Stuck accelerator - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 12:56   #1 (permalink)

Stuck accelerator

Hey first time poster here.....my wife drives a 2002 ford escape XLT. she was on her way to work this morning on the highway approaching traffic when the throttle advanced to full! She is not a car person so was lucky to not crash, and i'm sure alot of panick was involved....she managed to stop the vehicle and a passing police officer witnessed her erratic driving pulled up and came up to the car and the accelerator was still wide open. as you can tell my wife was very upset....the officer was able to shut off the car and confirmed it wasn't due to a floormat. The police basically seized the vehicle and it is currently in for inspection at the police station. Any ideas what caused this? the vehicle was recently in to the shop and had the throttle positioning sensor changed...i'd like to assume that this caused my problem but am waiting for the police report. I've had it with this ford....i'm just hoping theres not major engine damage!! as i want to sell this piece of junk....this is one of multiple problems with this truck.! thank you all for your time!
jetpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 18:27   #2 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Re: Stuck accelerator

Same throttle supplier as Toyota?
Old 05-02-2010, 22:33   #3 (permalink)

Garage

There is a recall on the throttle cable for that year. You can go to Ford's website and see if your vehicle has had the recall done by entering your VIN number.

Good Luck! Glad the wifey is alright.
Old 05-20-2010, 20:14   #4 (permalink)
canuck

One throttle problem and it's junk...OK. jetpowered, sorry to hear about the problem, but keep in mind anything man made will have problems. At least the wife's OK. Oh, and I like to rant, so don't take it to heart!:

As much as it is the electronic controls that cause the problem, the driver can easily fix it. Testing was done recently, as well as years ago, that by putting maximum force on the brake pedal under full acceleration will still slow the vehicle in a relatively quick pace. Most drivers don't think to put the transmission into neutral. This was Toyota's problem, the majority age of their drivers are retired and don't have the reaction time needed before they end up getting into an accident. Years ago, floor mats weren't secured to the floor via clips, so I find it funny how Toyota blames it on floor mats which people can just throw out anyway and buy new ones, only for those to move around all the same. Old folks should know this! Weird.

For 0% financing, I'd buy a Toyota.

Besides, everyone who drives is technically a 'car' person. If they can drive, they should know how to handle their vehicle or get additional training. A car enthusiast is different than an everyday driver, but even as an everyday driver I was trained during my first in-car lesson I ever had on how to properly use all the gears on the transmission. Just like the people that take an IQ test, and don't even know what IQ stands for.

When my wife learned to drive, she was scared to put the throttle to the floor (merging on highway). Then she stops last second for a yellow light to the point where the ABS kicks in. I told her if she can push one pedal to the floor, she can do the same to the other and that cured that problem. I drive like grandma, don't get me wrong, my own dad hates how I drive, because I follow the rules of the road, and no, I refuse to drive with him because he doesn't follow any rules. He lets his confidence get the better of him, which creates an aggressive driver. It's all about control, if you can control your vehicle, you can control almost any situation that you'll run into. Good training goes a long way, not just enough to pass and get a license, as those are the folks that are most likely to get into accidents be it with another vehicle, or all on their own. Alright, I'll stop.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 20:59   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Hey 360ci, it makes sense to me.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:17   #6 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Hey 360ci, it makes sense to me.
Good! It's just a shame that it doesn't make sense to the 98% of people that hold a license; valid or otherwise.

After my first few years of college I thought about going back, getting my doctorate and finding a cure for stupid. However, the more I thought about it the more it didn't make sense. Not that a cure for stupid isn't possible, but people are too stupid to realize they need my cure in the first place, so it would all be for nothing. Perhaps its just me, but I've began to notice that more and more drivers are turning two-faced. Most of the time they're an idiot in person as well as behind the wheel, but lately driving is making good people go mad once they get behind the wheel and person #2 kicks into overdrive. Postal carriers have been a menace here the last couple weeks, not just in my city.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub