speed limits!!! who sets them??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2004, 05:48   #1 (permalink)

speed limits!!! who sets them???

does anyone know who sets these limits and what/how do they decide what limit is appropriate for each road? i went round a bend the other day and a sign said 100km and i just made it round the corner doin 70kmph. I thought maybe i miss read the sign so i doubled back and checked it and i was right. I even gave the corner another go but still nowhere near 100kmph. Even through shopping districts like springvale its 60kmph but in other areas u much slow down to 40kmph and i dont see a rational reason for this. What gives?
boss351c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2004, 17:31   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: speed limits!!! who sets them???

it is set by Vic Roads in con*****tion with the councils ... but remember that it is a limit, not what you have to travel at. There are plenty of windy country roads with a limit of 100 that even a F1 car would bve struggling to reach that speed.
How they decide the limit?? I suspect it involves a lot of recreational chemical substance abuse.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 17:39   #3 (permalink)
Sex on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by xacoupe
There are plenty of windy country roads with a limit of 100 that even a F1 car would bve struggling to reach that speed.
I've told you 100 million times not to exaggerate!!!

Click here to see full size avatar....

Autos are for lazy drivers
GTPChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 17:47   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPChris
I've told you 100 million times not to exaggerate!!!
go to Tassie !!! those roads are the best I have driven on for fun .. but very bad for hire car brakes...
now back in yor box !!
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 18:41   #5 (permalink)
still around... sometimes

From what i've seen, if a corner is not possible to negotiate at the posted speed limit in the area, there will be a yellow advisory speed sign. I think they're more intended for trucks, but you can still use them as a guide. I don't know if it's a legal requirement, but you'd think the engineers would be required to have them there, just to cover their own arse if someone flies off the road?

Jared
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 18:44   #6 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

i've been told by the AAMI driver training lead guy that some of the speed limits were developed for passenger comfort as well. I have never really taken any notice of that comment but yeah.
Old 09-25-2004, 22:44   #7 (permalink)

There are a few roads like this near where i live, narellen road is about 10kms long and has 3 rather large dual lane roundabouts on it. On entering and leaving each one was posted at 60km then back to 80 and now for some funny reason new signs are up and its 80 all the way through. Not that i care but when you get people who cant drive they actually try and take the rouadabout at 80kms. Another one werombi road signposted at 90k's which s a long windy country road (sorta) which i can safely do more than that in most parts but in my sisters lancer or the old mans sahara i wouldnt dare take most corners at more than 75.

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 22:53   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
There are a few roads like this near where i live, narellen road is about 10kms long and has 3 rather large dual lane roundabouts on it. On entering and leaving each one was posted at 60km then back to 80 and now for some funny reason new signs are up and its 80 all the way through. Not that i care but when you get people who cant drive they actually try and take the rouadabout at 80kms. Another one werombi road signposted at 90k's which s a long windy country road (sorta) which i can safely do more than that in most parts but in my sisters lancer or the old mans sahara i wouldnt dare take most corners at more than 75.
I think i remember reading in the learner book that the yellow signs are a suggested speed for a normal car, in good condition, in good weather. Between yarra glen and yea theres plenty of signs that i'd take at under the yellow sign speed in the landcruiser, but dad's focus doesn't have to slow down at all (and it's still not extreme). I think the yellow signs are an underestimate for a normal car. When theres no yellow signs it just takes some common sense... (lack thereof necessitating the yellow signs)
not taking a stab at you there boss351c, i agree that some posted limits are too high...

-Stu :)
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 23:01   #9 (permalink)
I wanna eat your children

im pretty sure the yellow signs on turns/exits etc are just suggested speeds to travel through that corner safely etc.....and that only the white speed limit signs are the LIMITED speed.....

it still doesnt make sense that this turn doesnt have an advisory speed sign if you say you were struggling to take it at 70km/h.

in my experience, these advisory signs definietly suggest a speed that makes it capable for less capable drivers to take the corner safely in less than desireable conditions....

i dont think im Michael Schumacher, but i rarely take the turns at the advised speed, and i dont have any trouble.....and my car isnt a rally bred focus
Old 09-25-2004, 23:05   #10 (permalink)

lol, rally bred. If only it had the guts to match the grip...(it's an auto CL...)

-Stu :)
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub