Starting a new business: Which marketing techniques? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2003, 06:59   #1 (permalink)
P1mp Daddy

cool Starting a new business: Which marketing techniques?

Hi all,

Just wanted to make this thread, perhaps something everyone could take something from, maybe even encourage other people into taking some steps to working for themselves.

Recently ive decided to run my own business, Complete Tech Solutions. Im gonna do on-site computer service and support. Offer tutition and stuff. Been doing it free for many years for friends and familyand also working on the help desk at an isp for a year, thought i might as well try and make a uni income from it.

It's been hard work so far, but i can definately say that it is a rewarding feeling, that all the effort that you put in, relates back to your own sucess. It took a kick in the nuts from a friend to get me started, and ive thanked him ever since.

If anyone is thinking about setting up there own show..these are the costs so far. Im not including any tools ive brought (spent around $300 so far)

1. ABN - free from the ATO
2. Registered Business Name - $70 (down on flinders st in melb)
3. Bank account - $30 (Westpac, fee for the business name search)
4. Invoice books / Log Book / appointment books - $50
5. PO BOX - $60 p/y
6. Business cards - $60 for 250, got them online
7. domain name - $85 for 2 years
8. hosting - i pay 83 per year

Im lucky, ive got a bookeeper (friend of the family) doing my books at the moment. Its a huge load off me, cos that stuff just fries me.

At this point, word of mouth is going to be the biggest asset that i'm going to have. At the moment, im planning a mass bombardment of the local area, with posters, and business card holders at any shops that'll let me.

Im also going to do a leaflet drop. Basically b & w print on coloured paper. With the laser printer its pretty cheap... works out to be 4 cents per leaflet. Im hoping for a response rate of around 1 in 40 homes.

So anyone running a small business, what ideas and techniques have you guys used in the past to generate interest ?

Cheers

Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2003, 13:53   #2 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Re: Starting a new business: Which marketing techniques?

First of all, good on you for having the gonads to jump into small business! I wish you all the best!

In my experience with this kind of small business, large ads in the local papers is a great start, and make sure you keep them regular and updated. People WILL notice. Leaflets are a bit of a gamble, as most people tend to discard "junk mail" pretty quick these days. If you went this way, you'd have more success if you spent a lot more and made it a bit more "special", like a nice colour business card or magnet or something that they will want to keep handy (or at least not throw out straight away).

IMO it's probably best not to strike too far ahead of yourself before trying a few avenues of advertising and seeing where the better results are coming from. By all means don't stop planning and thinking about things though!!
Old 11-10-2003, 15:38   #3 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sparkle
First of all, good on you for having the gonads to jump into small business! I wish you all the best!

In my experience with this kind of small business, large ads in the local papers is a great start, and make sure you keep them regular and updated. People WILL notice. Leaflets are a bit of a gamble, as most people tend to discard "junk mail" pretty quick these days. If you went this way, you'd have more success if you spent a lot more and made it a bit more "special", like a nice colour business card or magnet or something that they will want to keep handy (or at least not throw out straight away).

IMO it's probably best not to strike too far ahead of yourself before trying a few avenues of advertising and seeing where the better results are coming from. By all means don't stop planning and thinking about things though!!

You beat me to it Mr Sparkles

I run my own part time hairdressing business. I have found the best form of advertising is in the local paper to get you started. Then its all word of mouth when you deliver what you advertise in a proffesional manner.

It may be a bit dificult in your line of work but I also find a "Monthly Special" does wonders....... I have a running ad in our local paper/newsletter & I change my specials.

While I'm not making millions ( Hairdressers are the most poorly paid workers ever ;( ) I find it is still worth my while and keeps me busy.

I also find that being a little cheaper than the competition goes a long way. You will find you will make more money using this technique than having higher prices.

Good Luck in your adventure

:fairy

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 15:48   #4 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sparkle
If you went this way, you'd have more success if you spent a lot more and made it a bit more "special", like a nice colour business card or magnet or something that they will want to keep handy (or at least not throw out straight away).
"Buiness Card Stickers" are always a good way to go - that way, people can either use it like a normal business card (ie lose it), or stick it on their fridge, computer etc.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:01   #5 (permalink)

Go for it ...

Even if it gose arse up its still a learning experiance ...

Dealing with the public can be a bitch , but they do feed you $$$$ when they want to.

Best form of advertisement is word of mouth.

my wife works part time in a computer repair shop as , just for fun really of cos she gets paid ...

Supplers will try and get the best of you but stay presitant.

i used magnectic cards with my thing...Clear and bright wins every time..

I did lawn mowing yard clean ups for a few years until public lieabilty insurance went through the roof. but thats the way it gose.

never herts to keep on learning ,, good for you ..

regards tim

Last edited by slothman; 11-11-2003 at 11:01.
slothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub