd.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 23:17   #9 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I read somewhere a while ago that an XR8 Ute was sent over to the USA as a show-type car. From what I read/heard, they loved it. Over there they dont have a ute as such, just the big pick-ups.
It could be an option to export the ute instead of, or as well as the falcon.
I reckon a 4x4 is just what the doctor ordered. The falcon ute is a tuff as bricks already, and if they were to make a 4x4 version, it would be unstoppable.
Selling a 4x4 could be a bit difficult though. think of the models Ford would be going up against that already have huge respect in the 4wd arena.

Thats my 2c.

Paul.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 07:13   #10 (permalink)
EL Fairmont Ghia Member

Re: Some thoughts for Ford Aus.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Mighty XE
[B]Reading Friday's car section in the Herald-Sun and found some interesting points to note in a "Holden on to No. 1" article by (surprise, surprise...) Paul Gover.

That Paul Gover drives me insane. He has Holden tattooed on his ass or something I think.

Four wheel drive project - GMH are definitely doing a 4WD Commodore, for the last six months all I've heard from Ford is that the decision is close, tossing up this and that etc. IMO Ford must commit to a 4WD Falcon soon, otherwise that's just another chunk of market share that they would hand Holden. Holden seem very keen to have a competitor to Ford in every segment (tray back ute in development etc.).

I knew about the Raptor back in early 97............so old news hey.

Image - To quote Peter Hanenberger "I believe we are still the only Australian company" (ummm, did they cut ties with GM??) and on Monaro "It is image. It's emotion, technology, fashion."

God. did anyone read the latest Street machine, the article in the middle with the so called experts chatting, check out Haggarty's comments.........grrrrrrrrrrrr
VilkasMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub