Speed, car vs truck - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2001, 02:56   #1 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

Speed, car vs truck

I have thought of a few more things about speeding.
How on earth can there be advertising about a car braking from say 60, then say 50 is safer by however many metres and deaths, when a big B-Double truck, or any truck or bus for that matter can do the same 50k and take maybe 5 times as long to stop than the car? and still be safe? In fact I can stop my motobike from 100 in 30 metres flat, a truck would stop from 50 in more than that!
So why cant my motorbike do 100 (I know 100 is too fast, just comparing for comparing's sake) and the truck be limited to 50?
And i can stop my falcon from 60 in about 10 or 15 metres.
Its just revenue raising, this speed blitz we are stuck in.
If it was about safety, trucks would be banned from all streets with pedestrians.
Also i think trucks shouldn't be allowed in the right hand lanes of highways!
They cause annoyance, which is probably a cause for people in cars to do silly things.
In Europe there are many Autobahns where the trucks arent allowed to pass at all.
Here perhaps, at least on 3 lane freeways, they shouldn't be allowed in the 3rd lane.
There should be no passing allowed on the left by any cars, this is more dangerous than speeding, and why cant they make camera's that actually capture dangerous driving like tailgating? how easy would it be to set up? Its just that speeding is the easiest way to make money, so who cares about all the other things.
What about not giving way at a stop sign? This would kill many people, its just that maybe not many people do it, so wouldn't be worthwhile innvestment wise. (that is they wont put one cop at a stop sign waiting all day for 1 bloke, even though this is the guy that is most likely to kill someone, but they will catch thousands of speeders, even though no one even crashes, eg, on a wide straight road with nothing around.)
I have had enough!!
ENOUGH I tell ya!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2001, 03:20   #2 (permalink)

i hear ya, but every time you tell this to someone else, they give you "talk to the hand" treatment.

there are two types of motorists - there are drivers, and there are commuters. drivers drive their cars for the fun of it! it would cost me less money to catch the train to work every day, but i still drive because it's quicker and a helluva lot more fun! then you have commuters who only use cars to get from A to B. these are the people that will follow blindly whatever shit the gov't serves them! they are the ones that won't listen to a reasonable argument simply because they think whatever the gov't says is right! MORONS!

Old 12-04-2001, 03:42   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

How about this most light trucks and commercials (Holden Rodaeos etc) don't pass NSW rego brake tests in damp conditions, you just can't get enough decelleration. Even those brand new from the factory.

Mainly due to weight distribution, they just can't brake properly.

Scarey thought?

I know I think it is concidering how many of these are driven by jerks at quite quick paces.

There is no legal concideration given to how quick your car or vechical can stop.

FSM nikki, a unladden light commercial and a 40 ton truck and a 911 GT2 are all given the same light under the law...

You would be suprised how many people can't fill up there own car either..

Driving ability and skill, ability of car and conditions of road are not concidered by the law. However these certianly do effect braking distance, crash avoidance and overall risk of injury and death.

However speed kills. The public awareness unit tells me so, and they are expert advertisers.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 03:51   #4 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

At my house near Geelong, there is a curvy street that goes past out the back, its up hill and suburban. So its a 50 zone of course.
50 or so is actually about the speed even someone giving it a bit of a go would sit on up this hill, BUT every day there are school busses that also do 50 up this hill, its just crazy, there is no way in the world they could stop for anything, but of course if i was driving just as dangerously, sitting on 100km/h (yes this is probably not even as bad as 50 in the bus), i would lose my licence? not that i would do that speed, but even 60 would get you a ticket.
Old 12-04-2001, 04:03   #5 (permalink)

the problem with our situation is that we all believe in something different, and therefore cannot agree on most issues and band together to change these things. if we could all agree on something, and say, vote for a motorist group that would represent out beliefs, i guess we could do SOMETHING. this way... there's not enough of us to make a significant difference under the current situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub