Stayin' Alive - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2004, 08:40   #1 (permalink)

Stayin' Alive

We all get tired behind the wheel. Late nights, noisy neighbours, dogs barking at night while you are trying to sleep- etc etc will make it hard to stay wide awake when you got a long drive (or even a relatively short one) the next day.

Apart from pulling over and having a snooze, one method that I use occasionally is a product called "No Doze".

If I suspect I will be drowsy during a lengthy journey I 'pop' a No Doze with a cup of coffee about 30 mins before I head off. (I keep a pack in the glovebox) This definitely helps to keep you alert for at least a couple of hours and helps prevents nodding off at the wheel.

This can also be affective during the journey, but stop for a coffee as well so it has time to take effect.

Nothing is better than a good nights sleep and I don't neccesarily condone
drug taking but taking the occasional 'no doze' is better than hitting something as you go to sleep at the wheel. I speak from experience of having driven over 1 million kilometres in my 27 yrs driving and having had several scary experiences nodding off at the wheel.

Chemists can be helpful with advice (or your doctor)

Any tips/thoughts?
s_pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004, 08:50   #2 (permalink)
falcon amazing

Re: Stayin' Alive

Very interesting for starters, good too see that you think about these sort of things. I mean we all do, but its a topic i havent seen here before! pardon my ignorance if it has been on here!

I work 12 hour days when i work, so by the end of the shift i am rooted. I usually get put all over town, and am half asleep when driving home.

Heres a few things i do when i get stuck driving tired-

Wind my window down

Turn up the cd player

Talk to some one on my phone (using hands free)

Drink water, or put some cold water over your eyes or your hair

Try stay focused no matter what -

Cheers,

Rob.
SLY_GLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 22:09   #3 (permalink)
Yes, fords still kick

I used to love no doze when I was a teenager and was going out 5 or 6 nights a week. I shudder to think what I put my body through back then. Isn't there some rumour about crushed down sudafed being quite effective at keeping truckies and medical students etc. awake during a long haul or an all night study session?
Old 05-18-2004, 05:55   #4 (permalink)
In Pursuit of excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordskick
I used to love no doze when I was a teenager and was going out 5 or 6 nights a week. I shudder to think what I put my body through back then. Isn't there some rumour about crushed down sudafed being quite effective at keeping truckies and medical students etc. awake during a long haul or an all night study session?
It's not exactly crushed down Sudafed, it is reprocessed to get the ephedrine out of them.
Some drivers used to take prescription dietary pills such as Tenuate Dospan(briquettes) or Duromine, which you knew that they were clean and relatively legal. But it is hard to get dodgy prescriptions for those now.
Some longhaul drivers still take "speed", but you dont know what it is made of or what it is cut with.
The best thing is sleep, if you are tired you sleep, simple as that.
No job or schedule is more important than your life, thats why i gave up interstate years ago.
BA Pursuit, Blueprint,Silver stripes, Prestige sound, Leather, Sports s/wheel
cams290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:03   #5 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Someone once told me that they knew someone that made sure they kept their bladder full that kept them awake as they had to go for a slash and they tried not too

Chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub