Sports IRS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2002, 05:52   #1 (permalink)

Question Sports IRS

It has been written that the new Control Blade suspension allows separate tuning of ride and handling, ie there needs to be no sacrifice of either.

Why then, have we still got the "normal" suspension and the "sports" one? You could have both a plush ride and sports handling across the range.

I doubt the extra cost of the sports suspension is due to extra time and effort required for tuning....

Any thoughts?
edchung2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2002, 05:59   #2 (permalink)

Well the tuning is probably only within a range of settings according to the chosen spring rates. So you can have std springs which are very comfortable but offer a degree of sportiness. Or you can have sports springs which are not uncomfortable although not as smooth as the std ones. My interpretation.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 06:05   #3 (permalink)
Qld xr club member

I sometimes wonder what the real cost difference is. It couldn't be much. Simular amounts of nuts, bolts, rubber, steel etc
2002 s3 xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 06:07   #4 (permalink)

There has to become a point when one (handling vs ride) contradicts the other, hence the need for a different starting preference or bias.

I would say each version would be set up with different scope limitations e.g. you can tune the 'normal' IRS to a sport-style ride or a very soft one and alternatively you can tune the 'sports' IRS to a very firm performance ride or a reasonable comfortable one for a sports sedan that is.

Confused?. I am..lol
Old 09-18-2002, 06:10   #5 (permalink)

My guess is you are probably paying the extra for better technology and development costs.

Take two computors for example, one can significantly out perform the other but if you break either computor down to there base elements they both only contain about $0.45c worth of plastic.

Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 06:44   #6 (permalink)

It probably is just another excuse for Ford to charge more; in the form of another options box to tick.
edchung2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 07:15   #7 (permalink)

Sounds like good business to me and if it wasn't for good business by ford or any other maker we would'nt have these cars to talk about.
Old 09-18-2002, 18:15   #8 (permalink)
ford butcher and baker

The sports irs possibly has better shock absorbers in it, maybe a sway-bar? It would be nice if it has adjustable spring seats to modify the ride height and spring preload but that is probably too much to ask.
Old 09-18-2002, 18:42   #9 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Personally, I see it like this:

Firm Sports Ride -------------Medium-------------Comfy Limo Ride

Basically the more sporty the ride the less limo like it gets - handling changes.

I guess by them saying that control blade has a wider range of settings means that the above is for Control Blade IRS, and below is for the AU IRS:

FSR-----MED----CLR

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub

« Barra Pricing | Xr8 »