Speed and Red light cameras - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2002, 22:19   #1 (permalink)

Speed and Red light cameras

Some more interesting reading from AFP website http://www.afp.gov.au/

Quote:
Speed and Red Light Cameras
The Speed and Red Light Cameras used in the ACT, are operated by staff from the Department of Urban Services, on behalf of the Chief Police Officer of the ACT.

Speed cameras
The speed cameras used in the ACT are laser operated speed measuring devices that are extremely accurate. The speed cameras are certified as being correct at regular intervals, so that certification can be produced in any subsequent Court matters. The speed cameras are only able to target one vehicle at a time.

Red light cameras
The red light cameras in the ACT can detect whether a vehicle has driven through a red light as well as detecting the speed of a vehicle. The cameras are not laser operated, as the cameras react to sensors that are located under the roads surface.

The red light camera takes an automatic image of the vehicle when the traffic lights turn red (whether a car is present or not). If a vehicle triggers the camera, a series of photographs are taken of the vehicle. A series of photo images of the vehicle are saved, displaying the location of the vehicle at the red traffic lights and the progression of the vehicle through the intersection.

In addition, the image displays the length of time between the light turning red and the vehicle tripping the sensor.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2002, 22:21   #2 (permalink)

Read more stuff

Quote:
Laser LTI 20-20
The laser LTI 20-20 instrument is the latest innovation in speed detection equipment.

The laser can only be used if the police officer is stationary and standing at the side of the road, and the laser sighting scope is facing oncoming traffic.

When the trigger is squeezed, the instrument emits 60 pulses of infrared light in less than one-third of a second in a very narrow beam towards the sighted vehicle. The pulses strike the target vehicle and are reflected back to the laser.

The distance to the vehicle and its speed are then calculated automatically by measuring the difference in the time it took for the pulses to leave and return.

Radar
Two models of custom radar are currently used in police vehicles as speed monitoring devices in the ACT.

Radar models include
'KR10'
'Kustom Silver Eagle'
Radar units can be used in any police vehicle with a certified speedometer, and can be utilised when the police vehicle is both stationary or mobile.

The two components of a radar unit are the 'head', which is normally affixed outside the vehicle, and the computer/display panel, which is mounted inside the vehicle where it can be monitored by the radar operator.

The display screen shows the operator the speed that the police vehicle is traveling (when mobile ) and the speed of the oncoming vehicle.

Slant Radar
Currently there is one slant radar model used in the ACT - the 'AWA'. The 'AWA' can be used only in a stationary radar setup.

The radar unit is positioned so that the beam of the radar crosses the path of oncoming traffic.

The radar operator sits behind the radar unit and when a vehicle that is exceeding the speed limit crosses through the beam, the speed is locked on the radar and visually identified by the radar operator.

The radar operator identifies the offending vehicle to police further down the road. The police then stop the vehicle and at their discretion, issue a traffic infringement notice.

Slant radar is utilised primarily for high volume traffic areas during speed reduction campaigns such as 'Back to School', as well as Christmas and Easter campaigns.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 03:04   #3 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Someone close to me just got a ticket for 79 on Melrose Drive (60 zone). I was hoping it was radar, but laser will be hard to fight.

I wonder how much money they make booking EVERYONE on that stretch of Melrose drive???

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 04:20   #4 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
I wonder how much money they make booking EVERYONE on that stretch of Melrose drive???
They scored $120 outta me back in '93. 84 in a 60 zone. Shit thing is they increased the limit on that section to 80 about a year later..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 01:14   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete

Which bit? The bloody kodak vans are always parked out the front of work. Really cramps your style when you're testing a 200sx or a Golf GTi!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub