Sprint or XR6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2003, 06:03   #1 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

Sprint or XR6

Hi evry1, i need help on deciding to go 6 ot 8. im looking at buying a xr8 sprint or ef-el xr6. a few questions-
1) should i go V8 or I6
2) which would be easiest and cheapest ( &how much) to modify to rounda bout 250fwkw

any thoughts to help my decision would be greatly apreciated. thanx
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2003, 08:41   #2 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Re: Sprint or XR6

Well, the 302 is US made, so you can buy lots of anything imaginable for them, but they cost a fair bit. The 6 is aussie, and apart from Jim Mock, there's not much aftermarket for them, so most parts have to be custom made. But you can always turbo the 6 fairly easily.....
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 09:04   #3 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Me personally, I'd buy the EF-EL I6.
The Sprints are decent enough cars and some like the exclusiveness, but I personally feel they are nothing more than an XR8 with a little more power.

Reality is, the EF-EL I6 with a decent exhaust and extractors will stay with the sprint. Add a cam and it will hose a Sprint.
And get much better fuel economy.

For 250kw, JMM claim those kind of numbers from there top packages, the package I have from them came pretty close to there claimed numbers.
If you don't trust those packages, a turbo will easily see 250kw, and then some. But you will be paying.....

The EF-EL series were much better cars than the EA-EB-ED series too, regardless of which engine is fitted.

Rick.

Last edited by Soxx; 08-23-2003 at 09:07.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 06:26   #4 (permalink)
methanol injected clevo

each to their own.... i would rather go the sprint for:

far superior handling (i'd go as far to say my sprint handles nicer than my mum's EL GT, breaking the sprint is no match lol).

i would say the 302 windsor has MUCH greater potential to the I6 (NA speaking of course).

the sprint has as factory fitment a cobra manifold, 24lb SVO injectors, GT40 heads, crane race series 1.7 RR's and weigh only 1580kg. Have you seen the aftermarket parts available for the 302 Windsor - especially in the US!

mine is relatively bog stock and is side by side a VR GTS 5.7 litre 6speed thats done a 14.1 - All i've done is timing, k&n, pacemakers and 3.45s.

not one NA I6 E-series falcon i have raced has come close in a race.... even on the dyno - a EL XR6 would pull 165 @ the treads, mine makes 225 - and weighs less...

i will say however that the EL's are in my opinion the best designed and manufactured falcon to date - excellent build quality and very reliable.

I personally suggest you ditch the whole tickford idea, and buy a EL half the cost of a sprint or XR6 and drop in a XR6-T donk.

Then you get reliability, a relatively new car and something almost unbeatable down the 1/4. You dont pay through the nose for the tickford wings which is not all that bad because you're simply paying extra for the badge, a cam, a very mild tune improvement and a slightly improved suspenion.

Not to mention insurance companies will eat you alive (my sprint is $2600 a year to insure, hence why its time for her to go).

hope my ramblings shed some light on your dilemma

shaneo

1981 XD Ex-Interceptor - 393C, AFD 4Vs, Methanol Injection, Powerglide

1994 ED XR8 Sprint - 347W, 5-speed, 3.9s

http://hi-performance.net
xr8_sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 20:28   #5 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

No option

V8.

If you can get your hands on a XR8 Sprint do it, they'll be worth more. They are 195kw (200 advertised) where the I6 is 164..
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 23:10   #6 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

theres two more reasons to buy a sprint over a XR6..

Previous ride: EBII V8 Manual Ghia spring roll.
Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
jmartion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 23:17   #7 (permalink)
methanol injected clevo

simply drive both cars and see which one you prefer.... at the end of the day its you that has to drive the thing...

shane

1981 XD Ex-Interceptor - 393C, AFD 4Vs, Methanol Injection, Powerglide

1994 ED XR8 Sprint - 347W, 5-speed, 3.9s

http://hi-performance.net
xr8_sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 23:32   #8 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

There is also the fact that you drive and old E-series or and even older E-series...

I personally don't want to own another E-series but thats me, i get spoilt with being able to drive much better cars and the ole E-series ain't much chop.

However I am not rich so I'll end up with another one and I'd go for the EL, newer, cheaper (in everyway) and no one bags you out in a EL XR6 -everyone loves them, including Holden fans.

Also sprints are awesome but seriously, if you never going to beat a Gen3 then whats the point. You'll always get bagged at having a slow V8 unless you spend big $$'s, in which case you could look for a different more expensive car again. At least with a six you don't have to compete with V8s but you'll generally hose every other six out there (unless it is force fed but that doesn't count).

Ofcourse you could ignore my ramblings and do what ever you want. :s6:
Old 08-26-2003, 00:02   #9 (permalink)
Serving Defect #3

I would go the V8, sounds better, and the low down torque of the windsor is awesome for driveability.

The 6 is ok, it's just missing two cylinders....

And I found i was always ringing it's neck to get any performance.

As stated drive em both and see which one u prefer
fordfan351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 04:48   #10 (permalink)
goooone

The Sprint should hold it's resale better I think. Also it will be faster & have a lot more potential for gains plus it's cool having something a little less ordinary.
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub