Speed Laws - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2003, 03:10   #1 (permalink)

Speed Laws

I think someone who can be bothered should start a petition endorsed by the RAC in all states, backed up by the Wheels and Motor mags, and get everyone to sign it, or even on the net. I'm so sick of this zero tolerance bull dust, and ultra slow limits.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2003, 04:24   #2 (permalink)

How about a petition to enforce driver education.

1: Drivers need to be certified to be able to instruct learners. Learners need to log hours with certified trainers to be eligible to become liscensed. Certified instructors can then endorse a learner to have attainted the required practical compenticies for a provisional license.
2: Restrict open licenses to motorists who have attended advanced driving courses. Encourage motorists to become qualified by providing rebates on registration and insurance.
3: Require additional license for towing.
4: Introduce a warning system for drivers who exceed the speed limit by less that 15Km/h.
5: Governments keep motorists notified to any changes in the road rules by mail outs. Five yearly retests for all drivers.
6: Mandatory yearly safety inspections for all vehicles in all states.
7: Tax 4x4's out of existenance.
8: (getting controversial) BAC between .05 and .07 to be a pointable offence. All pubs to provide a certified BAC test machines.
9: Police dangerous driving practices like tailgating.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 05:18   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

7: Tax 4x4's out of existenance.

As someone who will probably be doing some off road stuff in life, I have to ask, why?

How about a whole new licence catagory for 4WDs, and have them set up like firearms licences where you need a purpose (owning a farm or being a member of a gun club, etc) to own them. You'd need a purpose ie; towing, being a member of an off road club and actually using it off road and stuff of the like. Make these stupid bimbos who drive them around with one kid in the back buy sedans and wagons.

Taxing them to hell wont do much about Toorak Tractors and such, these people are rich enough to afford a bleeding Range Rover and the tax that would go with it.

The other points however, I agree with totally. Licences need to be harder to get. I've been on the roads two months and I'm confident I could get my P's (if I was 18) judging by the standard of some 'drivers'.

I'll be doing a defensive driving course once I've got my P's, that should be manditory for sure.

As for the topic to hand, the Victorian laws are BS. Should of voted the libs in. 3km tolerance is all well at good if your speedo is 5% over at 60kph, but you're stuffed if it's 5% over at 100kph.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 08:11   #4 (permalink)

I get PISSED when i hear people say that 4x4's should be taken of the road. It seems they get categorized into vehicles that aren't stable and safe, yet any car with a dick behind the wheel is more dangerous than your average joe behind a 4x4
Old 02-09-2003, 17:07   #5 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

cs123,

In NSW, Learner Driver's are issued a log book on passing the computer based road-rules test.

In it are 20 activities, gradually increasing in difficulty from knowing the controls of the car to Hazard Perception skills, which must be completed to a 'requires no assistance' level.

Additionally NSW Learner drivers must accrue a minimum of 50 hours prior to taking the driving test, which must also be logged. Date, time, departure point, destination, km's driven, instructing driver, licence details of instructing driver and of course their signature, weather conditions, road conditions and traffic conditions.

Also, in NSW, Learners can only be instructed by person's who have a full NSW Driver's licence. P-platers cannot instruct Learners.

Now, P-platers are on P's for three years. Yep that's 3. A minimum of one year on P1's (red) with 3 demerit points to play with (or 3 demerit points LEFT).

After 12 months on P1's and upon passing a hazard perception test on computer P2's are issued. At this stage 6 demerit points are issued.

After 2 years of this another computer test is undertaken - "Driver Qualification Test" which is a combination of elements in the hazard perception test and a rehash of the road rules. In total it's about a 3.5 to 4 year process.

This morning I was driving behind one of those Learn to drive cars with the big 'L' sign on the roof. Only the driving instructor, no student. This guy failed to give way correctly, failed to indicate correctly twice and was speeding. Hmmm.........

Anyway, back to the point in NSW its two demerit points if you're caught speeding not less than 15 km/h above the posted speed limit.

I did an advanced driver training day with the Tickford guys at Wakefield. That was a good experience in learning the cars' (or more correctly the driver's) limits. I do have plans to do a full defensive driving course shortly.

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 17:42   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

A simular thread exists at ls1.com.au

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...&threadid=8988

Ive put my ideas on a momentum based system of punishment and fines. I think its fair to all drivers and pedestrians. Not only will you please car enthusist, but motor bike enthusists, 4wd enthusists, truck drivers etc.. Everyone wins, larger pool of voters..

You can't start a party that wants to ban 4wds. You won't recive wide enough audience, you will be written off as a special interest party of freaks..

Pubs should all by law provide breath test machines. For free to all customers. 0.05 should remain a fairly serious offense, but I don't think removing licences is going to solve the problem.. reoffense is just as likely.

I have a new concept a 100 point licence, basically it allows enforcement of less serious offences with out excessive punishment. Complete reform of the point system. Low number of points means you will be contacted by some sort of Road help organisation.. Banning peoples licences with out telling them or helping them to be better drivers won't solve the problem.

Police should diversify areas of traffic policing, not just speeding and drink driving. They are major points, but I don't think THE major points that need to be addressed. Police should be given more discresion in enforcement situations. There should be a entire new system if you think the enforcement is wrong or unfair.

Not just more licence testing, but the right licence testing. I don't think the current licence testing is right, its not only long and complicated, but completely misses the point.

I also have ideas on public transport, improving emissions, fuel tax, alternative energy, ADR for vechicals etc...

I can't run for parliment myself because I am a dual citizenship. However if anyone wants any ideas or wants to talk through concepts I can help, I might even be able to help get your foot through the door if you want to speak to high level politians.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 00:00   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Futura97
I get PISSED when i hear people say that 4x4's should be taken of the road. It seems they get categorized into vehicles that aren't stable and safe, yet any car with a dick behind the wheel is more dangerous than your average joe behind a 4x4
I was a bit out of line with the 4X4 remark. It is out of frustration of the sheer number that are bought purely for "safety" and the higher proportion if idiots driving them. Getting tailgated is bad enough, being tailgated by a 4x4 is scary.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 00:07   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, let 4X4s stay, they are my favorite, if you couldn't tell already...you can have so much fun with them!
No additional license, but rather, driving tuition companies should have bigger cars than Hyundai Excels.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 13:46   #9 (permalink)
Interloper from LS1.com

Quote:
Originally posted by IPhido
Police should diversify areas of traffic policing, not just speeding and drink driving. They are major points, but I don't think THE major points that need to be addressed. Police should be given more discresion in enforcement situations. There should be a entire new system if you think the enforcement is wrong or unfair.
The other thing the Police need to do is get rid of the majority of the unmarked cars and use high visibility marked cars. They also need a markedly increased presence on the road.

Hidden cameras and the like aren't a deterrant to bad driving - shiny flourescent Police car driving along beside you is.

I've just been back to NZ for a holiday and it was noticeable how many Highway patrol cars are on the road, yet everyone still drives above the limit (I was holding up traffic all the time doing my paranoid Vic driver 50kph) and road toll is similar to here (their main prob is quality of roading)

Conversely when we went to Summernats, Melbourne to Canberra we saw a single Police car on 300kms of Hume hwy in Vic and 3 in NSW. Saw one or two in NSW and none in VIC on the way back, yet in Vic this was supposedly during "the extension of the VIC Police's Xmas Road Blitz" - blitz my arse.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 15:11   #10 (permalink)
Kodak Moment

Quote:
Originally posted by Futura97
Whilst I'm not a great fan of SUVs, I agree that they are not the ONLY problem on the roads and I rather be on the road with one that some idiot driving an old Holden who finds it neccessary (or cool?) to screech his tyres at every lights.
marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub