Speeders! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2003, 05:05   #1 (permalink)

Speeders!

FACT: If you are travelling at 70km/h and something occurs in front of you, your vehicle will travel about the distance across one average size home before your can mentally put your foot down on the brake. Scary to think that you travel such a distance and it is not physically or mentally possible to have any control over of that duration. Too bad if a dog was in the middle of the road.

Sure, good brakes can improve stopping time, but some people forget about reaction time. The time it takes people to realise that they need to put on the brakes.

Unless you have a Mercedes S Class vehicle which uses a computer to apply brakes when something comes out in front of you, then your vehicle is almost out of your control over a very large distance.

Your reaction time will always be the same, but the faster you are going, the more distance you will travel before you can put your foot on the brake.

If you are travelling at 10km/h over the speed limit and a car in front of you decides to stop or any animal goes across the road, there is no possible way to apply the brakes and stop without hitting the vehicle or animal in front. I hope this is a wakeup call to all the speeders. Regardless of what people think of speeding punishments, the speed limits are there for safety.

I do acknowledge that numerious associations take advantage of the money involved in speeding fines. However, road laws are designed to protect the safety of ourselves and others. In many situations, people drink and drive without any incidents occuring, but other motorists have a right to use a safe road system. Some accidents cannot be avoided as a result of human error, but if someone cannot distinguish the correct reasons for speeding fines and limits, then they are putting many people in danger.

There are some exceptions, but there is generally no reason to continually speed. It simply becomes a habit which never stops until something tragic occures. I personally, dont want to see another fellow friend and student scraped off the road like I did at the beginning of this year. He wasnt wearing his helmet and did not see the car coming towards him. The outcome although, was that if the driver had been going slower she could have stopped faster. Her vehicle probably to your suprise, was a BA XR6.
Razza16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2003, 05:09   #2 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

Well, What about when you can see for lets say, 500metres ahead, or even 3km ahead, its a treeless road with no traffic?
Old 03-10-2003, 05:14   #3 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Originally posted by ED Manual
Well, What about when you can see for lets say, 500metres ahead, or even 3km ahead, its a treeless road with no traffic?
They only have them in the NT. That's why they don't have speed limits :)
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:18   #4 (permalink)

What if there was something on the road which you didnt see because of all that bland scenery, where everything begins to look the same. A pot hole mabe? Takes you by surpise, and you loose control of the steering wheel. When it comes time to brake because you are out of control, you will regret not travelling at a safe speed, so you didnt have to skid and spin as much because of your speed. Why did you even start getting hypothetical.
Razza16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 13:27   #5 (permalink)

Re: Speeders!

Quote:
Originally posted by Razza16
If you are travelling at 10km/h over the speed limit and a car in front of you decides to stop or any animal goes across the road, there is no possible way to apply the brakes and stop without hitting the vehicle or animal in front.
If the car is in front of you, either they are speeding also or you are catching them quick. Either way, if you use the correct safe following distance, then you should be able to stop. If you are right up their arse you are probably going to hit them if you are speeding or not. The actual speed limit is not relevant in this case, as the results may be the same if the car in front is doing 15km/h under the limit.
(Sorry about your friend, but the issue is not quite as simple as they would have us believe.)
Old 03-10-2003, 15:43   #6 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

There's driving to suit the conditions, and speeding. The laughably named "speed limit" is obtained merely through a concoction of highly questionable statistics and even more questionable motives.

What I find rather amusing (if it wasn't so mind-numbingly stupid), is how all this anti-speeding Nazi-ism falls down with something as simple as a drop in a posted speed limit. eg. a local road has been signposted at 70kph for 20 years. The road has not changed, is in better condition than it has ever been, and no additional housing or buildings have gone up alongside it. A decision is made and the posted limit drops to 60kph. What does this mean? All of a sudden, without any change in conditions over a 20 year period, that you are a criminal for driving at the "old" limit? The height of hypocrisy and stupidity. I challenge anyone to defend the action taken in this example.

For me, speeding is exceeding the safety margin of the prevailing conditions, not simply a matter of surpassing a stupidly defined constant.
Old 03-10-2003, 16:17   #7 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

This thread was started by a statement regurgitated by people who have no understanding of human factors and by inference the abilities of a driver.

My argument is this. If you have to panic brake and use said reaction time to avoid killing yourself or others you are a BAD driver. Looking ahead and scanning the road allows me (as a trained Smith System Five Keys driver) to start slowing down even before the car in front of me does. This very training has reduced accidents significantly in companies that have adopted it (a ten fold reduction even after speed limiters were introduced). What does that tell you?

Look, if we use the white line braking reaction theory you are right. However it ignores the very fact that it is better to train drivers to avoid these situations BEFORE they occur.

Which is my argument, that of many industry leaders (e.g. Peter Brock and many car manufacturers).

So, reaction time is for fools because a good driver has already seen the problem.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 17:18   #8 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

that is the best thing Ive read in ages......speed limits are also there for people that have MINIMAL skill levels.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 17:40   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Aussie Pete has said it!

Drive according to the conditions. If you are paying attention, you should have been aware of the impending danger long before you come up on it. So many times you see people that have had nose to tails - why? Because they are only looking at the car in front of them. It is irrelevant what speed they were travelling at when they have habits like that, simple. An accident will always happen. Unfortunately, these idiots are the reason for our antiquated traffic rules.

When is travelling 80 km/hr in an 80km/hr zone speeding?? When it is pissing down with rain and it is unsafe to do so! That is when the police should really be doing their jobs - policing idiots.

Razza 16, you have some narrow minded views on speeding. Who has the least amount of fatalities in any holiday season?? Usually the NT with unrestricted speed limits - where you can drive at a pace YOU feel comfortable. I know I am more alert when I am having some fun..........
Turbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 17:40   #10 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

In a perfect world only people with advanced driver training & well maintained cars would be allowed on the roads, but no government would ever have the balls to bring it in.

Their only option is to slow everyone down regarless of skill level.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub