Stick with Dunlop??? Not at these prices... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2004, 21:12   #1 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Stick with Dunlop??? Not at these prices...

Well, after 40,000km the SP Sport 9000ís on the XR are just about cactus. So Iíve been ringing around in the last few days looking for replacements.

After having a favourable previous experience with the brand, and based on the results from the 18Ē tyre test done last year by Wheels Magazine, Iíve been looking at going back to the Hankook Ventus Sport K104.

But I thought Iíd at least ask about the price of the Dunlops. The tyre size is 245/40 ZR18. Hereís some price shocks for you allÖ.

The Hankook K104 will cost me between $250-$260 each from any JAX tyres outlet. A couple of other places have quoted as low as $235 or as high as $275, but the price has been fairly consistant.

Now remember that this is the tyre that came equal 1st in the Wheels Tyre Test.

With the Dunlops on the other hand, the cheapest quote was $490, the most common was $530 and the HIGHEST (from a particular Beaurepairs branch in the Western suburbs of Sydney that shall remain nameless) was $890

And this is the tyre thatís Ford OEM and came 8th in the test.

While I donít want to start the tyre debate again, I think Iíll go with the tyre that Wheels thinks is twice as good and tyre dealers will sell me twice as cheapÖ

Stick with Dunlop???? Not at those pricesÖ.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2004, 21:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: Stick with Dunlop??? Not at these prices...

JR, the prices aren't to bad, the tyres i'm getting for the GT are Dunlop SP9000's 245/35R19's @$570 each and the rears are 285/30R19's @ $685 each. But how in hell did the person get a number like $890 for a 245/40R18 tyre ??? unless that was for 2 of them !

My Car
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 21:36   #3 (permalink)

I dont know if i would go with Hankook because they seem to be a cheap brand especially if you've got a BA XR.i would probably look at the Yokohamas at around the $400 a very good performance tyre remember it pays to go for a better quality in the long run than going for the cheapest.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 21:47   #4 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

If someone could prove to me that the Dunlop WAS a better quality tyre than the Hankook then I might agree with you.

But the simple fact is this preconception that a Hankook or a Kumho is an inferior tyre to a Bridgestone or a Dunlop or a Yokahama etc... just because they're made in Korea is so much bullshit.

Both the Korean brands (and Falken for that matter) have been creaming the big name oposition in these type of magazine tests for the last couple of years, and the only reason this isn't bigger news is that the tyres they're beating are made by substantial advertisers in these publications.

Price is certainly not the only factor I look at when I buy tyres, but when I pay twice as much for a tyre I want it to be BETTER than the cheaper competition in independent testing - clearly, the Ford and Holden OEM tyres are unable to do this.

Simple fact is the Dunlops are WAY overpriced - having in fact INCREASED in price in the last 12 months despite the fact that the sales of XR's with 18" rims have helped them become a much more common tyre on the market.

I'm all for supporting a company that charges a premium for a better product, but I'll be damned if I'll spend a penny with a company that's profiteering from a customer base that doesn't know any better.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 22:34   #5 (permalink)
mmmmm....kookyfudge

Well put JR and I agree with your sentiment.

kooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 22:41   #6 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

That's fair enough JR. I totally agree with you. I have dunlop SP9000's 235/45/17 and as I've told you I reckon they aren't a very good tyre. Performance is okay, but I think the compund is just too soft and they don't hold up very well for my driving style.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 22:45   #7 (permalink)
17" is for 4cyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
I dont know if i would go with Hankook because they seem to be a cheap brand especially if you've got a BA XR.i would probably look at the Yokohamas at around the $400 a very good performance tyre remember it pays to go for a better quality in the long run than going for the cheapest.
Cheers John
I have run the Hankook's on my AUXR (19" rims) and it didn't make it any cheaper on ride or grip. I was worried what difference I would feel after running Dunlop's and was pleasantly surprised how good they are in dry and wet conditions.
So I'd sooner pocket the $$$ difference where quality can prevail with a reasonable price.
Old 04-01-2004, 00:04   #8 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

Our family's experiences have consistently found the best quality tyres have been Kumho's. The best set lasted 5 years on our Rocsta. Chances are that's what I'll be getting when the dunnies on mine wear thin.

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 00:43   #9 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
That's fair enough JR. I totally agree with you. I have dunlop SP9000's 235/45/17 and as I've told you I reckon they aren't a very good tyre. Performance is okay, but I think the compund is just too soft and they don't hold up very well for my driving style.
Ha not many tyre's would hold up well to your driving style mate,J.K> but your right they are a very soft tyre but I find them ok,if the price was allright I would buy them again.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 01:14   #10 (permalink)
In Pursuit of excellence

I have found the Dunlop 9000 are great in the wet, on my au2 i put a set of Falken 326's which were the worst tyre i have ever used, i then replaced them with Kumho "ecsta's" which were heaps better than the Falkens but not as good as the Dunlops.
I have seen some people replace their SP 9000's with Dunlop SP 3000's, i don't have any experience with them, but i will look at them when i need to replace mine
BA Pursuit, Blueprint,Silver stripes, Prestige sound, Leather, Sports s/wheel
cams290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub

« ED Xr8 | funny joke »