Speed Camera Q's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2003, 22:50   #1 (permalink)
Fully Sick Magna Driver

Question Speed Camera Q's

I was just wondering if someone could shed some light on speed cameras.

Is there a laser that detects your speed? Because I have noticed these little black grooves in the road just where the speed camera is. They are the same as the grooves on the road at traffic lights. Are they respoinsible for checking your speed?

Also, can speed cameras take photos front-on? My mate told me that apparently they cant do that because of privacy reasons or something. I've always thought they could.

Cheers.
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2003, 23:00   #2 (permalink)
XR82GO

Re: Speed Camera Q's

Apparently as I know it....

Fixed speed cameras can only take the photo from the back of your car (rear plate). Both due to the Privacy act and due to the safety issues of the flash going off in the drivers eyes.

The 3 lines you find on the road beside every fixed camera.
when you cross the first line and second it determines your speed and if over the 3rd line triggers the camera.

Now I'm not 100% sure on this so dont go and try it out, but it does look like this is the case as the lines are only on one side of the road.

Anyone that knows for a fact is welcome to correct me.

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 23:05   #3 (permalink)
Fully Sick Magna Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylox
Now I'm not 100% sure on this so dont go and try it out, but it does look like this is the case as the lines are only on one side of the road.
Most places I have driven past have lines on only one side of the road, but I remember driving past Woy Woy South Public School where they have the variable speed camera and I could see lines on both sides of the road.
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 23:15   #4 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

We should have noted that this thread is for NSW only, as other states have different SOPs relating to speed traps and fixed camera locations.

This is the deal in NSW: All speed camera photos used to be taken from the rear of the car only, however, since the installation of the IR flash cameras in the school zone, these cameras fire both ways due to the lack of a blinding flash. Also, the state government has threatened to modify existing fixed cameras for two way.

It seems currently that the mobile speed camera cars only take shots from the rear of cars, I assume that this is because of the photography flash going off.

Cameras in NSW are apparently also pressure pad activated, except for those in the Sydney tunnels - however this is still unconfirmed as to whether these rely on pressure pad or laser. There are 5 speed cameras each way in the ED and three each way in the Harbour tunnel. Some cabbies seem to know where they are, Im not sure, nor would I rely on other drivers actions.

Other than that, watch your speed!
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 23:24   #5 (permalink)
spaced out

I know of one intersection that has 1 camera and 1 flash getting cars going both ways, the flash doesnt look a normal flash, i think it is a infered flash

Cameras are not activated by a pressure pad, this is a urban legend, just as pressure pads at traffic lights

Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 00:15   #6 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Tripper, sorry but in NSW the majority are pressure pad - from the RTA
Quote:
How do the digital cameras work?
The fixed speed cameras detect the speed of vehicles by using piezo electronic detectors embedded into the road surface. These piezo detectors deflect slightly when a vehicle is driven over the detectors, which then triggers an electronic device that accurately measures the speed of the vehicle. If the speed of the vehicle exceeds the legal limit then a digital picture is taken of the offending vehicle.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...meraswork.html
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 18:30   #7 (permalink)

All I Can Say Is If Your Car Has Cruse Control Use It

I Do
jvc head unit
infinity amps and speakers
factory sat nav and colour icc
momo wheel and sports shift
ss inductions cold air intake
k&n air filter
xr seats and door trims
xr dash face
18" xr8 alloy wheels

comeing soon

xr body kit and spoiler
(already have just need to get repainted and fitted)

xr head lights

sliver gt stripes
jeffrey2184au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 11:18   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper
Cameras are not activated by a pressure pad, this is a urban legend, just as pressure pads at traffic lights
Very few if any (fixed) speed cameras in NSW are laser. They're not a pressure pad as such but wires in a loop that gauge speed as you pass over each. Similar to the two black strips attached to a box layed on the road when the RTA are doing speed testing (and they seem to be doing alot around Sydney at the moment)

Easiest way to spot potential cameras in the M5 east and harbour tunnels is to look at where the loops are. I have a mate that works at the airport that knows where to slow down and hasn't been booked since the introduction of the M5 tunnel. They're easy enough to spot when you know what to look for.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 12:24   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_au
Tripper, sorry but in NSW the majority are pressure pad - from the RTA

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...meraswork.html
well, technically tripper is right... they aren't actually activated by pressure. Just being picky
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub