Some tips please - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2002, 03:34   #1 (permalink)
Enjoying the Ride

Some tips please

I am driving from Sydney to Melbourne in August (first time), and I was after some tips on spotting the hidden speed cameras or any other nasties I might come across.

Has the 3km/h over the speed limit rule gone into effect yet?

Oh and I wouldn't mind directions to Herrods....:s6:

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2002, 03:36   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Firstly, I recommend driving within the speed limit. I do not think there is any safety benefit, but it reduces the probability of being caught and you won't be too late for wherever you're going.

But usually unmarked or marked cop cars (Camrys, Falcons, Commodores, Magnas, etc) will be on the side of the road and be unmistakable. But I hear they are a bit more inconspicuous these days. Watch your back.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 03:38   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Wrong post. sorry

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 04:15   #4 (permalink)
Mmmm, forbidden donut

Are there any fixed speed cameras in Vic?
Old 06-19-2002, 05:05   #5 (permalink)
Cobra188

Can't help you with what happens in VIC except you are "bait" at anything more than 10kph over the posted limit. In NSW they allow you 15kph for radar but only 10% over the posted if they are following - luckily though the cops in NSW are too lazy to drive their cars so you are basically safe to the "15 kph over mark" - I always set my cruise to 122 in a 110 zone and I drive past the lazy buggers sitting behind the bushes with their radar on all the time no worries - do have to be careful though on some steep downhills.
As for cameras, the Hume has all the spots marked where there are fixed 24 hr cameras - but you never know where the mobile ones might be - get a CB and listen to channel 40 for road reports.
Also the sneaky bastards will sometimes hire cars like BMWs, Audis, or anything at all and they will actually goad people into a duel then book 'em - this hasn't happened to me but it has been publicised in the media up here and was also reported as happening by a friend of mine - yes I do have one LOL
Old 06-19-2002, 05:08   #6 (permalink)
gone

Heerods at 104 northgate drive thomastown vic., use www.whereis.com to map a route to follow and print it!

Dont go over 10ks
Watch out for Albury/Wodonga streets at 60ks
Also around 150ks outa Melbourne., no more than 5 ks over limit
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:39   #7 (permalink)

Fixed cameras in the City link tunnel
and .. Cameras all over the freeways, dunno if they're activated yet, but freeways now are prob the worst place to speed..
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:49   #8 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

Welcome to victoria, the place where you can be caught speeding by the most variety of types of speed cameras, more than any place in the world. We have the most advanced technology to catch speeders, no joke mate, it scares me too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Herald sun article from todays paper.

Secret hi-tech cameras nab 5000
By GENEVIEVE LALLY
19jun02

MORE than 5000 drivers have been caught in a secret trial of new red-light speed cameras at just two intersections.

While drivers will escape $780,000 in fines, the results have spurred the State Government to push ahead with plans for 50 new hi-tech cameras.
The cameras, which will be moved between more than 50 intersection black spots, can issue two tickets simultaneously -- one for speeding and one for running a red light.

Victoria is one of the first states to introduce the technology into its extensive network of hidden cameras.

The secret VicRoads trial was conducted at two busy Melbourne intersections.

At one outer suburban intersection, 4400 motorists were caught speeding through red lights.

Of those, 1600 were exceeding the speed limit by 15km/h or more and 89 were clocked travelling more than 30km/h over.

The intersection was monitored on and off for 544 hours -- the equivalent of more than 22 days.

At an inner city site -- which had higher traffic volumes but fewer recorded crashes -- 687 drivers were speeding.

Traffic was measured for 320 hours and 181 motorists were clocked driving more than 15km/h too fast. Nine were speeding by at least 30km/h.

The decision to waive fines during the trials follows an outcry over a speed camera trial on the Monash Freeway that netted almost $10 million in three months.

But the Government still expects to collect almost $337 million in fines this year -- 85 per cent more than last year.

Transport Minister Peter Batchelor yesterday said he was shocked by the secret trial results.

"These figures are a recipe for road carnage and that's what we are trying to prevent," he said.

"People either don't understand how dangerous it is, or they are just prepared to chance their arm, and we want to put a stop to it."

Mr Batchelor said the Government planned to alert motorists to the presence of the cameras by placing warning signs at the intersections.

"Red-light cameras are currently sign-posted and we would see no reason to change that," he said.

It will be the first time in Victoria the exact location of a speed camera has been identified.

Opposition transport spokesman Geoff Leigh said installing the warning signs was a backflip by the Government.

He said the Government had until now refused to bow to public pressure to erect warning signs for speed cameras, leading to allegations they were more concerned with raising revenue than road safety.

He called on the Government to reveal all speed camera locations.

Mr Leigh warned that placing speed cameras at intersections could cause more accidents when motorists slammed on their brakes to avoid getting a ticket.

But Mr Batchelor said those fears were unfounded because road rules required motorists to approach an intersection in a safe manner.

Mr Batchelor said the Government investigated the cameras after research revealed side-impact crashes -- often the result of running red lights -- had risen steadily since 1988, but front-on accidents had dropped dramatically, he said.

privacy Herald and Weekly Times
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 15:36   #9 (permalink)
Enjoying the Ride

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will take it really easy. Although it is hard when I want to go to Herrods!
Old 06-19-2002, 16:38   #10 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

I spotted a camera in a Nissan Navara duel cab ute the other day.

Bastards arn't playing by the rules anymore.
RAPID BA MKII GT WITH BLACK STRIPES
GT BLOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub