state inspections - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2001, 05:46   #1 (permalink)
Mod/Multicar Member

state inspections

i'm an inspection tech in massachusetts. i was wondering what eveyone els has to go through in there state to get a inspection sticker. here we have to pass an emision test every other year (83 and older are exempt from emisions) and saftey every year. mass started running the cars on a dyno two years ago. does any one els have to have there cars run on a dyno?
82f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2001, 06:07   #2 (permalink)
Multi Car Owner

DYNO, never heard that before. here in Middle TN, NASHVILLE area, they test any car 75 or older. They jsut check for cats (visual) test the exhaust and the gas cap. Otherwise they do not pop the hood or anything. Go out to a rural county and they do nothing!
Marqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 09:24   #3 (permalink)

Our inspections are every year, but only for Metro Atlanta. The rest of the state doesn't get inspected. Some shops use the dyno but most don't. It's $25.00 and it goes back 20yrs. It was every other year and went back 10yrs, but the EPA got on to Georgia and threaten to take away Federal funds for roads. Actualy I think it's a bunch of BS. Just another expensive tax, a tax on air. The state doesn't check brakes, tires, turn signals, etc. etc. Just your emissions, thats one of several reasons why I think it's BS.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 18:17   #4 (permalink)
Moderator / Probe

We have the Dyno thing here in NY too. Emission laws are pretty strick here. Guess with all the traffic we have and all. :(
www.nepoprobes.com
Tang Pgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 21:35   #5 (permalink)
Ranchero Member

frown

Arizona is pretty screwed up. There are no safety inspections - something I think we can all agree is needed, at least to some extent (some of the vehicles around here are pretty scary:eek: ) - but those living in selected areas must pass emissions testing.:(

For those living or working in Pima county (Tucson area), a yearly emissions test is required for all vehicles 1967 and newer. 1981(?) and newer vehicles must pass an "idle" and "cruise" test, while 1980 and older are only required to pass the idle test. A "visual" inspection is also done to ensure all the original emissions cra...uh, equipment is intact. They also break - oops, I mean check your gas cap to make sure it seals properly (they screwed mine up...bunch of incompetent :censored:).:fmad:

For those in Maricopa county (Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale/etc), the testing is different. From what I understand, they undergo a dyno test that "simulates" normal driving. Because the test is so involved, it is required every two years. I'm pretty sure they do the visual and gas cap checks there as well.

The rest of the state is exempt from emissions testing. We used to be able to get around the testing by having a PO box in an exempt county, but a physical address is now required.:(
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 19:57   #6 (permalink)
Crown Vic P71 Member

roll Oh God!!!!

North Carolina has State Inspections Every Year!!!...In 5 of the largest counties ,which I'm in the Largest !! , We have the annual Sniffer test....We also pay double what the other 95 smaller counties pay for this service....Right now the annual fee is $20...The state senate currently has a bill on the floor about raising the fee to $34......Needless to say I'm not remotely pleased with this possibility. I have Two Ex-Police Crown Victorias ...Both have Tinted Glass all the way around....That little Luxury Item also costs an extra $10 per car at Inspection time. I have a friend that runs an Inspection Station....The little Gizmo to check the Legal Tint levels cost him $400 per unit......You can see what a money maker that is!!!....He smiles every time a car or truck with Tinted Glass rolls in!!!.......We have a Legal Tint Level that cannot exceed 37%..........Allen
Old 06-13-2001, 21:11   #7 (permalink)
P71Times2

I am in extreme SE KS right now.

No vehicles are required to have sniffer tests, emission tests, or equipment tests. Same with our Harleys and other bikes, no equipment, noise, or helmets laws.

Your vehicle registration is sent to you in the mail each year. You pay the annual fee, show proof of current insurance, and pick up your new sticker good for the next twelve months.

Makes it very easy to modify cars here, especially when there are no emission or equipment checks. :D
Old 06-13-2001, 23:58   #8 (permalink)
Crown Vic P71 Member

Dog Gone You!!!

JW...You make me so mad I can't even see straight!!!.....I feel like I'm under a Dictatorship or something!!!....N.C. is getting very hard core about things.....California rules across the board are not far away!!!!..........Allen
Old 06-14-2001, 15:41   #9 (permalink)
P71Times2

Allen, well, I do feel bad about having no emission or equipment requirements, in fact, I have thought about move a few miles to the east, over in Missouri where they have strict laws, but you know how it is :D

As you know, I'd never be able to drop that stroked 460 engine in my spare '97 CVPI and legally drive it on the road in a State with strict emission/equipment laws..

Hey, also saw where they were FINALLY going to start painting on your car.. Bet that made you feel alot better...
Old 06-26-2001, 11:01   #10 (permalink)
Big Daddy

California is easy.. Just a smog inspection.. they don't really car if the car is one big ball of rust on 4 tires.. as long as the motor runs good..

the rest the cops will pull you over and give fix it tickets for.. I guess it makes more money that way.
Part of the Andy's Autosports BAPOC Design Crew

Evil in training..
FLARE!!! do you know where it is??
tony95pgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub