Street racing is bad, but.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2002, 05:52   #1 (permalink)
Go Nuts in Your Falcon

Street racing is bad, but....

Ok, well i hope i don't get banned from the forum, but my bro had a race in his xr8 220 vs a modded ss 225 on a desserted road up in Ingham Nth Qld. The race was to about (for legal purposes) not much more than 100kms kms an hour.. true though, wasn't much more then that.

Anyway, is it normal for a 220 Xr8 (without any mods but well run in at 19000kms) to flog a manual SS (also well run in at about 30000kms) that has aftermarket ss dual exhaust and new headers?

When my bro hit 2nd gear he just left him in his wake. ouch.

So the flaming begins. It is ok when it is safe isn't it? or is it never safe? :dead: I guess even law students are DH's. hehehe

Paul
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2002, 06:01   #2 (permalink)

aaaaaaaaaaaahahhahahaahaa

well done to your bro...
Old 08-02-2002, 06:17   #3 (permalink)
Yes, I Drive a Holden!

Not wanting to take anything away from your Bro's performance, 'cause "A Win is a Win is a Win", but it sounds to me like the SS driver just couldn't drive for shit.
With drivers of equal ability, an SS with an aftermarket exhaust and headers should convincingly beat a stocky 220kw XR8.
Not bagging the ford, but it would be outgunned for power.
XLR8_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 06:52   #4 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

well i dont know if it is 'normal' for a 220 to beat an SS but thats Very Well Done!!!! give your bro a pat on the back and a cold beer for me!

Gen IIIs are strange engines, some go hardcore and others wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding, and a lot of mods people do actually make the car slower.

i drove an auto SS at work once, bog standard, stomped it off the line and had to lift off then re apply the accelerator several times to get traction, but then a few days later i drove another SS on the same peice of road with the same type of tyres, it had extractors and a big zorst, aftermarket airflow meter, K&N filter etc, couldnt get wheelspin no matter how hard i tried (without using the brake, i didnt want to do a skid, just check acceleration, torque and auto shift points)

so anyway, good on your bro for beating an SS!!!

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:00   #5 (permalink)
Interloper from LS1.com

I can confirm that the LS1s are a temperamental engine. The worst thing I find, is that it runs a low octane and high octane spark table, so what happens is it will be absolutely screaming, then gets a touch of knock for some reason, then goes 'aha - crap gas, no timing for you' and you may as well be driving a Ford
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:51   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

thats not very nice

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 11:09   #7 (permalink)
goooone

what you have to remember is that the LS1s computer will take into account any mods & then reduce its performance to standard unless it has appropriate mods to trick the computer
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 12:03   #8 (permalink)
Yes, I Drive a Holden!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jucy
what you have to remember is that the LS1s computer will take into account any mods & then reduce its performance to standard unless it has appropriate mods to trick the computer
Not entirely correct.... the amount of "power reduction" the PCM puts into effect has been blown out of all proportion. The PCM WILL NOT reduce an LS1 with bolt-ons back to stocky power figures.
The PCM contains Abuse Management tables that come into play and pull timing if the engine/gearbox is given lots of stick for an extended period. Driving normally for a while or performing a PCM reset will reset it back to normal.
Adding headers, cat backs, CAI etc will give you substantial power increases, but the 100% benefit of those mods does not usually come on until the PCM has "learnt" the mods over a short period of time. People have reported "feeling" max power come online after about 100kms.
After adding a CAI + K&N to my car it felt immediately more responsive and revved more freely.... the dyno immediately showed a 4-5rwkw increase with this mod. A short while after, it dynoed at 9rwkw over stock - the PCM had learnt the mods and adjusted the AFR's to fully utilise the better airflow.
Either way, LS1Edit programming is quickly unlocking the full potential of our cars and removing the effects of the Abuse Management tables (pity it doesn't rebuild/strengthen the auto box at the same time :s6: )

Sorry for the rant... I can get carried away sometimes :oo1:
XLR8_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 12:55   #9 (permalink)
goooone

My understanding of the commos computer is that while they'll initially gain power they will over time learn & lose this power the opposite of the EEc which learns mods & maps to suit
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 15:35   #10 (permalink)
Go Nuts in Your Falcon

May I add that my bro is used to driving auto's, and is not very good at driving the xr8. and he still won. to annoy you more, a bloke in Ingham who owns a VT SS 220 is very unhappy with his because his gf's brother with an EB2 6 cylinder auto is just as quick.
General consensus, even to holden lovers in that town is that Gen 3 is not all that great. Maybe it is, but not from the few reports I have heard. Some people are changing to Ford after having a ride in my bro's car.
Hmmmm

P.S, my bro's car is the only xr8 in the town, AU that is! There is one 200kw FTE TE. The rest of the people own SS commodores. It's funny when i heard the first reports couple of years ago about uneven tyre wear on the back wheels.
:s6:
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub