Speeding fine trouble! Warning! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2004, 12:44   #1 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Speeding fine trouble! Warning!

Just thought I would warn people what has happened to me with a speeding fine.

My rego is up for renewal and I got a letter in the post saying Transport SA would not process it until I pay a "court imposed penalty". I didnt know what they meant so I rang the Magistrates Court as instructed on the letter.

They informed me that I got a speeding fine with a camera in the beast a year ago. I said I never got it. They told me the address it was sent to and it was an old address from years back (when I didnt even have a car registered in my name). Apparently all the reminder notices went there too, so I never got them.

So, the fine went to court without my knowledge and I was lumped with the fine and court fees and I was told by the Court they were about to issue a warrant! They faxed me a form to fill out, get witnessed and send back to swear that I had never gotten the fine, etc and they would then wipe the court fees, send it back to Transport SA and they would reissue the fine and I would get the usual 60 days or whatever. They suggested I contact Trasnport SA.

I did, and asked what address they had down for me.... they had the correct one. I told them what happened and they said that at that time, they had the correct address then too. I asked what could have happened.

I was told that Transport SA only supply the police with the details, they issue the fine. And that the police get updated address details every 24 hours. I asked what could have happened then, I was told that who knows what the police do and how they issue the fines - Transport SA had no clue.

I am gonna contact the police to find out what happened and I am gonna complain. Someone also suggested I should argue that I should not pay the fine on the basis that I cannot remember whether or not I was driving the car at that time that long ago since it was their fault I was not issued it in a reasonable time!

In any case, if you think you go through a camera and are gone, and then wonder why you never got the fine and think you are lucky, you may not be - if you have ever changed addresses.

I was also told that this happens quite regularly! Scary! I could have had the warrant out on me, been pulled over for a breath test and then been arrested or something! Not having any idea what was going on!

I will update this when I find out more about what happened!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 13:16   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: Speeding fine trouble! Warning!

Ouch...
Old 05-14-2004, 13:33   #3 (permalink)
known as tibbo

I've seen this happens heaps in Qld too.. I've had drivers waiting for the infringement notices to come to me (redgo in business name and then i stat dec the drivers current details on the back, get them witnessed by a JP and return them for re-issue) ..Well i dont bulls**t them, if they get a fine i show them and tell them it will be in the mail and they will probably get the nasty in 4-6 weeks.. The amount of times the drivers come back to me asking if i had sent it back yet, what address i gave them etc., is nearly uncountable.. The fines never turn up at the drivers place, i dont pay the fine so you know it is floating around somewhere..
Don't they get a nice surprise when 12 months down the track, with random dealings with the police, maybe in a breath test etc, they get asked to pay the outstanding fine+costs immediately or jump in the back of the squad car as they have warrants outstanding and it is the polices job to arrest them until the matter is sorted out with S.P.U.R.S<--some sort of Government collection agency here in QLd..

The strange thing is that QLD Transport have the correct address, the police verify the address on the spot yet issue the fines to their last residence, regardless of how long since they have moved

It is a flawed system and 'most' police seem good about it and let the drivers fix it up ASAp but not the 3 times i've been woken in the middle of the night to go and pick my car up as the driver has been arrested...
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 17:00   #4 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Doesnt surprise me from the Adelaide Police at all

Good luck !

Chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 19:08   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Man! You could be out on a hot date and get arrested out of the blue! That probably wouldnt go down well at all!
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:53   #6 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Thats pathetic.
How do they make such stupid balls ups..... Scary...
Imagine your out driving along and they pull you up.
If you had a warrent you would have been chucked in the slammer for a night....F$%king bullshit.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:31   #7 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Tell me about it - that's what I was worried about - getting pulled over for a breath test or something and they check your details (they do, coz Mum and Dad used to always listen on the scanner) and then get locked up!!!! The only reason I got my rego renewal papers with the notice about the "court imposed penalty" was because someone I knew from where I lived back then found the letter floating in the gutter down their street, totally drenched, and took the trouble to find me! If it was not for them, I would have tried to renew my rego and they would not have processed it and I would have been unregistered for who knows how long!!!!!

I dont have a problem with the police as a whole - they do their jobs etc, but perhaps it is their systems or something - and to me it just generates more distrust in the whole speed camera concept - they are arguably inaccurate, the motives are questionable, the success they achieve is related only to the money they raise, not reducing the road toll and now the system is not even administered fairly. Being told I was caught speeding so long after the event, I have no idea whether or not I was actually driving my car at the time because for a while (around that time) I broke my foot and couldnt drive the manual - so others were driving it.....but it could have been anyone!

At the end of the day, it is going to make me a lot more careful about checking when I think I have been caught because the last thing I need is to be dragged off to the cells for a night with two small kids for something I may or may not have done a year ago which I was not notified about....And in my profession, an arrest on my record is not something that is considered acceptable - whether it may be "expunged" or not - we all know that is not the case anyway - it would always be there.

It makes me wonder what they think they are doing and it also reminds me of a time a while back when the cops totally ignored me when I needed help.... I was stuck, broken down in my Sigma, halfway up Flagstaff Hill Road (for those in SA, they may know it). It is a very steep road, double lanes (well 3 lanes which switch) and nowhere to pull over. I was halfway up, the car was stuffed, it was 40 degrees that day, I had a 3 year old daughter and I was 9 months pregnant at the time. There are no houses anywhere near and my hubby at the time was at work, and had the mobile, as well as the stroller for my daughter. I had the bonnet up and was blocking off a whole lane of traffic and I was trying to work on the engine but the thing was dead. I saw a cop car coming up in the next lane and tried to wave them down. I was within 5m of them, max. They saw me and just looked and kept going. I thought they might turn around and come back, and they didnt.

So I carried my daughter about 500m up this hill, with cars buzzing around us (no footpath, nowhere to walk) to find a house to ring the RAA and my ex. I was really crook coz I had been out in the heat for hours and walking up the hill with my daughter - we had no water and were pretty dehydrated. I went into hospital that arvo and stayed there for a couple of weeks coz my blood pressure was so high. I put a complaint into the cops and in the end, those cops just denied they were ever there at that time and I was made to feel like I was a full on whiner.

Oh well, another complaint coming their way!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 05-15-2004, 09:08   #8 (permalink)
BEER I NEED BEER

in one of my fines i got told by the cop i accelerated well up to 170 but ill only book you for 150. mad copper then he was asking me about my wheels and complementing me on stuff. that was in my 180sx but
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:28   #9 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie
in one of my fines i got told by the cop i accelerated well up to 170 but ill only book you for 150. mad copper then he was asking me about my wheels and complementing me on stuff. that was in my 180sx but
Obviously that was a 110 zone? Surely that is a loss of license?
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 05-15-2004, 12:20   #10 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Just maek sure that when state elections come you vote for anyone BUT Bracks, Carr or whoever is at the top in ur particular state. Its highway robbery dammit!

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub